“Euro feel, great part of town.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Ventana

Cafe Ventana
3919 West Pine Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63108 (Central West End)
Improve this listing
Ranked #702 of 2,546 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, French, Café, Bistro
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Central West End
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Euro feel, great part of town.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I really love this little coffee shop; it is located in my favorite part of Saint Louis, the central west end. This reminds me of the coffee shops of europe with a great atmosphere and patio. In the summer time it is wonderful to sit outside and sip espresso. The food and beverage selection is what I would describe as upscale. A great many wonderful treats, all sorts of coffee and tea and lots of baked goods and deserts. The atmospheres is wonderful too, with a fireplace which is wonderful int the winter to the patio which again is great in the summer. When ever I'm in Saint Louis I always make this one of my stops. It is a great place to sit and enjoy the company of good friends!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Somehow I expected more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I had read good reviews of this place, and since I had some business in the area, decided to drop in. First thing I noticed is they either don't have air conditioning, or it wasn't working the day we were there. Since it was about 95* outside, I had been anticipating a cool lunch, which didn't happen.

Although there was no one in line, the dreadlocked cashier spent 10 minutes with another employee trying to figure something out on the register. I eventually ordered & found a seat. The food arrived, and for some reason there was as much mustard on the outside of my sandwich as on the inside.

When I had entered, I noticed the glass panel on the floor, which allows you to look down into a kitchen area. The idea is cool, but wouldn't you at least keep that visible kitchen a little clean?

All in all, I doubt I will make a return trip, unless I am stuck in the area waiting again.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

About once a month to every 6 weeks or so a group of us, 12 to 16, arrive on a weekend morning. We grab a few tables in the back room, order some food and have a very relaxed fun 3 hours of enjoying each other's company. Sometimes you might be 3rd to 5th in line to order but if everyone knows what they want it moves fast. They fix your drink and you take it with you then they bring out yor food. We've lays had good service. For the most part the food has been pretty good, since we are there early we order off the breakfast menu. This past Sunday my portabello, egg and cheese wrap was very tasty. I have been there or lunch and their salads are huge and always delicious. On Sunday's, a piano or sax player shows up in the main room, not for sure what time they start. They also have a patio in the back, heated on cooler days. They also have 2 private meeting rooms. The main problem is lots of students come loaded with laptops and books sprawling across the bigger tables, some will move to smaller if you ask. if you want to take your time, enjoy decent food come here.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Pricey, Underwhelming, and "Just Okay"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

I've had many visits to this cafe over the last few years. While I was initially impressed with the food and ambiance (a few years ago), the love for this place has increasingly gotten colder. The food is just okay. Pass over the bakery items since they are not made in-house and the delivery of new, fresh ones comes later in the morning. I and my friends have often had stale items because they are over 24 hours old (and have possibly sat out overnight), when we've arrived at 9am. The coffee is mediocre for the price, especially the "specialty coffees" like lattes. Also, we are frequently overcharged for items, so please look at your receipt. There is one female employee in particular who consistently over-charges; she will also "forget" punch the frequent buyer card or give you an item you've ordered. When I alerted her to this, she only gave 1 punch when I had purchased more than that AND I had to remind her that we had bought some scones...after we waited more than 5 minutes for them. I had bought a co-worker a giftcard (since he frequents there). I was supposed to get an additional $5 card since I had purchased a significant amount (a deal they had going on) and the young man who helped me did not offer me one; it seems as though the staff does not know what is going on there. I always feel as though I am getting cheated out of something. There is also a young gentleman employee who is less than friendly. This tends to be a St Louis Univ study-hang out and while Ventana opened up the annex next door (a quiet-zone for those trying to get work done) for study-ers, some students still do their work in there and then glare at you while you try to have a conversation with friends--as though you are bothering them, when that's what the annex is for. On a good note, the beignets are really great. They come out hot and fresh. The chocolate ones are a MUST if you are a chocolate lover. The ambiance can be nice, especially in the winter when they fireplace is going. My friends and I have decided to conduct our meetings elsewhere (we meet weekly) since there are multiple far-better coffee places in the area. I don't want to give up on them yet, and will give them a try again after a long break.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Indiana
“Great food in a fun coffee-shop-esque atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

The salmon club was spectacular and the cheese & fruit plate was very good (and HUGE). Prices are pretty good for the amount of food that you get, and they've got some fun menu items that you just aren't going to find at too many other places. A good lunch place with upscale food that won't empty your wallet.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere