“Fun and entertaining” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cairo, Egypt
“Fun and entertaining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Great and fun place to stay in St Louis. Right of Forrest Park, we stayed there last week end and had a lot of fun.

Staff is friendly and nice and the rooms are of course beautiful and nicely decorated.

We were in the Samuel Beckett one and it was lovely.

The pool area is fun and entertaining. The staff there is wonderful (they need a cash register right there though).

Breakfast was nice and plentiful but a second buffet would be nice during rush times.

A fully stocked up mini bar with some high end alcohols and beers in the room would also be great.

Finally, a 24/7 room service should be provided considering the price of the room.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear jeangab75,
I am so happy to hear you had a wonderful time while staying with us at The Cheshire! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor. I am so glad to hear that the Cheshire team took such great care of you. It is also great to hear that you were able to enjoy Forest Park and all of its amazing attractions. You comments regarding breakfast and in room amenities have been shared with the rest of the team.

We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to St. Louis!
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Columbus, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Cheshire is a charming looking Tudor style with a literary theme. We have stayed there twice,once last year and once more this year. Both times to visit our son who was working very nearby. Unfortunately, there were several problems we encountered: poor housekeeping, beds not made, towels not changed, poor cleaning especially in the tub-shower (some left over hair from the previous occupant is not a good thing). The bed is too soft and the heavy comforter is way too heavy for most people with no options for a light blanket or other type of cover. The air conditioner has to be left on all night otherwise it starts and stops every few minutes with much noisy clunking and clanking. The breakfast was adequate why plenty of fresh fruit. However the serving table is way too small and tucked in an end of a long narrow sitting room. This made the staff put out much too small trays and literally every time I went to get food they were out of something and I had to wait until the brought more. The worst part was the indifference of some of the staff when asked to correct these maladies. Frankly the place is charming but also very annoying to say the least.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
Dear JCHuntington,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Cheshire. It truly is very displeasing to hear that your stay with us was anything but perfect. Your comments will be shared with the entire team so that we can work to constantly improve.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Walking into The Cheshire I was immediately struck by the decor. The rich woods front desk and space behind it with thousands of bookmarks w/tassles. Very neat. But the initial impression quickly took a downward turn. Upon entering our room and placing our luggage down I went into the bathroom to take a shower before heading out to meet with friends.

The bathroom was *filthy*. It was as if the floors hadn't been swept in weeks, let alone mopped... ever. The surfaces all had residues on them. One light bulb was out. A long, black hair was stretched across the toilet while various other hairs (I guess from the previous guest) were strewn at the bottom of the shower. A closer inspection of the rest of the surfaces in the room revealed rather thick layers of dust (on the A/C unit, mirrors, lamps), and the small coffee bar area still had the previous guest's spills on it.

To top it off, the A/C wouldn't work.

Upon calling the front desk, I got an exasperated sounding Andrew A who said he'd send someone up to take care of it. One of the younger staff members arrived with a tub of Clorox wipes. CLOROX WIPES. To clean our bathroom. He spent 5 minutes wiping the floor down by hand with Clorox wipes.

No one swept. No one mopped. No one used commercial grade disinfectants. Not even a look at the shower. And the A/C still didn't work.

So I took photos and headed downstairs. I asked if we could be moved and Andrew deflected and said he would send the housekeeping manager up. The housekeeping manager arrived 20 minutes later as we were trying to get out the door to meet our dinner appointment. He brought a Swiffer-type "mop" and a another tub of Clorox wipes and told me he would take care of it.

As we walked out the front door I asked Andrew A about the A/C and got a "Oh is it not fixed?" Upon promising to take care of it personally I finally got him to tell me that if it wasn't working when we got back he'd move us to another room. Any other hotel would have moved us to another, cleaner room upon finding the bathroom dirty. But not The Cheshire. Not even upon spending 2 hours in a hot, stuffy room waiting for service personnel to do their jobs would they move us to another room.

As compensation, I was offered "a drink" from their bar, as I was heading out the door for dinner.

The beds are comfortable and the room's outfitting was fine, but the lack cleanliness is something I haven't seen in some 2-star motels. If I'm paying $130+ for the luxury they tote on their website and marketing materials, the rooms should at the *very least* be spotless.

Every other hotel in town can do it. Why can't The Cheshire?

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear joelgoodman,
I sincerely apologize for any issues you encountered during your stay at The Cheshire. We pride ourselves on creating great guest experiences, and in your case it appears we missed the mark. I would greatly appreciate the chance to speak with you further regarding this. Please feel free to call us at 314-647-7300 and ask to either speak to myself or our General Manager Tony Dandino. I hope that you can give us another opportunity to show you what our team can do.

Berea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Cheshire for two nights. We were traveling from Cleveland, Ohio and had never been to St. Louis before. We found The Cheshire by doing a little internet research. We had an amazing experience! It is so unique and eccentric - I have never stayed anywhere like it! The service was great, the hotel was clean, the pool (and poolside beverage/food service) was fantastic! We shopped and ate lunch at The Market and had dinner at Fox and Hounds. After beginning our 9- hour drive home I realized I left a rather expensive book in our room. I called the front desk and Sergio immediately headed to our room to look for it. He called my cell phone minutes later to let me know he found it. He took down my address and promised to mail the book to me. Unreal! Great staff! We plan on returning and bringing our two boys in the next month or two. So many great things to do in the city as a family and we have found a wonderful place to stay! The Cheshire is worth every penny!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear cjuhasz1,
I cannot thank you enough for the amazingly kind words about The Cheshire! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves so much. I am also delighted to hear that Sergio was able to resolve your issue so quickly and friendly! He really is such a great asset to this team. We cannot wait to have you and your family back again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Great place to stay! Free bike rental ! Excellent service
Beautiful outdoor pool with awesome seating . Great service Impeccably clean!!! We extended our stay it was so nice & welcoming :) very kind to my kids & beautiful atmosphere with Tea 24/7! Free Breakfast!! We really enjoyed the hotel!!!

Stayed July 2014
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear JenFitz2014,
Thank you so much for taking time to write such a wonderful review of The Cheshire! We truly enjoyed having your family stay here with us! I am so glad to hear that you were well taken care of. We cannot wait for you all to return soon!

Thanks again,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We came into town for a wedding and stayed at the Cheshire for it's charm. Upon arrival the staff was very helpful and courteous. The room was fairly clean and the decor was spot on. We went to breakfast downstairs and our room had the beds made and fresh towels when we got back. Superb! The scavenger hunt for the kids was fun and a nice feature.
We will definitely stay again. If you get the chance to go, hopefully Justin, Ashley and Kimmi are there!! Thanks so much.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Stacey S,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of The Cheshire! We loved having your friends and family here this past weekend. We love that we were able to be a part of the celebration. I am also so glad to hear that Justin, Ashley, and Kimmi took such great care of you. I am so lucky to have people like them who are so passionate about hospitality on The Cheshire team.

We hope to see you again soon,
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We love staying at the Cheshire as it is so pet friendly. Our Black Lab Hanna was a rock star everywhere she went. The staff remembered her name and made she she had her bag of treats. The local neighborhood where we walked her was friendly and people very cordial. The hotel is VERY comfy as well as being very quaint. Wonderful beds with great pillows. The place is relatively quiet so you can rest easily. All is clean and attractive. I love the smell of lemon oil wood polish in the lobby and elevator. The continental breakfast is the morning is lovely. Freshly baked pastries with cheese, egg or spinach with cheese [my fav!] plus bagels, sweet rolls, fruit, toast, yogurt, cereal and many juices, coffee and tea. For a high end place like The Cheshire, we would not expect them to run out of what we consider a staple in the morning like half & half....but they did and not just once. The first time, I was informed the delivery was expected in an hour or 2. This seemed odd as there is a nice grocery store only a block or so away. We were not sure why they did not just send someone to the grocery to cover them until the delivery arrived. However, we could have overlooked this one morning issue and I would not have mentioned it here except it happened the next day too. The next day, they were out of both half & half AND whole milk [which I know I used as a sub for half & half the previous day and guess others did as well]. It was unfortunate they did not handle the outage properly after one day. Little things like that are what can separate a place from being average vs. truly special. This item was the only blight on an otherwise delightful visit. Hopefully, they will resolve that problem so it does not happen again before our next visit! Thanks to everyone there! We truly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We have stayed in several different rooms and all have been good. I would avoid being right next to...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Andrew A, Front Office Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Catherine O,
Please tell Hanna hello from The Cheshire! We loved having your family stay with us! I am so glad to hear that you all enjoyed your stay! I am disappointed to hear about any issues you may have had with breakfast. I'll be looking into this myself to see what happened. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I hope to see you (and Hanna!) the next time you are in town.

Front Office Manager

Been to The Cheshire? Share your experiences!