This is a charming, recently renovated Tudor-style inn between St. Mary's hospital and the giant Amoco sign. Each room is named after a different English author. We stayed in the Harold Pinter room, and I confess that I had not heard of this playwright so it was an educational stay right off the bat! There are some novelty suites for some of the more popular authors such as Shakespeare, Ian Fleming and Robert Louis Stevenson. For some reason, Tolkien's is just a regular room -- I think it would be great if they could turn it into a Hobbit Hole but I suppose that might go over-budget. I asked to look at one of the novelty suites but unfortunately they were all occupied. Next time I come back, maybe I will stay in the Passage to India suite.
Here were some pros and cons of this hotel:
- super-friendly staff
- Fox and Hounds pub is cozy and they give a generous pour. To get an idea about the ambience, imagine one of the old Steak and Ale restaurants only nicer and smaller.
- Carl's deli down the street makes the best hot pastrami sandwich I have tasted.
- you can rent a bicycle for free (3 hours) and ride around Forest Park.
- our room was very quiet and dark, so we slept well.
- 4 computers with large monitors in the business center. I have stayed at a Marriott which was much larger but offered only 2 computers.
- Aveda bath products.
- as at least one other reviewer pointed out, those sharp wooden bed posts jut out right around knee level. Ouch! I hit it 3 times (ok, I am a slow learner), and my wife also hit it and got a nasty bruise.
- the closest Metrolink station is about 2 miles away and the hotel does not offer shuttle service.
- the accomodations are not super-remarkable or plush, just cozy. No bathrobes or slippers, etc. And the breakfast was also just ok, nothing remarkable. On the other hand, usually one has to pay more for those things so I am still giving an Excellent overall rating for value.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for staying at our facility. We appreciate the positive feedback from your stay and were happy to hear how much you enjoyed the décor, staff, and amenities. We hope you come back soon to stay in one of our novelty suites. Thank you again for taking the time to post a review, we sincerely appreciate it and can't wait for you to return!
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.