“Westin Saint Louis – homespun hospitality at its best!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   811 Spruce St, Saint Louis, MO 63102 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #4 of 124 hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Westin Saint Louis – homespun hospitality at its best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The circumstances of being “stuck” in St. Louis when Hurricane Sandy hit the northeast coast turned a three-night stay into a totally unexpected seven-nighter that began as a major inconvenience and ended as a relaxing impromptu and memorable mini vacation. The organization I work for had just concluded a three-day around-the-clock business meeting at the Westin St. Louis, and I was SO exhausted and ready to go home. At meetings’ end, I checked out and after an all-day wait in the airport, “Sandy” had plans for colleagues and I to stay put due to cancelled flights. This is where the Westin staff made our extended stay so pleasant. We were all promptly re-booked and able to check-in without delay and my preference for a low-floor close to street level and gym was accommodated immediately.

After re-checking in, the Clark Street Grill staff warmly welcomed our party for a late dinner. The ‘Grill’ was such a positive experience with regard to its menu and service which together set it apart from the competition. Dining healthy on the road – and having vegetarian-friendly choices – is important to me and I’ll start by saying the salads and fresh veggies there are Awesome! Room service is prompt, courteous and friendly, and the oatmeal (which is amazing!), fruit smoothies (made to order), and Starbucks were an awesome treat to look forward to each morning!

The old brick building is aesthetically beautiful with 1890s character, having been converted from the turn-of-the-century Cupples Station railroad complex. Guest rooms are quiet, comfortable and well-appointed for a business or vacation stay.

The hotel – located right next to Busch Stadium – is in a prime location for walking to lunch/dinner, seeing historic sites, shopping, and walking, running or biking along the Mississippi at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial/Gateway Arch park.

Hotel gyms are usually an afterthought, but not at Westin Saint Louis! I was pleased to discover how complete the gym was with its expansive free-weight room to complement the adjoining aerobic/cardio/weight machine rooms. Have to say, I was completely in awe of the fact that the free-weight room had an “old school” t-bar rowing contraption that I haven’t seen in years…needless to say, I had to rib my gym at home for not having one of these gems!

I would highly recommend this hotel to other organizations for its comfortable and spacious meeting rooms, cordial and accessible information technology and hospitality staff and central U.S. location and proximity to the airport.

Lastly, a sincere thanks to the hotel and Clark Street Grill staff for the professional and personable, warm, homespun hospitality. Their attention to the small things and details of the day-to-day is where they excel to make this a 5-Star stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for submitting such a detailed review, filled with compliments! While I wish the circumstances surrounding your extended visit could have been different, I'm delighted you felt relaxed and at home. I have shared your comments with our associates and personally thanked them for providing such attentive service, especially during a stressful time for you. I appreciate your 5 star rating and recommendations! We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back whenever your travels bring you back to St. Louis!

907 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Great location and the train to the airport is right next door.
The rooms have high ceilings and are nicely appointed. Great bed. It is near the baseball stadium and I was told that it gets noisy on game nights.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments! We are conveniently located in the heart of downtown St. Louis, just steps away from many attractions, dining venues as well as sports venues. We look forward to hosting you again whenever your travels bring you back to St. Louis!
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I love this hotel. It's my second visit (for work) and I'll have to say I looked forward to coming back. The staff is incredibly friendly plus the rooms are clean and spacious. I normally assume hotel food is going to be just okay, but the restaurant is pretty good (and healthy) - especially breakfast:). Thanks to Rod C. for the awesome service today - it's nice to feel taken care of when you have to travel for work.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review! I have personally spoken with Rod to thank him for providing such attentive service. I've also shared your comments with our culinary staff in the Clark Street Grill. We look forward to welcoming you back for many more visits!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Can't say enough good things about this Hotel! We got married that day and they rolled out the red carpet for me and my Husband!!!! (On a Thursday!) from the bell boys who brought my cell phone to me when they found it in our car when they parked it to the bartender who paid for our drinks to the bell boy calling the restaurant we had reservations at that evening to let them know it was a special night (Ruth Chris's) ! We travel a lot and have never had such amazing service! Will definitely go back and encourage others to do the same!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Christine C, Manager at Westin St. Louis, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share you comments! We hope to part of your annual celebration for many years to come. I have personally thanked our staff for helping to make your wedding night so memorable. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

It was a pleasure staying at The Westin the past weekend. From the moment we arrived until we left everyone on staff was pleasant, extremely helpful and always with a smile. The room was quite large with the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in...heavenly. I must say that Dawn Graham, in the Clark Street Bar and Restaurant was amazing; she was bartender, waitress, the whole nine yards, and no matter how busy she was she went out of her way to accommodate all of our group.Thanks Dawn! I highly recommend The Westin, St. Louis!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the recommendation! I have personally shared your comments with our staff, and especially thanked Dawn for being so attentive to your group. We stand ready to welcome you back on your next visit!
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I booked this hotel to attend a convention that was held at the Edward Jones Dome in downtown. The walk to the dome was pleasant and only took about 18 minutes. A taxi ride to the dome was only 3 minutes and cost $10. Either way the location was very convenient for me.

We took the train from the airport which drops off at Stadium exit which is right across the street from the hotel. Very convenient and cost $4 per person and took about 30 minutes once on board. Wait time varies between trains so add on about 10 minutes.

The beds are listed as "heavenly beds" and I must say they were. The room was exceptionally clean and the beds very comfortable with crispy clean sheets. The room decor was pleasant and relaxing. The bathroom had a Jacuzzi tub and a large shower with double shower heads. We opted to skip housekeeping service during our two night stay and received a $5 voucher to use in the restaurant. I liked this option.

The restaurant was nicely decorated with a bar portion and a restaurant portion. The bar section is dimly lit for those who prefer lighting. The service was slow but the food was good. Breakfast buffet was very good but a bit expensive. I ordered an egg-white omelet with broccoli and cheddar that came with my buffet. It was excellent.

All in all I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who enjoys the "little extras" and doesn't mind paying a "little extra" to have them.

Room Tip: From our room we could see the Arch. Very nice!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments! Our convenient location allows for walking to many venues and attractions in downtown St. Louis. I'm thrilled to know that you were left feeling renewed by our Heavenly beds! We do offer the Make a Green Choice program which is rewarding for our guests and the environment alike. I have spoken with our Restaurant manager who has addressed your comments concerning the speed of service with our associates. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'm not a world traveler by any means but this hotel ranks up there as one of the best hotels that I have ever stayed at. We were lucky enough to get a room facing the baseball stadium and when I say facing the stadium, I mean that if there as a game, you could literallly see the people in their seats. Also, the arch frames the stadium so nicely that our group stood at the window for the first 20 minutes just in awe and taking pictures at every different angle.

The room was so spacious and the ceiling (in my particular room at least) was really high which added to the opulence of the room. This room was so fanciful, it inspired our group to actually hit the minibar; which has never happened before! The bathroom was superb with both a double head shower and a full tub. (i am not sure if it was a spa tub).

One of my favorite features was the pendant lights hanging over the bed. That feature, along with the smartly decorated artwork really made the room feel unique.

Great choice, especially if you're able to get a stadium view!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the detailed review, that include so many compliments! Our historical building allows us to offer spacious guest rooms with high ceilings. Most of our guest rooms offer both a standing shower and a soaking tub, which leaves one feeling refreshed. We look forward to the opportunity of hosting you again, whenever your travels bring you back to St. Louis.

Been to Westin St. Louis? Share your experiences!