“The Westin is where it is at!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   811 Spruce St, Saint Louis, MO 63102 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #11 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Springfield, Illinois, United States
“The Westin is where it is at!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

The Westins hotel has an excellent location, a wonderful bar, resturant and concierge staff the night bar staff including (Misty!) was very friendly and helpful! They even helped my sister and I celebrate our birthdays, in style twice in the month of September. At the checkout (Yvette) was also extremely helpful and friendly, checking in and out was a breeze....and directions were offered for every place of interest..!

Room Tip: Actually any of the rooms at this location were great!!! Very spacious :-)
Green Features: The hotel seemed very clean and green. Water conservation and electricity seemed to be effective and efficient.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
I'm thrilled to know we were part of your and your sister's birthday celebration! Thank you for complimenting Misty and Yvette, I'm thrilled to know they offered such pesonalized, attentive service. We look forward to being part of your annual celebration for many years to come!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Overall, this hotel was what you would expect from a Westin. Nice service and great rooms. The rooms are huge and really beautiful. I ate dinner twice in the restaurant and found the food to be very good with excellent service.

However, the hotel has a few issues. First, I've never been to a four-star hotel with such a messy looking front desk. The entire weekend, there were paper bags and luggage visible along the wall behind the front desk. Also, their items for sale make it look like a convenience store counter rather than a nice hotel. The "store" area should be somewhat separate, like it is in many hotels (the front desk can still man it...just put it all to the side and build in a wall or something). Also, they said there was no concierge service despite having a concierge desk there...another odd thing. Overall, I found the whole front lobby to be pretty underwhelming compared to the really nice rooms.

Another strange thing was that both days, the breakfast buffet was temporarily in the lobby due to a "group" eating in the restaurant. Again, very strange priorities...typically meeting groups eat in conference rooms, not in the actual hotel, which forced other guests to eat on tiny tables in a cramped space. The poor wait staff was climbing all over each other because there was no space in there (although they handled it very well). The scene appeared like a Comfort Inn breakfast area, not a Westin restaurant. The buffet was expensive and very limited. Based on my experiences at similar hotels, my guess is that the buffet typically has more options when it's in the regular restaurant. They should have discounted it for people. Lastly, the cook making the omelets was very nice, but couldn't do it very well. They were runny and the second day mine came out looking having fallen apart when he folded it over. Pretty unusual for a four-star hotel.

I would stay there again, but honestly I would stay at the Hyatt downtown before I'd stay at this Westin. The Hyatt has much smaller rooms, but it's ready for "prime time" where this hotel is a bit amateurish despite its nice employees and great rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed comments from your recent stay with us. Because of our historical buildling, we are limited when it comes to construction, and or adding addtional 'stores' and or meeting space; and for this I do apologize. . We offer sundries at the front desk in the event a guest has a craving for something sweet, or has inadvertently left necessities at home. I will share your comments regarding the omlets with our Executive Chef so that he may make corrections immediately. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Urbana, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

First off, I'm a Starwood Platinum member so I travel a fair amount and often stay at Westin hotels. This hotel is very nice in terms of physical layout (rooms are great). The restaurant is also very nice with good service (about what you'd expect at a Westin or W). I should also note that this is my first negative review of a Starwood property and I am sufficiently frustrated that it might be my last.

The front desk and valet, however, are an entirely different story. The valet was completely absent every time I drove up to the hotel and I had to go looking for him twice after waiting for 10 or 15 minutes. The people at the front desk are poorly trained, the front desk is apparently understaffed, and waits were inordinately long (they weren't moving particularly fast). However, these were also minor annoyances.

I asked for my bill to be emailed to me because I was in a rush. It wasn't emailed (this also is a minor annoyance) so I called and got the bill sent to me. There were charges on the bill that were incorrect (parking for a night I did not park at the hotel, internet charges that should not have been assessed because I have Delta Crossover benefits, etc.). This would also ordinarily be a minor annoyance. However, after 5 phone calls, 20 minutes on hold in total (being disconnected twice), and being transferred to a voicemail once that cut off after a few seconds, I finally gave up on trying to get the incorrect charges removed from my bill. I won't be staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't bother unless you are very very patient.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share comments from your recent stay. I apologize that you encountered many opportunities as our guest. We do our very best to provide each guest individual, personalized service, and sometimes that prevents us from moving particularly fast. I am happy to personally rectify your bill; we do not want guests paying additional for amenities that are included as a benefit, or if charges were posted incorrectly. We stand read to welcome you back so that we may offer the kind of service for which we are known.
Ankeny, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I recently stayed 4 nights at the Westin with friends for a girls' get-away in St Louis. This was a wonderful experience. The rooms are spacious, well-appointed and the beds are comfortable. But most of all, this hotel has a first class staff. They are friendly and helpful from the bell staff at the main door, to the front desk, to the restaurant/bar. We really felt like they were glad we came. The breakfast buffet is super. When in the restaurant/bar seek out Rod Chamberlain. He's a great waiter and fun guy. He greeted us each morning like an old friend. I'll definitely stay here the next time I'm in St. Louis.

Room Tip: A higher floor facing out onto front entrance was perfect.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Our staff will be delighted to hear you think they're first class! Our historical building allows for spacious guest rooms and spacious guest bathrooms to complement our unique layout. We stand ready to welcome you back the next time you find yourself in St. Louis; we are truly glad you came! Thank you for taking the time to share comments!
Paducah, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here for one night to attend a Red's game. You cannot get any closer to the action than by staying at the Westin. I had always wanted to stay here but usually the prices are up there when a game is being played or the hotel is always sold out. Used SPG points to secure a night. The room was magnificent. The beds? Wow, so comfy. Slept great! The bathroom was outrageously huge! Felt like I was staying at a resort and not in downtown St. Louis! Can only hope that we stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We hope you stay here again as well--we stand ready to welcome you back! Thank you for taking the time to post comments from your recent stay with us. I'm thrilled to hear you slept great in our Heavenly Bed! Our convenient location is steps away from major attractions, sports venues and dining options. Thank you again!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Our family stayed in this hotel for one night when driving through St. Louis. The rooms are beautiful...bed comfortable and that's all the nice things I have to say. Our vehicle had the window smashed in while parked in the fenced, attendant manned parking lot. Seeing how they had window sized plastic cut and duct tape handy, we got the drift this happens on a regular basis. Management apologized and said their insurance company would take care of the damage.....THAT WAS A LIE. When we returned home from our trip a very rude man from their insurance company called and said "they were not responsible". If management would not have said this to us (in front of witnesses) we would not have have been upset. The fact they lied to our face was not very "hospitable". Beware if you stay here with out of state license plates....as management told us thieves break into cars with out of state license plates looking for GUNS. Oh....they were nice enough to take the parking fee off our bill....wasn't that nice of them? And to add insult to injury....the general manager accused me of lying.....saying manager Wade Weistreich never told us Westin would take care of the FIVE of us whose vehicles were broke into that night. That's right five vehicles.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Robert W, General Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Laurie H,
Thank you for your review of the Westin St. Louis. I was glad to read that your accommodations were to your satisfaction.
I am very disheartened to read about your feelings on the way the situation with your rental car vehicle was handled. It is very unfortunate this situation occurred in the first place, and at the time of our phone conversation you had my sincerest apology. In our conversation I only stated that it would be very difficult for a seasoned manager such as Wade to obligate the actions and outcome of an Insurance Company’s decision. In addition to my personal apology, we agreed to discuss the final outcome and expense related your claim as it was my best intention to overcome this unfortunate incident.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further concerns.
Rob Weitz
Germantown, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

What a beautiful facility. Probably the nicest hotel I've stayed in. 10' ceilings in the rooms. The bathrooms are amazing. The hotel smells fantastic! Starbucks coffee free in rooms. However, the only downsides are that everything costs extra. Wifi Internet is $12, parking $19 per day and the breakfast, while I thought it was the best hotel breakfast I've had, is $18. A fantastic hotel, but for the price, they could adds few extras as well.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share comments from your recent stay with us! We offer all of the amenities one expects from a four star, four diamond hotel. We offer both self parking and valet parking so that each guest may choose which best fits their needs. Our signature White Tea scent enlivens the senses and is an essential element of our public areas. I'm thrilled to know we're the best hotel in which you've stayed, and we stand ready to welcome you back!

Been to Westin St. Louis? Share your experiences!