“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Plano, Texas
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My sister-in-law and I met in St. Louis for a girls weekend and we stayed at the Moonrise. We loved everything, from the complimentary tequila sunrise at check-in to the desk clerk who made sure we knew which stations we needed when we checked out to go to at the airport. The location was great - we rented bikes across the street and then rode them to Forest Park. And after a day on the bike, enjoying the park, we relaxed on the rooftop bar, enjoying the sights. the room was great - comfortable beds and just the right size and price. I would recommend and / or stay in this hotel again with no hesitation! We had a problem with breakfast in the hotel, but the restaurant is under different management, so I don't penalize the hotel in my review.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
moonrisemanager, Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Wow! It sounds like you had a full weekend here in St. Louis. We’ve had some great biking weather this year and Big Shark Bicycle Company has a great selection of rental bikes. Glad to hear you were able to take in the sites of Forest Park while you toured the town. Thank you for the recommendation!!
We hope to have you and your family back soon!
Jessie Galleano
Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Ankeny, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel was a lot of fun. My wife and I stayed there on a romantic weekend in Saint Louis. The staff was great and greeted us with a complimentary tequila sunrise on check-in. We were able to take advantage of a discounted upgrade on check-in to the Buddy Ebsen suite for one of our two nights, and that was well worth the splurge. The suite was spacious, clean, and comfortable. Our second night was in a standard king and while the room was still nice clean, and comfortable, it is the reason the hotel doesn't get 5 stars for us. The noise from the people using the elevator right next to this room was incredible. Not from the operation of the elevator, which was silent, but from the other guests. Although their noise level is not at all the hotel's responsibility, perhaps the hotel might consider some thicker doors that block the sound a little better on those rooms near the elevators. All in all this was a really great hotel and I would definitely go back, just ask for a room away from the elevators.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for choosing us for your romantic weekend! I’m sorry to hear that you were disturbed on the second night of your stay though. We have doors to the elevator landings which we close overnight to keep the guest hallways as quiet as possible, but it sounds like the noise might have begun earlier the night of your stay which led to your disturbance. Again, we're really sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused. We can definitely accommodate your next stay with a room away from the elevators, please just mention the request when making your reservation. Thank you for the kind words about the staff and our suites.
Hope to see you soon!
Jessie Galleano
Guest Service Manager
Effingham, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My group of girlfriends love to stay at this property! WE LOVE it!!! It is the best place to stay in St. Lou!!! The interior is a work of art and kitschy. The restaurant serves a great breakfast in the Eclipse restaurant in the lobby. But, the BEST part of the place is the beds! They are THE MOST comfortable we have ever found!

The only negative for us is the price. Because we all work, we can only come down for weekends and unless you hit the price jackpot, it is spendy. We can't afford to stay here more than once a year. We love the area, the restaurants and the Pin Up Bowl.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
moonrisemanager, Manager at Moonrise Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
The beds are very comfortable and hard to get out of in the morning. If you contact the hotel and ask about promotions or packages there are discounted rates available many times throughout the year. If I can be of any assistance please let me know!

Cheers,

Brooklyn, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Great hotel located in the Delmar loop in St Louis. Loved the decorations, especially the portraits of people with the moon as the backdrop all over our room and throughout the hotel. Really fun rooftop bar with a great view of the city. Close to the light rail, with a small town but happening feel to the area. Comfortable and clean room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for posting a review about your experience at Moonrise. The light rail train is very convenient with a stop just a block away from the hotel, one at the airport and stops at many St. Louis area attractions.

Cheers,

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here for the weekend attending a wedding in the area. I really loved the guest room, the amenities and the staff. They had an elevator down which was a challenge when my room key didn't work, I called from the house phone on the 6th floor and (Lee, I hope I got his name right) ran up the stairs to get me a new key! Appreciated as I needed to grab something I had forgotten in the room. Rooms were clean, rooftop bar was nice and food was good. Only complaint would be better service in restaurant on Sunday morning. Seemed confused if you were not having buffet and service was slow in a not so busy restaurant, I would have liked to seen some sort of hip uniform in restaurant - hard to tell who the employees were.

My boyfriend stayed here before and as someone who works in hotels, I am very particular and he knew I would like it and he was right! Highly recommend! The staff was very warm and welcoming and seem to really enjoy working there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Unfortunately the part we needed for the elevators had to come from Sweden so we had to wait until the following week to correct the issue. Lee is a great asset to our hotel and is always willing to go the extra mile for our guests. I’m not sure about the confusion in the restaurant, it might have been related to the brunch that is offered on the rooftop but was moved to the restaurant because of the elevator being down. The staff members do enjoy their jobs which allows them to provide a genuine welcoming attitude when interacting with our guests.

Your recommendations are appreciated!

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Our stay here was great with comfortable beds and nice amenities. Had some trouble with room service being late and then our dishes not being taken away for most of the day and smelling up the room. The restaurant (Eclipse) had good food and service. The location of the hotel is excellent, next to the theatre, Washington University, on the loop, and close to Forest Park. Lots of restaurants in the area. The staff was friendly. We really appreciated the unique setting and decor, and of course the on-site parking.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
I apologize about the issues with delayed room service and the tray not being removed. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time here, if you return in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Just checked out of the Moonrise this morning. Although rooms are nice and clean, the hotel is set-up to cater more to their rooftop bar than their overnight guests. Rooftop is on the 8th floor - I was staying on the 6th floor. With the noise machine (provided by hotel - clue 1), earphones with music on and head under pillow I could still hear the incredibly loud music from the roof and the conversations of the patrons as if I had my window open. The bar is open to 3AM so both Friday and Saturday night I was kept up until well after 2AM.

To top it off - one of their elevators was out of service and they don't allow guests to use stairs except for fire emergencies. 10+ minutes wait every time I came or left the building.

Bottom line - beware if you are looking to stay on Friday or Saturday nights.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Moonrise Hotel? Share your experiences!