“Perfect 60th Birthday Dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: South Broadway
St. Louis, MO
“Perfect 60th Birthday Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

We did not go to the Beer House we went to the 1904 Steak House. Unfortunately it never shows up when searched, so I will review the 1904 Steak House. For my 50th birthday we went to a famous steak house in South St. Louis County and had the worst meal possible-eating shoe leather that posed as steak. Our experience at the River City Casino 1904 Steak House was the best 60th birthday celebration I could have. We walked in at 5:45 pm and asked if we had reservations (there was only one other party in the restaurant at the time). I told them no since when I called the reservation line a recording came on. They then asked for our name and seated us. Our waiter (wonderful and attentive) got our drink order and proceeded to tell us the specials of the day that were not on the menu. A short time later hot, fresh bread with two types of butter was brought to our table. YUM! What a way to start a great meal. My husband ordered the onion soup as a started and as usual it was very tasty. He and my daughter opted for the crab cakes as an entree with a vegetable and potato for their sides. My other daughter and I decided on a steak and potato. I choose the 9 oz strip steak and my daughter the 9 oz filet. We like our steak well done, but not dry so we ordered it medium-well pink, no red in it. The steaks came out perfect. It is not often that a chef can cook me a steak that I don't have to send back. The steak was juicy and had so much flavor. I cannot have salt on my food so I ordered plain and seasoned it at the table. Our waiter and the staff were so attentive. Our water glasses were constantly kept filled and they made sure we had everything we needed. Once again what a great meal. The restaurant is a little pricey, but well worth the visit.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

The dry aged beef offered here is great. Service was good. There are several other dining options available. We will visit this outlet again.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
MO
“Location under new name”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

This restaurant inside the River City Casino is no longer run by Ruby's. It is called the 1904 Restaurant ( in reference to the Worlds Fair). The prices are slightly cheaper than when Ruby was here. It is basically the same staff, decor,. They don't have as extensive or picturesque raw food bar - but the stuff is still good.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Expected wow - got mediocrity, very disappointed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

Dined July 28, 2010 - 3 couples. Total bill with tip was just over $320 - including one beer and one iced tea.
Service and wait staff were excellent, beautiful setting and decor - nice large table for our group. Waiter was great answering questions and giving recommendations.
Appetizer - tuna tartar - was lacking in flavor. Soup - baked French Onion - very, very good. All six ordered different entrees - 9 oz filet, 12 oz filet, New York strip, salmon, sea bass, and chicken. Tomatoes in the salads were hard and tasteless - with all the wonderful produce right now, chef should have shopped at one of the local markets. Steaks were all just okay. Med rare filet came out med well, re-cooked came out rare and gristly. Chicken and fish dishes were good - not outstanding. Side of truffle creamed corn was best dish ordered.
The birthday guest was served complimentary pineapple upside down cake and coconut ice cream. Cake had a burnt flavor. Group ordered creme brulee and felt it was good.
Overall our group wished we had returned to Lewy Nine's Cafe at the other end of River City Casino - have dined there 3 times and food was excellent. Don't understand the rave reviews for Jeff Ruby's we found on other sites before making our reservations. Definitely not worth the money.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere