“Excellent BBQ in St. Louis!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Shaved Duck

The Shaved Duck
2900 Virginia Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63118-1227 (Tower Grove)
314-776-1407
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Tower Grove
Baldwin City, Kansas
“Excellent BBQ in St. Louis!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We were referred to the restaurant by a local and WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED!!!!! Seated right away by the hostess and it looked like the diners WERE mostly locals. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu. Got the plate of St. Louis style ribs, pulled beef brisket sandwich, mac and cheese and side of jalepeno cream corn. EXCELLENT BBQ and a variety of craft and local beers. WE WERE SO PLEASANTLY SATIATED! And the bill was very reasonable. The neighborhood on Virginia Ave is very hip and right off the main drag of Arsenal street. You cannot go wrong here folks. I hate to make them any more popular but they are TOTALLY deserving of the raves.
I also understand Guy Fieri has been there and done a show on the place.

As a tip, if you go here for lunch, afterwards go up to Cherokee Row and check out the strip of eccentric antique stores. Very eclectic! It will give you the perfect day in St. Louie!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Ft. Meyers, Florida, USA
“Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This is our "go-to" place for baby-back ribs. The ribs are dry-rubbed and done to perfection! The corn bread with honey butter is our favorite side. Not a fan of the mashed potatoes or corn. We do miss the "frites" they served in the beginning.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
omaha, NE
“Great taste experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We were in town on a college visit, and I let my son pick the restaurant. He looked at Tripadvisor & one other travel site and chose The Shaved Duck. I was not overly excited because I am not a barbeque/ribs person, but I ended up happy with his choice. He got the Big Jimmy Sampler with ribs, brisket, smoked pulled pork and chicken and loved it. He insists that the baked beans with his meal are the best of anywhere. I got the flatbread with pork, apples, bacon & cheese. It was delicious! I also had a good salad to go with it, but forgot what it was called. We enjoyed everything about the entire meal. Our only disappointment - though our waiter was attentive before the meal and after we were served, he disappeared for a long time at the end of the meal and we had to wait a very long time to ask him to box our food and bring us the bill.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Woodbury, Ny
“Best Sauce Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I don't really even eat meat, but we were in St. Louis for 2 nights, and we ate here both of them. I got the crab cakes on night one, but my daughter got the baby-back ribs..they were so good, I had to go back and order them for myself on the 2nd night. Small place, but friendly staff and great food. Go early..no reservations. But they do sell the sauce if you ask!

Visited August 2012
Sparta
“Great desitnation restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The Shaved Duck is a great little restaurant in the Tower Grove neighborhood. It's a good thing we arrived early. We had tickets to a play at the Stray Dog Theater a few blocks away and after we were seated people began arriving and waiting and arriving and waiting. Service only had one flaw with our drinks arrving after the gumbo. Otherwise, our server was most helpful with recommendations and attending to our needs. There is a good list of craft beers to hold up to the "we smoke everything." Though intrigued by the smoked meatloaf, I went with the server's suggestion of the smoked duck breast with cherry/juniper sauce, I was not disappointed. The duck breast was tender almost buttery, but still with some chew. The smokiness lingered in your mouth--all the better to savor the carmelized onion mashed potatoes. I sort of have for people to find out about it. It's a small place and was quite busy--can't imagine what will happen when they are featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives in a few weeks--cause I gotta try that meatloaf.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere