“Casino Promotion- Less than Anticipated” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 N 2nd St, Saint Louis, MO 63102 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #85 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
ST. LOUIS MO
“Casino Promotion- Less than Anticipated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the Lumiere Hotel at least 4 times in the past year and have always enjoyed the best experiences there. The staff are friendly and attentive to our every need. My disappointment lies within the casion's promotion where by earning x amount of points- a certificate entitling you to a one night stay- including weekends is issued. Well, we earned one of these certificates probably 4-6 months ago and have never been able to enjoy the benefit of a one night weekend stay due to hotel availability issues. I realized today that our certificate will expire in 5 weeks so I attempted to book a room with it. I was shocked to find that a room will not be available for our enjoyment on any Saturday night for the next 5 weeks. And this isnt the first time that I have attempted to book a room with this offer- we have tried at least 6 times prior to this and was always rejected due to availability.
The reservations desk representative just laughed and stated that the casino has offered 'lots' of these certificates to others and that they cannot accomodate me. When I shared my frustrations concerning the availability of the offer she seemed to be irritated at my wasting her time. Anyone who frequents casino's realizes just how much money that is spent earning the I believe 500 points that it took to "Earn" this certificate. I am quite disgusted with this situation.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
ST. LOUIS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We went to the Casino and the "Steak and Seafood" Buffet at the Kitchen Restaurant.  Everthing about this place is seedy, dirty, and low-class.  When we parked in the garage and went to the elevators, there were no signs In the vestibule or in the elevators to tell you what floor the casino or restaurants are on.  Not a single sign!  We had to ask strangers.  The buffet was $30 a person.  The floors of the restaurant were filthy.  The employees look dirty.  They wore white shirts and black pants. 90% of the workers shirts looked dirty and gray.   The shirts were wrinkled and half way tucked in.  Overwhelming sloppiness.  Their pants had never seen an iron and some weren't even properly fit....too long.  Hems puddling and dragging on the ground.  Some of the guys had their pants hanging off their tear ends!  Unbelievable.  You get paper napkins and a dirty bucket on your table with shrimp and crab shells in it.  No wine list.  If you want wine the waitress has to go get it from a bar in the lobby.  She said it was about $25 bucks a bottle.  She didn't even say if it was white, red, or what.  We passed on that.  The baked fish and tiny lobster tails were over cooked and rubbery.  Tiny little salad bar with few choices and no lo-cal or lo-fat dressing choices at all.  The food all looked very unappetizing to say the least.  And when you looked at the unkept, sloppy, dirty looking servers, you lost your appetite.  A person that looks dirty, is dirty.  I had one thing that was OK.  A coconut macaroon.  The workers appearance would not have been acceptable at a Denny's or McDonalds.  Dingy.  Rumpled.  Dirty, dirty, dirty!!! We caned home and washed our hands and put on hand sanitizer.  I am not kidding. This place is seedy, folks.  Smelly.  I was so shocked.  The buildings are pretty from the outside.  The employees ruin it.  Slow, rude, unprofessional, lacking common standards for manners, cleanliness, and attitude in dealing with the public.  Just horrible.  I will never go their again and would never recommend any part of this establishment.

• Stayed February 2011
Joebry, Hotel Director at HoteLumiere, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
We appreciate your feedback and will pass your comments on to our Director of Food and Beverage for review.

Regards
Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

we stopped by here one night because we had never been. I have been to several casinos around town here and in other towns- Las Vegas being the big one. While this casino had all the same slots and games everybody else does, this was probably the dirtiest casino I have been too. there were cigarrette butts, empty cups, and just filth in general located between almost all the slots. it was disgusting. for all the hoopla that went into advertising this place as "elite" it most certainly is not.. I can't speak for the hotel part of this place, perhaps the rooms are nice I don't know, but from now on I'll save my casino trips for the other places around town..

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Joebry, Director of Hotel Operations at HoteLumiere, responded to this review, February 16, 2011
“Thank you for your feedback. We take a lot of pride in the condition of our property and this is definitely not the way we’d like our casino to look. We’ll pass your feedback along to our Facilities department so that we can address this issue. Again, we appreciate the feedback and hope that your next visit with us will be a more memorable experience.”
Evansville, IN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

The first time we attempted to stay at Hotel Lumiere (June 2010) was for our first anniversary when we came to St. Louis for a baseball game. Upon check-in, well I should say before check-in, is when our problems began. We had reservations across town at Morton's Steakhouse and wanted to check-in early to get ready for dinner and then the ball game after wards. They could not accommodate this request. We were okay with this, but requested them to make a note not to put us in a room near an elevator and headed to the tight slots at the Lumiere Casino (I know its not the hotel's fault for this, but after living in Vegas for 4 years I have some expectations). When we came back to officially check-in, there was a ridiculously long line, and we ended up getting the run around when we wanted to pay the $50 room deposit in cash. They had to check my casino card to see my status, then told us that if we wanted to pay our deposit in cash, we also had to pay $100 for the deposit PLUS our room cost in cash up front (almost $300). We were just eager to get checked in and get ready, so we gave them the cash and went up to our room- which was directly across from the elevator. We didn't even go in. Back downstairs they gave us a new room where they locked the mini-fridge (I guess $300 cash wouldn't cover a $5 beer?) and the bathroom had a dead bug on the counter top, and pubic hair on the bedspread. We immediately headed to the business center and booked the Union Station Marriott for half the price, but ended up getting to our reservations late. Minnie Green, the manager on duty, was pleasant (after dealing with her "VIPs" first, of course) and offered a complimentary night, which we took her up on last week (Jan 2011). Again more problems at check-in, cigarette holes in the curtains, fingerprints all over the windows, the bathroom lighting is TERRIBLE (two little recessed lights above the mirror, so you can't see anything in the shower (they probably did this on purpose so you couldn't see how filthy it really is) and we couldn't bring our own beer in (we got locked out of the mini-fridge, again and this was not expressed at check-in). Another couple stayed with us and slept on the pull-out couch- they woke up with springs sticking through the mattress. We were going to a Blues game and asked the doorman at the Casino to call for the complimentary shuttle service and he said they would be there in 10 minutes...30 minutes later we ended up taking a cab, but the doorman assured us we weren't forgotten and the shuttle was on the way. I always feel like I'm treated like a 2nd-class citizen. I asked for casino or restaurant coupons, sorry they're all out- on January and June. What a crock! We went to the breakfast buffet at the casino and if you get there before 8AM its $5.95. We paid at 8:03 and instead were charged $11.95- really? Again, a casino thing, but still not good customer service/satisfaction. The only way to make us feel better now is to put us up at the Four Seasons. Lumiere isn't worth staying at even if its free.This General Manager everyone is writing about on here- never heard of him until I started writing this review- never saw him or his name anywhere at the hotel. Epic Fail.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
West Palm Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

I travel every week on business and was shocked when I woke up at home after the trip to be covered by bites. I visited my GP and he shared with me that it was bed bugs. I contacted the hotel..not looking for compensation just to inform them of my situation and they couldn't wait to get me off the phone.

It is just a Embassy Suites that had a quick make over...the bathrooms are ancient and I was the lucky guest to have someone that had large bowel movements the night before as the total was clogges with "poops" when i finally got it to flush

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Joebry, Director of Hotel Operations at HoteLumiere, responded to this review, February 22, 2011
I spoke with your assistant the day she called and shared your concerns with me. I took immediate action to have the room in question inspected by our pest control provider and based on their in depth inspection it was determined that there was no bed bugs in this room and no signs of any pests. The report also outlined that since our opening there has never beed a case of bed bugs in this hotel.

I called your assistant back and even offered to send a copy of the inspection findings to her to validate that there were no pests in this room.

We have our property on a PM program and our facility is serviced on a weekly basis to ensure we consistantly provide a quality product for our guests.

My sincere apology that you may have had an issue somewhere during your travels but I am confident it did not occur here.

Warm regards
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I recently had the opportunity to stay at the Lumiere Place Hotel, and felt compelled to offer this review of my stay. I booked the stay as a gift to my wife to celebrate her birthday and to give her a much needed escape from the trials and tribulations that coincide with being a mother of two children under the age 11. Not long after booking our stay I happened upon this site and became alarmed by the sheer number of negative reviews of this hotel. Rather that cancelling our stay, I contacted the General Manager Joe Bryson and expressed my concerns to him. He was very sympathetic to these concerns, offered no excuses, but rather his unconditional promise that our stay would exceed my expectations. He went so far as to offer his afterhour’s phone number and the request that if we were not satisfied we were to contact him regardless of the hour in which it occurred. From the point we entered the establishment we were met by a huge smile from Ilene who not only checked us in, but also recommended where we should go after we settled in. Ilene then provided us with free cover charge coupons to several nearby nightlife establishments. Once we entered our room we found it to be extremely clean, impressive in size, and offered an awesome view of St Louis. The next day we again found ourselves in need of a dining recommendation and the front desk offered a spirited debate on the best Italian restaurant in St Louis. Following this discussion we finally met Joe Bryson, and he thanked us for choosing his hotel and giving him a chance calm my concerns. The rest of the day we enjoyed lounging at the indoor pool/sauna and while I ventured to the casino the wife seized the opportunity to enjoy a rare afternoon nap. The evening as we entered the lobby to obtain a taxi, we were again greeted with huge smile from Ilene who remembered our names and asked about our plans for the night. It was then we informed her that we were going out to celebrate my wife’s birthday and she very much approved of our choice in restaurants. When returned that evening we found a birthday card had been placed in our room with a hand written note signed by the staff. The next morning we regretfully checked out and returned to the realities of our normal life. Our entire stay exceeded our greatest expectations, and we are looking forward to our next getaway at the Lumiere Place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Joebry, Director of Hotel Operations at HoteLumiere, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
Matt, I am glad you called and gave me the opportunity to speak with you regarding our hotel. As we discussed I knew that once you arrived at our property that you and your wife would be pleased with your choice of our hotel. We have found some of the reviews posted on Trip Advisor regarding our hotel are not fact based.

I am delighted you choose to stay with us and that you found our property to be a wonderful choice for your wife's birthday getaway. We look forward to having your family return.

Thanks for the kind words.

Once again Happy Birthday to Mrs. Mace

Regards
Success, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

I was in town for the Rams game this weekend and we decided to stop by the casino for a bit. I have never been around such unfriendly dealers in my life. They were downright rude. Also, 4 dollars for a beer in a casino is ridiculous. I'll be taking my future St. Louis area gambling across the river to Casino Queen from now on.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Been to HoteLumiere? Share your experiences!