“Better than my apartment!” 4 of 5 stars

All Inn Package
Ranked #29 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Better than my apartment!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed here for a conference- four nights & five days. The conference was so engaging I rarely walked out of the hotel- that is why I'm particularly thankful that this was an excellent choice. The room was newly renovated and immaculate; the bathroom spacious and spotless (I had a dressing area attached to the bathroom); the hotel staff is just about the friendliest I've met... and even the room service was fast and yummy.

I spent a little more to be upgraded to a king, non-smoking room that overlooked the Arch. Do it if you can- the view is delightful and it was a VERY large room (with hallway, dressing area, nice bathroom and a VERY large main room). It wasn't a suite, but it might as well have been! I'm pretty sure it's larger than my NY apartment~ Loved it. I truly felt relaxed and "at home" when back in my room between meetings.

Advice- (in addition to upgrading if you can), if you have trouble walking- ask for a room closer to the elevator banks. My room was a corner room at the end of the hall. It provided an awesome view, but if you have any issues with walking- it IS a large hotel. Ask to be closer to the elevators.

Room Tip: Tips for room choice- upgrade to Arch View if you can; ask to be close to the elevator if you have t...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Thanks Freckles92 for your great review! We strive to make all of our guests feel comfortable and at-home, so we’ll definitely take your review as a compliment. I certainly agree with you also, I’d recommend upgrading to our corner Arch View deluxe rooms – they have breathtaking views of the Mississippi River and the Gateway Arch. They are also nearly 800 square feet, so they feel much more like an apartment than a hotel room.

We really appreciate your comments, please let me know if you need anything at all on any future stays.

Thanks again,

Christopher.Palid@Hyatt.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Marina, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

If you look at the front of this place on Google Street View, you'll see "Adam's Mark" at the top of the driveway. When I was a kid, Adam's Mark was the symbol for top-notch hotels, at least for me. I got the chance to stay in the last remaining Adam's Mark in Buffalo last year - the first time I had ever stayed in one - and it was like being around a very old woman who had been very beautiful in her early life. It was attempting to live up to what it was once was through grandiose superficiality but, ultimately, failed to do so.
I relate this story because I'm starting to see that the Hyatt brand is on the same path. This is only the second Hyatt I've stayed in in the past ten years, with the other just a couple of months prior to this one. In both cases, it just did not live up to my expectations for a Hyatt property, as Hyatt, to me, means luxury and a true definition of 4-star accommodation.
Both properties were obtained through Hotwire for roughly the same amount. This St. Louis property had a nicer lobby and a nicer room overall, but there were still the issues that you see in these lower-end, older 4* properties, like the odd and small room layout, shabby hallways, a dysfunctional and slow elevator, and what seemed to be staff issues.
When I checked in, I found that we were booked into a two double room. I requested a king and was told that one was available, despite the hotel being full that night. We went out that night and did not try the bed until about 1am, when we discovered crumbs and hair in the bed. We called the front desk and were told that the housekeeping manager would be there in 10 minutes. 30 minutes later, a man shows up with what looks like a sheet set but is, instead, a mattress cover for a double bed. He leaves and says he'll be back. Another 15 minutes go by, and we call downstairs again, offering to come down and get the sheets ourselves. The original man and another man in a suit, stating he's a manager, shows up. The latter was visibly agitated and only offered excuses about how busy they were that night. The bed was finally re-made past 2. My wife was more upset by this than I was, but I was mainly upset at the fact that this was handled as poorly as it was.
The fact is that there are a number of 4-star hotels in Downtown St. Louis that all run at roughly the same rate and offer the same amenities. I'm a Hilton guy normally, for various reasons, and strongly considered one of their properties for this two-night stay, but was pulled away by the fact that the rate here was something like 40% less through Hotwire. I regret the choice. The unfortunate situation that we experienced could have happened anywhere, but there's no getting around the fact that other places would have likely handled it better. If I had paid full price for this room, then I would have been extremely disappointed.
It's especially disconcerting to me because they seem to put a lot of emphasis on the staff-guest interaction here. We ended up relating the experience to a woman who I assume was a manager as we left, and just got sort of a nodding head of empathy and an offer of an upgrade for next time. I think my wife wanted something comped. I just wanted a "We'll try harder next time." I didn't get that verbally and didn't get the feeling that what I had to say was going to be anything more than that brief conversation.
My other Hyatt stay wasn't much better than this one, but the room was clean there, at least. In the future, I don't think I will specifically avoid the Hyatt brand, but it's certainly been put in a vastly different place in my mind than where it was before. Even with that upgrade offer, I don't think I'll be here my next time in St. Louis. There's a Hilton virtually across the street.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor. The lower floor elevators seem to be wonky.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Wow, I’m extremely disappointed to hear how we dropped the ball during your visit. It’s embarrassing, and certainly not an indication of how we take care of our guests.

I would like to invite you back to our hotel as my personal guest on your next visit to St. Louis. I can assure you that we’ve worked hard to earn our reputation of great service, clean and comfortable accommodations, and friendly and engaging employees. You will see that your last visit was the exception and not the rule.

If you could please contact me at your earliest convenience so I can work out the details with you I would appreciate it.

Thank you again for your understanding.

(314)342-4647
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Stayed here on a Friday night for a concert. Got a great rate, convenient location close to the venue. Very accommodating staff, friendly, quick check-in, had a nice large room with a good view of the arch. Water in the lobby was delicious! Parking a few blocks away, while a bit confusing with a maze of aisles and entry/exit points, was very cheap given the weekend rate. Surprisingly dull scene on a Friday night in the surrounding area, but not a knock on the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the arch
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. Hopefully you’ll be back to visit us as the city gears up for an exciting spring and summer. Please contact me if there’s ever anything I can do to assist you. Thank you again for taking the time to give us feedback.

AUS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

From the moment you walk into the Hyatt Regency at The Arch, the entire staff go out of their way to make you feel special, and at home. Great location, excellent choices for food and beverage, super clean rooms...there is nothing negative I can say about my stays here. One of my favorite aspects is the 9 PM - 9 AM "Quiet Period" that they enforce for the hallways. Makes for the most consistently quiet sleep of any hotel I have ever stayed at. A real joy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Dear Ed R,

Thank you for staying with us! We are happy that the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch is your choice Hotel in St. Louis. Thank you for sharing your stay experience with us and the Tripadvisor community. I will be sure to pass on to Security that they should keep up the good work for controlling the Noise plan that we have set in place. We hope to see you again!

Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

The helpful stuff made my stay special. I arrived at the hotel early morning and was able to check in without problem. The room was spacious with a comfortable bed and a good size tv. Room service was speedy and prices were standard for 4 stars hotels.

Dear Daylove,

We were pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay. We hope you continue to stay at the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch when you travel to St. Louis. We look forward to your next visit.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I agree with the review of pm_marie that the hospitality of the staff made this a terrific hotel stay during a recent conference for the Children's Hospital Association. These are the most sincerely engaging hotel staff I have encountered, friendly, personable and genuine in their desire to ensure you are having a great stay. If I paused in the lobby even for a moment, a staff member would instantly be at my elbow to ask of there was some way they could be of assistance. Concierge advised me of the best place to purchase a piece of AV equipment I needed, and gave me great directions when I asked if I could take the Metro Train. I recommend taking the train from the airport, it is $3.25 versus a $37 cab ride, and it lets you off a block away. The international wait staff in the restaurants enjoyed initiating conversation. I felt like a "regular" in the Brewmaster, the excellent onsite sports bar. Staff made a point of calling me by name whenever possible, even if they had to read my conference name badge. I could not get enough of the Gateway Arch and enjoyed taking photos from many vantage points. The hotel is a short walk to Busch Stadium, home of the Cardinals and a few stops on the train to the arena where the St. Louis Blues play hockey. St, Louis is a big time city that hosts major league events yet treats guests with a small town hospitality.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side facing the Gateway Arch, the views are spectacular.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you ontheroadlesstraveled, for your detailed review of our property. It’s great to hear such positive comments about our hospitality and service, because these are the characteristics that we build on. Without our hardworking engaging team members we’re not a Hyatt. We appreciate your comments and will certainly share them with our associates. Please let me know if there’s anything else we can do for you.

Thanks again,

Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

My husband and I stay here ALL the time when we travel to St. Louis. How do we afford it? Priceline. If you aren't naming your own price on Priceline, you should. Typically wait until the day before, or the day of and BAM, enter something low, like $50 and you're likely to get this hotel. The hotel is super clean, big open lobby, and sparkling rooms. This hotel has a ton of room layouts and some of them are small, but many offer a great view of either the Arch or the city. They are home to Ruth Chris Steakhouse and close to the Arch, casinos, Busch Stadium, Edward Jones Dome, and pretty much anything downtown!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear msuhoops04,

We are pleased to hear that you are very loyal to our hotel. Thank you for staying with us! Thank you for sharing your hotel experience with the Tripadvisor community. We hope to see you soon.

Front Office Management

Been to Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch? Share your experiences!