“Nice, centrally located hotel but security procedures questionable” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch

All Inn Package
Ranked #27 of 124 hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Nice, centrally located hotel but security procedures questionable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Hyatt is located across the street from the Arch and just a few blocks away from the Metro. The hotel was clean and our room was spacious, included 2 double beds for me, spouse and teen. The room also had a table, 2 chairs, flat screen TV, fridge, desk and spacious bathroom. The hotel layout was a little confusing, getting to room 1642. A safe was located in the closet. 2 sinks, one in bathroom, one outside worked well for us. The amenities were nice, but nothing very special. A coffee service was also in the room.
Storage was an issue with 3 little baskets in the cabinet which held the fridge and had the TV on top. An. Odd little ottoman sat near the door.
We had trouble checking in as the hotel had the wrong first name on the reservation. I had a copy of the reservation so the front desk finally decided they could give me the room, but didn't ask for any identification (later telling me if they had, they would not have been able to give me a room as the first name was wrong). Given I had a document with my name, address and booking number which matched my identification, I was annoyed. The front desk did nothing to verify my identity. The other item which had me question security was witnessing a teenager go to front desk and say he lost his room key. He was given one without producing any identification. They checked to see his name was in the room, but given the convention in town, my teen could have done the same thing by finding out who was in what room.
Another downside was the safe still locked when we got in the room. We were told the next morning to call security to open it. Didn't have time so it was still locked when we left.
The place was fine for what it was, but I likely won't stay there again when I come to town, wanting to try a property which takes security more seriously.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you for the feedback Travelizgood. I have spoken with our Front Office Manager and Director of Security about your comments. We will address proper procedures with our staff. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.

1,446 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Almost, but not quite, average room for price. Fabulous view of Arch with $50 upgrade. But $9.95 for WIFI in room? Really? Come on Hyatt you can do better than that! Not staying here again until they include WIFI (just like Super 8, Holiday Inn and just about every other hotel from 1-5 stars in the world)

Room Tip: Arch view at 11th floor or higher. Great view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the feedback jimloveshawaii. In order to provide acceptable bandwidth to our guests we do charge for internet access in our guest rooms. Complimentary access is available wireless in our lobby. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for a couple of days and everything went great. The room I stayed in, doubld bed, was huge. The largest I've seen in a long time. Bathroom was a decent size, all clean. Staff were very helpful and polite. Breakfast lacked some choices, like salads and such and a better bakery selection. The hotel has a pretty nice gym. Location wise I was pleased. But if you want nightlife, it's not there. The baseball stadium, the arch, the old courthouse and a couple of places to eat, that's pretty much all you'll find there. The park where the arch is, is great for jogging or just getting some fresh air.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for the 4-Star review LiviaDrusilla11. Its great to hear that you had an enjoyable experience in our hotel! Near the hotel there are a variety of areas you can visit to have fun after hours. Please contact a concierge or me directly for options.

Urbana, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

I really likes the location of this hotel. Close to the river, view of the arch from our window, close proximity to Busch Stadium.
Rooms were average, on the small side but clean and comfortable bed. Bathroom was decent size. Nice oversize shower.
Hotel restaurant was decent. Not overpriced and food was good.
A little issue with valet service but they got to the bottom of problem and were very apologetic.
Front desk staff were very friendly.
We will stay at this location again.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for the 4-Star review cplot! I appreciated your comments about our staff. Please let me know if you plan on returning to the hotel.

Palestine, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The location is great, directly across the street from the arch, completely unobstructed (if you have a room facing that direction). The convention center is a 10 minute walk. The hotel is good for a business trip, but would be a little stale for a family. Breakfast was excellent but quite pricey for the buffet.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the 4-Star review Jonricha. If you do come with your family, please let me know and I can offer a variety of fun options and activities. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to personally assist you.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here for one night for business trip and it is not up to Hyatt or Hyatt Regency standards. Room 1460 had wallpaper peeling off the wall, no bedside table on one side of the bed and scuffed/shopworn furnishings. Housekeeping was lax and not up to standards: the previous guest's trash was in the bathroom wastebasket, no washclothes, no coffee packets. Worse, someone left an envelope for me at the desk and I was never notified, and when I let the desk know about room cleaning issues, the clerk shrugged and said she would let the supervisor know.

The club floor lounge shutters at 9pm so the only option for food was the gift shop. Breakfast options in the morning were good with smoked salmon, egg/ham muffins, fresh fruit, cereal, etc.

The breakfast however did not make up for the substandard room at high end rate.

There are better options, look elsewhere

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the feedback highlandbride. We have addressed the concerns you detailed in room 1460, we have also spoken to our housekeeping department about your comments. I apologize for the concerns you experienced, if you do return or need assistance, please let me know.

Prairie Village, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Just in town for a night to catch a concert, but we were pretty happy with our room. If you aren't a Gold Passport member, sign up before you book. This was our first stay as a member and they really give you the royal treatment. Even though we were only in town for about 24 hours, booked a room on the concierge floor (18). I was a little nervous when we found out that there was a fraternity formal in the hotel the same night, but our floor was quiet all night (whew!). While we didn't ask for it, our room had a partial view of the arch. Pretty cool but honestly not sure it would be worth the upgrade under different circumstances. Bed was comfy and the room and bathroom were spotless. Not sure if all rooms have a fridge, but ours did (heads up to housekeeping, my wife left some leftover lasagna in the fridge!). We were told the wifi was complimentary as part of a promotion, but they still charged us for it. Still waiting on Hyatt to respond to my email questioning the charge. We did the Bed and Breakfast program. Not sure what they charge for brunch, but it was just OK at best. From the Hyatt, the train station was about a 5 minute ride and the Pageant was about 20 minutes away. Very easy to get a cab!!!

Room Tip: Sign up for the Gold Passport club before booking and then be treated like a king!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the 4-Star review PVPathfinder! We do our best to acknowledge and recognize our Gold Passport member hotel guests. Please email me directly for assistance with the internet charge that had been posted to your room. It would be my pleasure to personally assist you.

Kim.Halbrehder@Hyatt.com

Been to Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch? Share your experiences!