“Think twice before staying.” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 N 2nd St, Saint Louis, MO 63102 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #86 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Durham, North Carolina
“Think twice before staying.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

I was excited to stay at this hotel, because the pictures looked so nice online. Well, pictures can be deceiving. I knew this had been an Embassy Suites hotel before, but since I'd never stayed at an Embassy Suites, I had no idea what that meant. Well, if what I got was any indication, I won't be staying at an Embassy Suites any time soon.

First the good:
The lobby of this hotel is very impressive. It's huge, and has couches, comfortable-looking plush chairs with tables, huge TVs (I counted 2), a bar, huge potted trees with pots that are white and lit up, elevators with clear backing, and a sky bridge that leads to the casino.

Our room had two queen beds and a living room with a sleeper sofa. We also had two flat panel TVs, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. There was a little kitchenette and a dining table with two chairs. On the surface everything looked fine.

Now for the bad:
There is a $10 a day fee to self-park, and a $20 a day fee for valet parking. I think that would be fine, but the parking lot is down a hill and across the street. It's hard to get into the parking lot, because the gate doesn't respond when you swipe your room key. You have to sit there wondering if you did it right, or keep swiping it until the gate goes up. The lot is really small, so if you get back too late, there isn't anywhere to park. I asked if we would be able to park in the lot directly across from the hotel, and was told that lot is for the customers of the Four Seasons and gamblers at the Lumiere Casino. I truly hope I was misinformed!

The elevators were extremely slow, and one of the two by the front desk squeaked so loud, I could hear it in my room (we were on the 7th floor)! There were two more elevators on the other side of the lobby, but that was too far to walk with an infant, when there were other elevators closer.

There is smoking in the casino, which means there is smoking in the sky bridge. Walking through the sky bridge was difficult at times, because it smelled so strongly of cigarette smoke. I think I coughed the whole way. When we got into the casino, we had to walk all the way down a long hallway to get to the entrance, even though there was an entrance right by the stairs/elevators leading from the sky bridge. The 4th floor was a magnet for loud people who were either coming from or going to the casino. I sympathized with anyone who had a room on the 4th floor.

Our room was not that great. There was rust on the floor behind the toilet in the bathroom, and the bath tub had mold in the grout. While the counter top had been replaced, it was in direct contrast to the rest of the bathroom, which looked dated and old. My sister saw a giant cockroach in the sink, which made us leery whenever we had to go into the bathroom. The air conditioner in the bedroom didn't work, so the bedroom was hot, but the air worked fine in the living room, which meant it was freezing in there. There were no blankets in the room for the sofa bed, so my sister had to call the front desk our first night and request one. The blanket arrived promptly, but it was very thin, so she had to request 2 more the following day. There were cobwebs in the fire sprinklers and the vents.

Housekeeping was very stingy with the towels. We checked in after 4:00p on a Thursday, so we wanted to shower and attend my grandmother's birthday celebration. Friday we requested more towels, and housekeeping serviced the rooms, but left the used towels. Saturday when we tried to request more towels and give the housekeeper the used towels, she referred us to the front desk. That's a lot of hassle for some towels!

There is a sink and fridge in the room, but no microwave. The fridge is really a mini bar, and we requested the alcohol taken out. We were told the fridge could be locked, but the alcohol could not be removed. We couldn't lock the fridge, because we were traveling with an infant, and needed a way to keep her formula cold. We were told we could use only the top shelf, and the alcohol could not be removed (if you moved the alcohol, even if you didn't drink it, a sensor sent a message to the front desk and you were charged for that bottle or can). The top shelf is not that big, so all we could store was bottles, which meant we couldn't bring anything else into the room that needed refrigeration. With no microwave, we had to resort to warming the bottles in hot water, which wasn't as effective.

The view from our room was of the Mississippi, a closed casino boat and the MLK, Jr bridge. Not very good, so we were disappointed in that. We were hoping to get a room with at least a partial view of the Arch.

We requested pool passes when we checked in (could only request 4), and didn't receive them. When we went to the front desk later to pick them up, we were told that was something we were supposed to get at check-in, and because there was no proof we didn't receive them, we couldn't get any. I guess the fact we didn't have any wasn't proof enough!

Overall the stay was okay. I would definitely stay elsewhere next time. It was convenient having the casino so close for gamblers, but we do really gamble, so we only went once.

The biggest deterrents for us were paying to park, paying for Internet access and the overall state of the room. For as much as the room cost, I figured the parking and Internet would be included and the room would be updated. It's not like there are very many free parking options, nor are there any Internet options (we were told we had to pay whether we plugged in or used wireless access). I'm sure this is the norm for all downtown hotels, but it still feels like a rip off.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

I was first very upset that they had lost my reservation...went out side a got the print out and after about 10mins...I just appeared. (hmmm....) The elevators were very slow, so I decided to take the stairs since we were on the second floor....won't do that again!!!

The room wasn't that bad. Beds were comfy. The bathroom was pretty tiny, but we managed with having that sink out front. I was pretty disgusted the next morning when I found a used coffee cup with the coffee stuff. Told the staff about it and they were not surprised.

I really did enjoy all the restaurants and the casino. It was also nice to have Laclede's Landing so close.

Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

I didnt actually stay in this hotel because the casino staff was so rude. i was in st louis on sat scouting vacation spots for the family. I was leaving the casino to go try to book a room and the security supervisor himself was very rude to me, berating me loudly all the way to the elevator even though i was walking away from him after he confronted me very rudely for accidentally walking in the wrong area. When I went to guest services to complain about his attitude the person they sent to deal with me was the rude supervisor himself. I will never set foot in that place again. The staff was extremely rude and just generally unhelpful, not knowing when certain restaurants would open.

Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

After we checked in, which took forever, we went to put our stuff in the room and used the restroom. The toilet flooded. My friends and I were using the ice bucket to try and catch water and dump it into the bathtub while we waited 15 minutes for a maintence man. (we called down 4 times!) and after the man plunged the toilet (keep in mind, nothing but urine was in the toilet) he proceeded to throw the plunger at our feet, in turn splashing the dirty water back up at us. I was reassured that we would not have to pay for the room becuase of all of our trouble, but the next day i recieved a bill. When I called down to see what had happened to the free room I had been promised, the morning manager said that she had not been aware and later called to tell me that the night manager had changed his mind and that we would be charged full price. She said we would only have recieved the refund if we would have left, not swtiched rooms- how does that make any sense?????????? I will be doing everthing in my power to make sure people do not visit this awful awful hotel until the management is reevaluated. My suggestion: gamble and stay at Ameristar.

Joebry, General Manager at HoteLumiere, responded to this review, May 17, 2010
My sincere apology that you experience was less than perfect. I have discussed your concerns with the managers. We strive work to provide the best service to every guest who visits our property.

I would like the opportunity to speak with regarding your stay.

Once again My apology and thank you for the feedback.

Warm Regards
Springfield, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Lumiere. We had stayed there before and we had a few concerns but not enough to not return. But this time we really had concerns, The staff at the front desk were extremly rude. The room was really dirty especially the bathroom behind the door. I guess housekeeping feels if they don't see the dirt why clean it.....well close the door once in awhile and clean up the mess. We ordered room service for breakfast and it took over an hour for it to get to the room. Then housekeeping kept coming in till I locked the door and then they were constently knocking on the door and it wasn't even check out time. To bad because we love the location downtown. But we won't return this time. We'll stay at the Hilton Downtown from now on.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Billp70964
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

We travel a lot. What I want in a hotel are a number of things. Good price for value; price was excellent! Good room. The room was new, the decor was sharp, everything worked in the "room" (actually a two room suite) and super clean. 2 TV's, great bathroom and robes. The staff was efficient, courteous, professional and friendly with both check in and check out. Room service took 23 minutes and the server pointed out the tip was included. It was very quiet in the room and very dark when drapes were drawn (I hate sunlight waking me).
This hotel has gotten a bad rap on this site. I stay in hotels at least one night out of ten year after year. This is a premier property. Don't miss it!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Joebry, Hotel Director at HoteLumiere, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
I am glad to hear that your experience exceeded your expectations. Thank you for the post detailing your experience as a seasoned traveler.

I will share your comments with the team.

We look forward to your return visit

Warm Regards
SE Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

The best thing about this hotel was the Gilchrest & Soames amenities in the bathrooms! There were divisional basketball championships going on when we checked in so the first two nights were very loud! Even after the basketball players were gone, the lobby music was loud. The staff was extremely rude, beginning at check in when were supposed to be master billed and no one knew what were talking about. The rooms were dirty, and even though it was supposed to be non smoking there were cigarette burns in the furniture and bedding. The flat panel TVs were nice, but there were about 10 channels to choose from and nothing in HD so the picture was terrible. I don't know about the other rooms, but I didn't have the "view of the river or downtown skyline" that was stated on the hotel website. My room looked at the trash compactor and a brick wall, I guess technically I could see part of town since the convention center was on the other side of the wall (across the road). Even though I could see the convention center from my room, it was at least a 20 minute walk along the edge of the smoke filled casino, through the tunnel, and down the block to get there (and we walked fast). I hope to never have to stay here again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Joebry, Hotel Director at HoteLumiere, responded to this review, April 2, 2010
My sincere apology that your stay was less than you expected. We have 4 sides to the hotel and not every room has a view of the river or downtown skyline. We also have an underground walkway with escalators to move you to the exit which is directly across from the side entry to the Dome so you never have to walk outside in poor weather. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding your visit.

Again my apology.

Regards

Joe Bryson

Been to HoteLumiere? Share your experiences!