“Road Warrior Calls the Westin STL "Home"” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   811 Spruce St, Saint Louis, MO 63102 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #5 of 122 hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Road Warrior Calls the Westin STL "Home"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I travel 4 days a week, 50 weeks a year. Within the past year, I've stayed at the Westin STL for 12 consecutive months. I can honestly say there is no other hotel I'd choose in St. Louis. The main reason I stay at the Westin is the people - they know my name, my preferences and go out of their way to accommodate me. It feels like my home away from home. Additionally, the rooms are huge and they have a full service gym (think private gym and not a small hotel gym with 3 machines). Illene at the front desk is phenomenal - always positive, fun and willing to help! The food is also excellent at the Clark Street Grill - although I wish they had more menu selections or at least altered the menu more often. They will occasionally have beer / wine and food pairings in the lobby, but the food never makes it way on the menu (like the delicious duck and risotto). If I could make the hotel even better, it would be with these suggestions:

1. Artwork in hotel rooms is slightly disturbing - very dark themes and images.
2. No power outlets next to the bed (I need constant charging for my laptop and cell phone) - I wish I didn't have to get out of bed to charge my appliances.
3. The valet men are fantastic at the hotel - David, Jimmy, Orlando and Gary - all wonderful! I wish I could compensate them better via tips; however, I rarely carry cash. Thus, I wish the hotel would allow guests to tip on their room bill - this would be a great customer service benefit and ensure their staff is well compensated.
4. I spend my entire day away from my family, friends and home - when I get to the hotel I like to go to my room, order room service and relax. The room service staff is great - Steve is my favorite, he knows all my custom orders! My only regret is the food stamp card, which gives users points for each meal they eat at the Clark Street Grill. Apparently, you do not qualify if you order room service. This baffles me, as room service costs significantly more. I'd like the hotel to include this option for room service, particularly for people who stay 3 nights a week.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for the review! We do sincerely appreciate your candid feedback, both the positive comments and your suggestions for areas of opportunity! We truly value your unwavering loyalty and providing us the opportunity to continue to grow and improve our guests' experience. I have shared your comments with the valet staff, Ilene, and the managment team and assure you that we are dedicated to improving processes in any way possible to enhance each stay. We stand ready for your next arrival!

819 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Over the Rainbow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We bought a Living Social deal for a weekend stay February 21-24. That happened to be the weekend of a major snow storm. The hotel had our room ready earlier than check-in time since we were traveling from out of town with a great view and more than comfortable accomodations.

The first hiccup was with the drink and food voucher. The manager in the restaurant pointed out our drink voucher was good for any cocktail. The waitress said no and that it was only good on wells. The managers never came back to our table or could be flagged down easily to clarify. I ordered two whiskey drinks, which I assumed would be wells since I didn't ask for a call or premium liquor. I was comped the one and charged for a premium on the second when I didn't order it.

The second hiccup was with a request at the front desk. I have a tendency to get nose bleeds when the air is dry. I stopped by the front desk after dinner and asked for a humidifier, which I saw on the list of items available. The person I asked said that they didn't have one, even though it was on the list. She supposedly check with her supervisor who also said no. When I checked back about 15 minutes later, Yvette was willing to call housekeeping and see if there was one. There was and it was immediately brought to our room.

The last hiccup was that our bed linens were dirty when we arrived. Lynn was great and made switching out our linens her last stop of the day.

Room Tip: Corner suites were relatively quiet and ask for a view of the stadium, especially during baseball se...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your review and candid feedback! We sincerely appreciate your comments as we continually strive to grow and enhance each guest's experience. I apologize for the missed opportunities and assure you we are addressing with the proper staff. I am delighted that we were able to accomodate an early check-in and that you enjoyed your room and view! I hope we have the opportunity to host you again in the future!
Kansas City, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Westin! We were first greeted by Gary, (the doorman?) who really set a standard for service. I understand he's retiring soon--I'm sure it will be very hard to replace him with someone that is as friendly and helpful. Our room was large and comfortable. It only had one chair--the one at the desk--and while the bed is very comfortable to sleep on, it wasn't too comfortable to sit on while watching TV. My only complaint was the staffing at the bar. The hotel was entirely sold out as the "team hotel" for the MVC basketball tournament. I would have thought they would have anticipated the crowd, but they were VERY understaffed in the bar each night we were there. I felt sorry for the server who was working non-stop. This was a good place to stay and the location would be great for a baseball weekend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review! I will share your comments with Gary and thank him for his friendly and helpful service. I appreicate your feedback regarding the staffing in the bar and will share this with our Food and Beverage Management team. We sincerely enjoy being a part of the Missouri Valley Conference each year and look forward to hosting you again!
Paducah, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I would like to say this was the best stay at any hotel i have ever been to. I was greeted first by David with valet. I could write the whole review on them because it set the standard for the stay. We got our stuff they asked if they could help i was fine doing it myself but i should have them do it too much stuff for two people. My wife and I went in and checked in and we booked a standard king, well to our delight they said that we were booked for a junior suite, wow wait sorry WOW!!!! Didnt even need to ask for an upgrade because they went ahead and did it Really Awesome!!!! Went up to room and it could have been the Presidential Suite because it felt like it. We relaxed in the room and decided to eat at the restaurant in the hotel, Clark Street Grill, some of the best food I have eaten, if you go and is still on the menu, eat the scallops they dress them with a bacon and apple chutney my mouth is druelling because i want to have it again. Next day went out in the city it is right beside the metrorail station, first seemed shady but good security. Came back and wanted to go further around city so we went back to hotel to get our car. Valet service not just went to get the car but they RAN to get the car awesome service. Cant say enough cant wait to go again. Thank you so so so much for your awesome service Westin St. Louis

Room Tip: When booking let them know about an anniversary they may upgrade you llike they did for us.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review! We are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for choosing Westin St. Louis to celebrate your anniversary! I will share your comments with David and the valet staff and thank them for their outstanding service. I'm glad we were able to accomodate an upgrade for your special ocassion. We hope to see you soon!
Indianapolis area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed over the first weekend of March using 2 Living Social vouchers, and I must say I would stay again without a discount.

The initial experience upon check-in made me feel like "oh great, another Living Social couple." They were polite, but not the its so great you're here greeting expected from a Westin. But after that, everything was outstanding.

The room was huge with a bathroom beyond belief. There was a seperate tub from the shower, and both were big enough for 2.

Our voucher included free drinks and apps, so we visited the bar both nights. Usually the portions at downtown hotels never seem to match the price, but that is not the case here. We couldn't finish what we ordered Friday night, so we adjusted accordingly for Saturday night; and both nights they were quite tasty.

We didnt get a chance to chat with Andy (Fri), but had a blast with Dawn and Esther on Saturday (along with the bar/restaurant mgr that night). They all made us feel very welcome and took excellent care of us.

This place has a Metro stop right outside the entrance, and the 3rd base entrance to Busch Stadium is across the street from the rail entrance. Great location!!

• Stayed March 2013
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for the review and choosing Westin St. Louis for your recent stay! I will share your comments with Andy, Dawn and Esther and thank them for their personal and welcoming service! We stand ready for your next arrival.
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

The problem with converting old factories & warehouses into hotels is that you'll have to compromise on something.
In the case of the Westin STL, the compromise comes with the design of the place....it's a maze!
If you're trying to get to the gym or staying in the adjoining part of the hotel, getting around is a bit of a mind bender.
After having been moved to a bigger room- as my first one smelled of a chemical floor cleaner (and a stunning vis a vis onto a wall), I had a pretty decent view and was quite content.
The usual amenities in the bathroom were nice (though sparse when compared to the Four Points I was coming from in NYC SoHo).

Internet connectivity didn't work very well (a question of access point density that's all) AND though the policy that the 11bucks a day was PER DEVICE was waived at checkout (iPhone, work pc and personal PC for 33 bucks a day?)- that policy needs to be reconsidered imho.

The gym was being renovated- though when completed I am sure it will be very nice.

Overall, the service was detail oriented and the team clearly focused on keeping the customer satisfied- which I can only salute.

Would recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the review! We sincerely appreciate your candid feedback and the opportunity to continually grow and enhance our guests' experience. The Westin St. Louis has a rich architectural background and history. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and and the service of our staff. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!
Oxford, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Westin St. Louis is one of the most unique and accommodating hotels I have visited. From the beginning there is a smiling face or two to greet you, help you park, and assist you with your check-in process. All the staff were extremely helpful. It does take a bit to find your room as the hotel winds around and some of the rooms are accessed across a breeze-way on one of the floors. Once in the room, the accommodations are exceptional. The bathroom is of spa quality and the bed is quite literally heavenly. One small downside I found was that there were no outlets next to the bed. Since my cell phone is my alarm clock, it was a little annoying to have to plug it in and leave it on the floor. One of the best features of this hotel is the Clark Street Grill housed on the lobby level. Every meal is exceptional and the servers are wonderful. In particular a server by the name of Rod Chamberlain provided friendly and attentive service at one of my breakfasts. Although I stayed in the winter, I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to stay there in the spring as the Cardinal's baseball stadium is literally across the street from the hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for the review and recommedation! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff particularly friendly and helpful! I will share your comments with Rod and thank him for his personal service. The Westin St. Louis does offer unique rchitectural features throughout the hotel including a three-floor sky bridge connecting our two buildings. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!

Been to Westin St. Louis? Share your experiences!