“Kota” 4 of 5 stars

Cross street: Washingtion
St. Louis, Missouri
“Kota”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I’ve been to Kota a few times before seeing a show at the Fox. It’s right across the street and they seem to cater to the theatre crowd. The food has been good both times I’ve been. They have a small menu with several seafood items. I went for the first time on a Sunday and they had a special for appetizers. The service was good on the first visit, but there also weren’t a lot of people there. The second time the service wasn’t great in terms of getting our drinks refilled, but the restaurant was also full. They were out of bread and the meal that I wanted! I would go back especially for the appetizers (I loved the shrimp and grits) and the sweet potato fries were really good too! The prices are to be expected (about 8-14 for appetizers, sandwiches, and salads; 18-30 for entrees; 6-8 for drinks). If you are going around show time, you might want to make a reservation as it fills up really fast. They seemed to have a good selection of cocktails on the menu and several tables were full of colorful drinks that looked delicious!

• Visited February 2012

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great pre-theater dining choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

My husband and I have season tickets to the Fox, and we always try to eat at a restaurant near to the theater. Recently we had tickets to a show, there had been bad weather earlier in the day, so we decided to go to dinner at Kota (we parked in the garage at Olive and Grand which made it easy). Our waiter was very nice. We started with cucumber martinis which are very refreshing. The menu has changed. It seems to be a smaller menu with some of my favorite items no longer on the menu. We had the calamari for an appetizer. These are not the small little fried rings you get at other restaurants. These were actually substantial strips of good meat, fried, and served with a dipping sauce. Very tasty! My husband had the Crab Louie salad which was piled high with fresh crab meat. He enjoyed it very much. I had the beef medallions which I thought were very tasty. I did splurge and have a Kota21 adult milkshake for dessert, as they only serve cake and creme brulee. The milkshake was a caribbean shake that tasted like a pina colada, only more decadent. Worth the calories. Now would I say that this is the most fabulous restaurant in St Louis? No. I've been to several places with more gourmet choices. However, the location is so convenient to the Fox, and the food decent, that I would return in the future.

• Visited January 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great place to dine before the Fox!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Have walked past Kota Grill numerous times, always thought it would be too pricey. NOT the case! It is a great location, with numerous choices for dinner ranging from upscale sandwich choices to pasta, steak or seafood options...perfect location just across the street from the Fox Theatre.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“The bathroom was nice....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I found out ofter the food was brought to my table that What I ordered was not what they are making any more...no one said this and it had not been corrected on the menu. I ordered a stuffed grilled chicken with roasted red potatoes and spinach. I got regular potatoes and and a quartered pieces of chicken that had the crap Cooked out of it and the most tasteless roll. I could have been eating cotton... Not comming back. And the poor waitress was working the whole restaurant and the bar all by her self at 5pm! Poor mgt! The place was nice just poor service n food.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Illinois
“Just So So”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

My husband and I went with another couple to Kota on Tuesday before the Paul Simon Show. It was very busy, so I would be willing to give them another chance, however, sevice was not good. They took our order, brought out food and did not return until they brought the check. So no asking how we liked the food, did we need another drink or could we bring you anything else. The best part of the restaurant was that it was right across the street from the Fox.

• Visited November 2011