“Nice hotel with horrible service” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   811 Spruce St, Saint Louis, MO 63102 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #5 of 124 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Urbana, Illinois
“Nice hotel with horrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

First off, I'm a Starwood Platinum member so I travel a fair amount and often stay at Westin hotels. This hotel is very nice in terms of physical layout (rooms are great). The restaurant is also very nice with good service (about what you'd expect at a Westin or W). I should also note that this is my first negative review of a Starwood property and I am sufficiently frustrated that it might be my last.

The front desk and valet, however, are an entirely different story. The valet was completely absent every time I drove up to the hotel and I had to go looking for him twice after waiting for 10 or 15 minutes. The people at the front desk are poorly trained, the front desk is apparently understaffed, and waits were inordinately long (they weren't moving particularly fast). However, these were also minor annoyances.

I asked for my bill to be emailed to me because I was in a rush. It wasn't emailed (this also is a minor annoyance) so I called and got the bill sent to me. There were charges on the bill that were incorrect (parking for a night I did not park at the hotel, internet charges that should not have been assessed because I have Delta Crossover benefits, etc.). This would also ordinarily be a minor annoyance. However, after 5 phone calls, 20 minutes on hold in total (being disconnected twice), and being transferred to a voicemail once that cut off after a few seconds, I finally gave up on trying to get the incorrect charges removed from my bill. I won't be staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't bother unless you are very very patient.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share comments from your recent stay. I apologize that you encountered many opportunities as our guest. We do our very best to provide each guest individual, personalized service, and sometimes that prevents us from moving particularly fast. I am happy to personally rectify your bill; we do not want guests paying additional for amenities that are included as a benefit, or if charges were posted incorrectly. We stand read to welcome you back so that we may offer the kind of service for which we are known.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Ankeny, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I recently stayed 4 nights at the Westin with friends for a girls' get-away in St Louis. This was a wonderful experience. The rooms are spacious, well-appointed and the beds are comfortable. But most of all, this hotel has a first class staff. They are friendly and helpful from the bell staff at the main door, to the front desk, to the restaurant/bar. We really felt like they were glad we came. The breakfast buffet is super. When in the restaurant/bar seek out Rod Chamberlain. He's a great waiter and fun guy. He greeted us each morning like an old friend. I'll definitely stay here the next time I'm in St. Louis.

Room Tip: A higher floor facing out onto front entrance was perfect.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Our staff will be delighted to hear you think they're first class! Our historical building allows for spacious guest rooms and spacious guest bathrooms to complement our unique layout. We stand ready to welcome you back the next time you find yourself in St. Louis; we are truly glad you came! Thank you for taking the time to share comments!
Paducah, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here for one night to attend a Red's game. You cannot get any closer to the action than by staying at the Westin. I had always wanted to stay here but usually the prices are up there when a game is being played or the hotel is always sold out. Used SPG points to secure a night. The room was magnificent. The beds? Wow, so comfy. Slept great! The bathroom was outrageously huge! Felt like I was staying at a resort and not in downtown St. Louis! Can only hope that we stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We hope you stay here again as well--we stand ready to welcome you back! Thank you for taking the time to post comments from your recent stay with us. I'm thrilled to hear you slept great in our Heavenly Bed! Our convenient location is steps away from major attractions, sports venues and dining options. Thank you again!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Our family stayed in this hotel for one night when driving through St. Louis. The rooms are beautiful...bed comfortable and that's all the nice things I have to say. Our vehicle had the window smashed in while parked in the fenced, attendant manned parking lot. Seeing how they had window sized plastic cut and duct tape handy, we got the drift this happens on a regular basis. Management apologized and said their insurance company would take care of the damage.....THAT WAS A LIE. When we returned home from our trip a very rude man from their insurance company called and said "they were not responsible". If management would not have said this to us (in front of witnesses) we would not have have been upset. The fact they lied to our face was not very "hospitable". Beware if you stay here with out of state license plates....as management told us thieves break into cars with out of state license plates looking for GUNS. Oh....they were nice enough to take the parking fee off our bill....wasn't that nice of them? And to add insult to injury....the general manager accused me of lying.....saying manager Wade Weistreich never told us Westin would take care of the FIVE of us whose vehicles were broke into that night. That's right five vehicles.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Robert W, General Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Laurie H,
Thank you for your review of the Westin St. Louis. I was glad to read that your accommodations were to your satisfaction.
I am very disheartened to read about your feelings on the way the situation with your rental car vehicle was handled. It is very unfortunate this situation occurred in the first place, and at the time of our phone conversation you had my sincerest apology. In our conversation I only stated that it would be very difficult for a seasoned manager such as Wade to obligate the actions and outcome of an Insurance Company’s decision. In addition to my personal apology, we agreed to discuss the final outcome and expense related your claim as it was my best intention to overcome this unfortunate incident.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further concerns.
Rob Weitz
Germantown, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

What a beautiful facility. Probably the nicest hotel I've stayed in. 10' ceilings in the rooms. The bathrooms are amazing. The hotel smells fantastic! Starbucks coffee free in rooms. However, the only downsides are that everything costs extra. Wifi Internet is $12, parking $19 per day and the breakfast, while I thought it was the best hotel breakfast I've had, is $18. A fantastic hotel, but for the price, they could adds few extras as well.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share comments from your recent stay with us! We offer all of the amenities one expects from a four star, four diamond hotel. We offer both self parking and valet parking so that each guest may choose which best fits their needs. Our signature White Tea scent enlivens the senses and is an essential element of our public areas. I'm thrilled to know we're the best hotel in which you've stayed, and we stand ready to welcome you back!
Silver Spring, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The Westin in St. Louis is directly across the street from Busch Stadium. It's got a bit of a view of the Arch too, but you do need to walk a ways to get to the park. The service was great. The lobby was beautiful, and they have self-parking close to the hotel entrance, though it is outside. The valets are always outside in case you are in a hurry, though the valet parking is a bit overprized. The lobby has a restaurante & grill that looked really nice. They also have a lot of brochures and an interactive map for finding out what to do in the area. It's walking distance to some restaurants, though we found that places close a bit early.

The room was very pretty and very comfortable. The ceilings were really high! The bathroom had a full-size soaking tub that was sparkling clean, and very comfortable. The shower had a waterfall fountain head and an attachment where you could move the water in whatever direction you needed it to be, so fo example you could just wash your feet or something without turning on the entire shower. The vanity and sink area were gigantic and very well stocked. The soaps and shampoos smelled great and were not harsh on your body. The bed and pillows were immaculately kept and very comfortable. The desk was large and there was plenty of light -- though you could turn off as many of the lights as you wanted if you wanted to keep it dark. The air conditioner wasn't too loud and you could control it from your room. It also had a nice tv with lots of channels, a huge window with the view of the stadium, and a little fridged stocked with some power bars, candy, chips, and drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic). They had a gym, but it wasn't open 24 hours and it was a bit hard to find --though my colleagues went and enjoyed their work out. Overall it was a very nice stay, and it was quiet.

Room Tip: Ask to stay high up and also facing the stadium, so you can get some nice pictures.
Green Features: The hotel has the option for you to "make a green choice" and pass on the maid service for 1 or all of the days of your stay.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing such detailed comments from your recent stay with us! Our Heavenly Bath allows one to choose from shower, or soaking bath--both offer a refreshing start to the day; and our signature White Tea scent is an essential component to our Heavenly Bath. I'm thrilled to know our associates offered such great service. We stand ready to welcome you back!
Marblehead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have stayed at the Westin in St. Louis three times over a five week period and each visit was better than the previous one. The rooms are new and large with great décor making you feel special as a guest. You cannot beat the location for business or a ballgame. I found the staff to be professional and considerate of the guests. I had one small glitch which the GM resolved for me within 5 minutes and could not have been more accommodating. Having almost 300 nights in Starwood Hotels and staying in over 40 Westins this one has become my favorite.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
I'm thrilled to know we're your favorite Westin! Thank you for taking the time to share comments about your recent stays with us! Our convenient location is steps away from many office buildings, attractions and sporting venues. Coupled with our historical building, our modern decor offers a sophisticated setting whether traveling on buisness or pleasure. I'm delighted to hear our associates are professional and considerate; we stand ready to welcome you back!

Been to Westin St. Louis? Share your experiences!