“Excellent food, Excellent service, A bit pricey” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
315 Chestnut St., (inside Hyatt Regency Hotel), Saint Louis, MO 63102 (Downtown)
314-259-3200
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #190 of 2,590 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 4th Street
St. Louis, Missouri
“Excellent food, Excellent service, A bit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I went for an anniversary. The service and the food were excellent.
For a full meal with an appetizer was $200-300. Having never been to a nice steak house it was a bit of stickershock. Even then, I plan to go back.

Visited May 2012

St. Louis, MO
“Best steak I've ever had, but it wasn't cheap!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was my first visit to Ruth's Chris in St. Louis, but I had visited in other locations so I had some idea of what to expect. I was staying at the Hyatt so I primarily chose this restaurant as it is located in the hotel. I visited on a Monday night so I did not have a reservation. I was seated prompty as the restaurant was not very busy. I started with the lobster bisque which was good, but not excellent as it seemed light on actual lobster. They brought out bread and butter too which was good. I ordered a New York Strip steak with the blue cheese crust, and let me say right here I will be DREAMING of this steak tonight. It was excellent! It came out sizzling and perfect. Cooked to the correct temperature and covered in blue cheese goodness. Ruth Chris obviously knows how to cook steaks. I ordered a side of 3 cheese potatoes, and as with all sides at Ruth Chris is plenty for two people. The potatoes were ok, but nothing to rave about. I ordered the carmelized banana cream pie for dessert. This wasn't really a piece of pie, but a small individual pie. The dessert was certainly big enough to share, and the crust on the pie was light and airy. If you are a banana lover, then this is the dessert for you. Ok, now for why this review isn't getting 5 stars. There were certainly some food highlights in this meal, but others parts that did not impress me. Ruth's Chris prices are high! I expect perfectly prepared food at these prices that is not stingy on ingredients. Also, the service was lacking at this price point. There was lots of waiting for iced tea refills, dishes not removed promptly when a course was finished, and a very long wait to get my credit card processed at the end of the meal. At this price point, the service should be considerably better. If my steak hadn't been as good as it was, I certainly would have been disappointed by this experience. Try to get a table with a view of the arch. As you can see from my picture, the view from this restaurant is amazing!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dodge City, Kansas
“Wonderful food (of course) and accommodation of large group”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was with a party of seven, and as there are few restaurants in Downtown St. Louis, or at least near the Hyatt (so incredibly sad!) and we didn't want to leave our hotel for such a late dinner, we chose Ruth's for our first evening meal in St. Louis. It turns out that the kitchen was shutting down in about 15 minutes, but the maitre'd made sure we were taken care of and even situated us at a table with an excellent view of the Arch, which is just across the street. We never felt rushed, even with the timing of our visit.

There were quite a few people in our group, some of whom were unfamiliar with eating in such an establishment, but the waitress was very kind, understanding and helpful. The wait staff was quick to refill waters and bread (which was quite good!).

I enjoyed a filet cooked medium, and it was superb. As the waitress/waiter will tell you, they broil the steaks at 1800 degrees and serve them on 500-degree plates with butter so it sizzles to the ear and the palate. The steak was wonderful.

Of course, this is a nicer, upscale restaurant. However, even if you are normally uncomfortable in such places, in my experience, the staff will help make you feel as comfortable as possible. Overall, I was very impressed with my introduction to this chain and look forward to another evening at one!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boca Raton, Florida
“Casual indifference leads to quick exit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Having made a reservation, we arrived with hopeful expectations. These were dashed at record speed by front of house staff who could hardly have cared less about our interest in being seated reasonably promptly. "Casual indifference" sums it up. We gave them a fair choice of either take some interest to seat us in the non-busy place or goodbye. They chose - we left. Will not be bothering to try out Ruth Chris again

“Meets the hype.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had dinner here for the first time recently. We had visited the bar occasionally and sampled the appetizers, but this was our first full dinner. The porterhouse for 2 was our entree. It was magnificent. I will definitely return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere