“Not the best hotel in Downtown STL & definitely not the best value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of HoteLumiere

You added HoteLumiere to your Saves list
HoteLumiere
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 N 2nd St, Saint Louis, MO 63102 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #86 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Not the best hotel in Downtown STL & definitely not the best value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

Stayed at the Hotelumier July 3 & 4 in room 512 with a view of the fireworks. My understanding is that the hotel is relatively new but if that's the case it's well worn. The bed was relatively comfortable but seemed to sag in the middle. Room was well appointed. Room service was prompt, of adequate quality, and reasonably priced. Service was lacking at both check-in and check-out. Location is excellent as it adjoins Laclede's Landing. We're not gamblers so no review of the casino.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Sullivan, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

We choose this hotel because it was downtown and close to everything. My husband also liked the idea of going down to the casino once my boys and I were asleep. We booked a nonsmoking queen suite. When we checked in we were told they did not have any available so we were given a king suite. We were told that there was a sofa sleeper that pulled out to a queen size bed. Well that was quite a stretch. I think at best it was a full. If my boys had been 2 adults they would not have fit on that little bed. The woman who checked us in was very rude and told us that they cannot guarantee you will get a queen room when you book a room. Our room wasn't bad and the bed was comfortable but I will not stay here again because I can't be guaranteed that I will get the room I have booked.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

I has so many bad experiences at this hotel I am not sure where to begin. I had a reservation confirmed with a credit card for 4 nights at this hotel. Even though I was the only guest in the lobby when I checked I was not greeted and all 3 front desk attendents were busy looking down on their computers and so I finally chose to stand in front of one of them and lean in to be seen. After she pulled up my reservation, she asked me for a credit card for incidentals - I gave her a credit card and she proceeded to charge me for my entire stay plus extra for incidentals. When I realized this I had to correct her and say I wanted to use the credit card I had reserved the room with to pay (company card) and I prefer to use my personal credit card for incidentals. It took them a few minutes to understand this and then more time to reverse charges and fix.
When I got to the room it was very nice and very clean. After 10 minutes of being in the room I had a knock on the door from a maintence person. He said the door was broken on my mini-bar and he needed to fix it. At this point I had not even touched the refrigerator and I wondered why we were put in that room if there was work needing to be done in it? We checked in at 5:00 so its not like we were trying to get early check in.
He proceeded to take everything out of the mini-bar, I asked him will I be charged for this because they told me at check in that it had sensors so as soon as I lifted an item out I would be charged. He gave me dirty look and said no and kept working. 4 days later at check-out they had charged me almost $200.00 for everything in the mini-bar!! They didn't even apologize for it either, just more rude treatment like it was my fault!

I also found out several days into my stay that I was supposed to get a coupon book at check in that had great coupons for restaurants in the hotel. There were 2 places I had already eaten at! It was very frustrating...but the highlight of my visit was the visit to the casino that is attached to the hotel. They have heavy security and you cannot enter without showing ID to a security guard that uses a machine that scans the bar code on your license to make sure you are 21. After going through this I was asked for ID when I ordered a drink in the casino, which was fine. 20 minutes later I was sitting in a chair talking with my sister and was approached again for my ID, I wasn't even gambling! I felt he was trying to get my name and address and did not feel safe as a single young woman being approached this way. I told him I had already shown it multiple times and could he check with his security guard that had let me in. He told me I had to leave and escorted me out in front of everyone. I have never been so angry, I am in my early 30's and I do not look under 21. I was not going to give him my address though. I am a very experienced traveler and I know poor service when I see it. This hotel has great housekeeping and bell staff but thats where it ends. Everyone else is extremely rude. I will never stay here again even if they paid me to. The rooms are nice but it does not make up for how badly you are treated at every request you make. Examples: When I asked where a restaurant was they told me they didn't know and no offer was made to look it up, they charge you $19.95 a day for internet service so I didn't want to pay that to search for it myself. My room key stopped working about 3 times and they would scan it to fix it and just slap it back on the desk like I was a hassle to them. All of this treatment just ruins the experience of staying in this nice hotel, I would highly recommend the Hampton Inn which is right across the street, great location and much higher class of service.

Kitchener, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

Took an Airport shuttle for $17 one way. Had a really easy check in and the center of the hotel is stunning with lots of seating and a beauty waterfall. Suite was nice and spacious with 2 flat screens. Bed was super comfy and bath was a bit on the small side although adequate. Annoying things: Hard to find electrical outlets! Had to reach behind the desks to unplug other things so I could plug my laptop and blackberry in, had to pay for the WI-FI ($10/day) and the room service while adequate was very pricy. They also do not serve room service from 11-5 in the day making it a pain if you are working in your room. Really liked how everything was connected to the casino and restaurants. Made it an easy walk to the convention center.

I am not a gambler so did not venture into the casino but it looked busy. Did eat at one of the nice rest. which I can not remember the name of and it was ok. The sweet potato was delish. We also went to the rooftop bar at the 4 seasons and it had an AMAZING view.
Warning - you can smell smoke from the casino and rooms all over the place.

Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

Everything here is overpriced for what you get. It was not as clean as the photos. There was apparent water damage to the ceiling and it looked like mold growth was showing through a poor paint job. The bathrooms are very tiny with only room for one at a time and don't try to turn around with the door open. The lighting in the bathrooms are terrible. They charge for everything, including Wifi - $8 for 4 hours. I ended up camping out at a local restaurant that offered a complimentary internet connection. There is a $1 charge for every local phone call. The mini bar was stocked, but all the bottles had sensors and if one was even Moved off the sensor and replaced, you were charged. They charged an extra $10 a day for using their parking lot! $20 for valet parking. We felt like we were suspect and a burden to this place. Very unwelcoming. There was no complimentary anything. No continental breakfast, coffee in the lobby, vending machines or happy hour. One would think for all they charge to stay here, they could offer a few welcoming perks. There are hotels within walking distance of this place that offer much more for your money.

St. Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

Wish I would have read the bad reviews on this site before I booked our room. We had similar experiences. We were told we could check in early and found out upon arrival that we could not. Parking is terrible. Except for a few guys the staff is beyond terrible! Beyond terrible! It is a great location and the hotel and rooms look nice, but not worth stay to deal with the nickel and diming on everything and the staff who acts as if you are doing them a favor by staying at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Springfield, MO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

We had stayed at the Lumiere right after it had opened. The rooms were nice, spacious and comfortable close to several restaurants. We were impressed, so when my husband and I were coming to St. Louis to a Cardinal ballgame we decided to stay there again (convenience and fun). We checked in and were in a rush so we dropped our suitcase and rushed out the door to the game. We went to the casino after the game then went to the room and to bed. When I got up the next morning (TO MY HORROR) I noticed a hair scruncie (for a ponytail), with long black hair hanging from it, in the sheets at the foot of the bed!! Then went to take a shower and found a wad of black hair in the tub. When I checked out, the concierge discounted my room for half but that is all she was willing to do. It still cost me $98. I can assure you my room was not cleaned correctly, there is no way it could have been. My family is coming back to St. Louis for the Home Run Derby we had planned on staying there again, but needless to say, I can assure you we will be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to HoteLumiere? Share your experiences!