“Little taste of England in America.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Family Retreat Package
Ranked #28 of 122 hotels in Saint Louis
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Little taste of England in America.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

A very busy hotel which at the same time is very friendly, the inside decor is far from minimalistic and is very homely. The room which I stayed in was a suite and the comfort level was excellent. I usually have problems with the beds but this one was like the princess and the pea. As for the bar staff they were fantastic and Stella on tap well life can't get any better.........especially when there note house........

Room Tip: The suites are perfect. Each room has a theme. Enjoy and read the book. I stayed in the Sir Walter S...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Tony D, Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Mark,

We're very happy that you had such a great stay at our property and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. To make your experience even better, we've established new dining options along with a gastropub which includes over 32 beers on tap!

We hope you'll return to experience more of The Cheshire and all of our Novelty Suites.

The Cheshire Team

395 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The staff is generally helpful and polite. The bar in house has good food, and is a very popular spot for locals. The service there is great. The breakfast is well above average, not a huge offering, but well chosen and high quality. The lobby area is more a long and angled hall than the typical large overdone lobby, but it's very nice, and has a beautiful fireplace. The rooms are fine, nothing to write home about, but no complaints. The location will either be great or to far out depending on what you are lolling for. It's near the galleria shopping area and the Clayton business district. It is not terribly near downtown-about a $25 cab.

• Stayed January 2013
Tony D, Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
spiil,

Thank you writing and sharing your experience at our property! The Cheshire is the perfect destination if you were coming into town to enjoy Forest Park, shopping, the local universities, a romantic getaway, or just want to get away but stay close enough to the busy downtown area.

Our iconic Fox and Hounds Tavern will continue with its great service as we hope you'll return to enjoy again. We hope to hear from you soon!

The Cheshire Team
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is a charming, recently renovated Tudor-style inn between St. Mary's hospital and the giant Amoco sign. Each room is named after a different English author. We stayed in the Harold Pinter room, and I confess that I had not heard of this playwright so it was an educational stay right off the bat! There are some novelty suites for some of the more popular authors such as Shakespeare, Ian Fleming and Robert Louis Stevenson. For some reason, Tolkien's is just a regular room -- I think it would be great if they could turn it into a Hobbit Hole but I suppose that might go over-budget. I asked to look at one of the novelty suites but unfortunately they were all occupied. Next time I come back, maybe I will stay in the Passage to India suite.

Here were some pros and cons of this hotel:
Pro:
- super-friendly staff
- Fox and Hounds pub is cozy and they give a generous pour. To get an idea about the ambience, imagine one of the old Steak and Ale restaurants only nicer and smaller.
- Carl's deli down the street makes the best hot pastrami sandwich I have tasted.
- you can rent a bicycle for free (3 hours) and ride around Forest Park.
- our room was very quiet and dark, so we slept well.
- 4 computers with large monitors in the business center. I have stayed at a Marriott which was much larger but offered only 2 computers.
- Aveda bath products.

Cons:
- as at least one other reviewer pointed out, those sharp wooden bed posts jut out right around knee level. Ouch! I hit it 3 times (ok, I am a slow learner), and my wife also hit it and got a nasty bruise.
- the closest Metrolink station is about 2 miles away and the hotel does not offer shuttle service.
- the accomodations are not super-remarkable or plush, just cozy. No bathrobes or slippers, etc. And the breakfast was also just ok, nothing remarkable. On the other hand, usually one has to pay more for those things so I am still giving an Excellent overall rating for value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Tony D, General Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear krepki,

Thank you for staying at our facility. We appreciate the positive feedback from your stay and were happy to hear how much you enjoyed the décor, staff, and amenities. We hope you come back soon to stay in one of our novelty suites. Thank you again for taking the time to post a review, we sincerely appreciate it and can't wait for you to return!

Pasadena, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed for one night during a vacation, and it was the closing night of the London Olympics, so apropos! First off, the location and area are excellent; having never stayed outside of downtown on business trips, the Forest Park area was a wonderful surprise. The common areas at the Cheshire are really charming and unique, and this made for a nice breakfast. The room itself was standard set-up and nicely decorated, but there were definitely some less-than-clean sectors of the bathroom and the housekeeper seemed pretty harried overall. In addition, the pub served me the absolute worst whiskey sour I've ever had ... not even close to right. Still, it was a more than adequate hotel with good proximity to Forest Park, the Missouri History Museum, Wash U, and the home of the best burger EVER, O'Connell's Pub on Shaw.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear PassedenaBunch,

We appreciate the feedback from your stay and were pleased to hear how you enjoyed the location, décor, and room setup. I apologize that some of the room was not up to standard and we will definitely take your concerns to heart. We hope that you will come back and stay with us again, and be sure to try out our new restaurant and Gastro Pub next door.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

First off, I'd like to say that this hotel had its charm...like if you were going to visit your grandmother who had collected all sorts of knick-knacks during her travels. The hotel was richly decorated and was fun to walk through. My kids enjoyed doing the scavenger hunt through the hotel. If we were there longer, it would have been fun for them to create their own.

The one thing that left a horrible taste in my mouth was finding that my room was not made up after returning after a day of sightseeing with the kids. Furthermore, the lack of concern from the front desk other than the obligatory "oops, sorry about that" was more reminiscent of a poorly managed budget hotel than one would expect from a specialized boutique hotel.

For a family that is traveling, being able to come back to a room that is freshly made with a turn down service (which they advertise and we did not get) is a simple and important way to end the day and get recharged for the next.

Okay...with that out of the way, some other details.

The clientele of this hotel is a much older crowd...sometines with dogs. I like dogs, but with the obvious shorthandednes of housekeeping, I am a bit wary of the cleanliness of the rooms even more now.

There is underground parking, but if you need above 6.5' clearance, you may not fit. There's a parking lot that you can use instead, but it may be difficult to find a spot if you come at a busy time.

Breakfast was decent. Not as good as most chains, but they did offer fruit, cheese, and turkey for those of you who are trying to stay away from sugary cereals and pastries. The breakfast burritos were pretty dried out from sitting on a hot plate, but my 9-year old loved then anyway.

They had tea and coffee available at all times in the lobby which was nice after a cold day.

We stayed in a double Queen room. The beds had down blankets and were wonderfully comfortable, but they seemed smaller than Queen. They felt more like full-sized. I didn't measure them so I cannot say definitively.

The one word of caution is beware of the bed frame! Each person in our family got hurt by hitting our knees/legs on those danger zones even after watching each other experience that pain. The frame juts out just enough further than the post so that you will inevitably hit it if you're using the posts as reference for how much clearance you have.

The bathroom was arranged a bit oddly. The sink was in the corner next to the toilet and the wall which meant that if you had more than one person in there, it was very awkward. Again, this really applied to folks traveling with families. If it was just me, this would not have been a bother.

Overall, it was a nice hotel that I would recommend to local folks who are not travel-weary with family. In those situations, you need the function of an efficiently run hotel and not the gimmicks. It could have easily been a much better experience, but they fell short.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear couchspud,

Thank you for staying with us at The Cheshire. I was disappointed to hear that your room was not made up and that you received a less than satisfactory response on the matter. Turndown service is typically on request, and I apologize that it was not communicated to you this way. The beds are indeed queens, and we are in the process of getting the frames re- upholstered to help our guests from running into them. We are a unique hotel that offers different and various items that are different from the normal chain hotels. We appreciate your comments from your stay, and we will take those items to improve on moving forward.

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I wasn't sure if this would be a good place to stay while I was visiting the undergraduate campus of Washington University. It turned out to be an excellent choice. It was a very short drive to the campus. I enjoyed the old world charm of the lobby and the room that I had. The staff were quite nice, the hotel was clean and the room room had been updated not too long ago. On the negative side, there was a charge for parking the car in the garage; the lot outside was not available at the time...it may be useable now and hopefully free.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear JonDkinn,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some comments from your stay. We were excited to hear how much you enjoyed the staff, location, and room. Since we do have a limited number of parking spaces, we continue to charge for parking to ensure that our garage is only used for our hotel guests. We hope you continue to come back to our facility on your next trip to St. Louis.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My family recently spent one night at the Cheshire and could not have had more fun. The location is ideal- close to downtown, Forest Park, Clayton... All St Louis has to offer is nearby. We thoroughly enjoyed dinner at Basso- a cool Gastropub on the hotel property. They have a great selection of beer and the food was delish. Our rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and very attentive. I love the Aveda products they use to stock the bathroom! Breakfast was included in our stay so we headed down to breakfast, expecting the usual "free hotel breakfast". Instead of cold eggs and toast, we found lots of fresh fruit-raspberries, pineapple, etc, yoghurt, warm spinach/ cheese croissants, a variety of pastries, bagels, etc and hot Kaldi's coffee! It was a great way to start the day! We can't wait to come back in the summer and take advantage of the pool!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Happytraveler235,

We were very excited to hear how much you enjoyed yourselves while staying with us. We strive to appeal to every person and with our complex next door we have even more options on dining. We are looking forward to your next stay during summer! We have live music, soft seating, and a poolside bar!

Hotel Management

Been to The Cheshire? Share your experiences!