“Very loud” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
dawson springs
“Very loud”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

I really enjoyed this hotel. The noise level from the hallways and the outside was very
loud. I could hear a couple laughing and doors being slammed. Not a great experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

This hotel is wonderful on all levels. If you are wanting clean, comfortable, friendly and close to alot to do stay here. We went to see adam lambert at the pageant and it was perfect. We shopped and ate on Delmar which is alot of fun and we used the valet in and out which was well worth it. I would stay here again anytime I was going to anything in that area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
mendota heights, mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

The Moonrise makes you feel like you are on vacation, even when you are working. It is an upbeat and engaging Hotel. from the moment you walk in and are struck by the lighted staircase, to the openness of the check-in procedure you realize that this is a different kind of place--exactly what you need when you are on the road. The rooms are great--the service is good(although it may take a little longer into the day for your room to be cleaned)--and the rooftop bar is a great place to end a long work filled day. it is truly convenient for those wishing to stay near Wash U; and they usually will have a Wash U rate to boot.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past, each time with a great deal of enjoyment. We stayed here again on a recent business visit into town. Our stay this time around was a bit disappointing. Let me explain:

Item 1: After pulling up to the valet at 9:00 p.m., my wife and I waited for approximately 10 minutes for the valet to show and he never did. I walked into the hotel lobby to flag the reception desk. I was told that the valet had gone on "break" and would be summoned. Another 5 minutes later and the valet suddenly appeared to take my car. Apparantly, the parking valet here doubles as the bellman.

Item 2: We had a confirmed reservation for a king size bed for four nights. The reservation clerk said the hotel was "sold out" and all king beds were already taken. When we insisted that we had a reservation for a king, we were left with the impression that the hotel has a "first come first served" policy, at least as far as bed selections are concerned. We were given a cockamamie story about the fact that since our hotel reservation was under a "group rate" it was changeable without notice. Wha? Given the hour and lack of nearby hotel alternatives, we reluctantly accepted the double bed room. However, the following morning I spoke to the manager who confirmed that what we were told at check in simply was not correct, and that the reservation for a king should have been honored. (Now what?) He offered to upgrade us to a suite, which was a nice touch, but it obviously came a bit too late since we had no intention at that point in repacking all of our belongings to move rooms. Query: Why didn't the reception clerk the previous evening offer the upgrade to us? That was never answered.

Item 3: Housekeeping slipped a bit during our stay. No, the room was clean, but housekeeping missed cleaning our room entirely one day without explanation. After alerting the front desk that our room was not cleaned someone did clean it up, and did a reasonably good job of it, but did not leave replacement towels, replacement shower gel, hair shampoo or conditioner, etc. You get the picture. When we called down to the front desk, we were told that the hotel had "run out" of replacement shampoo, etc. and was expecting a new shipment "in a few days." Oh, great, just wait a few days, as I should be quite mangy by then!

Item 4: When all of this was brought to the attention of the Desires Manager, Liz Heffner, she was courteous, but did not offer a price reduction or other accomodation. A follow up telephone call to Desires headquarters in Miami Florida to a Mr. Corrado was left with a similar response. My voicemail message to him was not returned nor was there any indication that it was forwarded to someone else for response. Why should I be ignored?

I guess my biggest pet peeve overall at this hotel is with the valet, since anytime you come down to get your car, it's virtually impossible to find him. The food takes a close second in the pet peeve department. It's mediocre at best and overpriced. The last pet peeve is with the gym: one piece of equipment with a sign "out of order" and the treadmill dreadfully loud and poorly designed. Not good equipment.

Final tip: Check over your bill carefully when you check out. I was double billed for parking valet twice in one day. When it was brought to the attention of the desk clerk, the error was quickly corrected and the bill adjusted accordingly. I have encountered billing errors on my statement at this hotel before. They have always been corrected when brought to their attention. If you don't check first, however, you may run the risk of paying an erroneous bill.

Would I return to this hotel again? Probably. Why you say? Because overall, it's a beautiful boutique hotel (the kind we like) in a rather good location. The service at this hotel can greatly improve if it would simply hire more staff, give them more training, and be a bit more sensitive and responsive to complaints by its regular clientele.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I was attending a Trade Show in the Clayton area and wanted something different. I was hopeful, but not prepared for this amazing hotel. The hotel is young, funky and every detail has been considered. Amenities are those I get at 6 star hotels. Yes, it is true that if you venture too far from the hotel, the area could make some uncomfortable. Not enough to keep me away and the next time I am in STL and have business in this area, I will come back to this "out of this world" hotel.

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

A beautiful hotel that pays attention to every detail. The feel is contemporary and modern and you can tell that those that designed the hotel did so with much thought and consideration. All the little extras that I value in a hotel, because they make me feel pampered, were there...good soap, quality coffee in the room, 24 hr room service, the BEST linens and bed, USA Today paper in the morning, etc.

We walked the Loop, but it was around 8:30pm and many of the stores were closed. Seems like a good bar scene though with lots of smaller restaurants to stop in. We ate at the Thai place directly across the street due to extreme hunger and the want for something asian inspired. I would only rate the Thai place as Average, but it still hit the spot. Had a drink at the Moonrise rooftop bar - great feel to it, great view and good crowd. Ate breakfast at Eclipse, again above and beyond expectations!

My only regret is that we did not stay here our entire trip, we moved onto a B&B that was extremely disappointing compared to the Moonrise (but was highly recommended by Trip Advisor??).
Stay Here - Couples will have a romantic, pampering experience that will leave them wanting more! THANK YOU MOONRISE!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

A totally fun and unique hotel, not part of any chain or affiliate, space themed to the tiniest detail, and a staff so beautifully trained to please. Truly one of the great hotel experiences of my life. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Moonrise Hotel? Share your experiences!