“Nice hotel, great location, parking disaster” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
All Inn Package
Ranked #29 of 124 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Nice hotel, great location, parking disaster”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Really enjoyed the hotel, decor was very nice in the hotel. Room was spacious, comfortable bed, nice bathroom amenities, great view of the arch.

Two downfalls during our stay - none of our (3) three rooms had coffee makers in the rooms and we had to pay $7 per cup of coffee!!!

Second - parking is a blessed disaster! $20 self parking, $26 for valet, but the valet suggested that we just go to Crown Plaza and park there for $5. It was SCARY in that parking garage!! NEVER again!!!! And we had small children that were scared AND disgusted by the smell in the parking garage. Yuck!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and for staying with us while you visited St. Louis. While we definitely appreciate your high marks, I cringe every time I see the word "disaster" in a guest review (even if it’s preceded by “nice” and “great”). While we don’t own or operate our economy parking option at Mansion house, the hotel management accepts the blame for its shortcomings because it is an option that we offer to our guests.
Our on-site parking rates are $20 for self and $26 for valet, and we offer the Mansion House garage as a discount – between $3 - $8 per 24-hour period. We will review their services and location to make sure we’re providing a safe and sanitary option for our guests.

Also – an insider tip for all of our Tripadvisor reviewers! Our rooms do not have coffee makers pre-set in them, but we will deliver them with coffee complimentary if you request them with one of our operators. Or, please ask the front desk about our Gold Passport program, it’s a free loyalty program with some great perks. All Gold Passport members receive vouchers for complimentary Starbucks coffee each morning of their stay. The feedback we’ve gotten is that fresh Starbucks is preferable to the in-room coffee, but if it’s a matter of convenience, we also offer the coffee maker delivery.

We really do appreciate your comments, if you have anything additional please reach out to me directly at the hotel, we look forward to your next visit.

Christopher.Palid@hyatt.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

The hotel is recently updated since changing flags fromt he Adam's Mark to the Hyatt. People are friendly and helpful. Rooms are comfortable, clean and new. Location is very nice, located directly across the street from the Arch. All rooms have refrigerators, and some have microwaves. Happy hour at Ruth's Chris in the lobby is a bargain for drinks and food. Culunaria gourmet grocery is a few blocks away. The only slight flaw is the Regency Club. The Regency Club food and drink selections are not as nice as some other Hyatt properties, but not bad, and one lady constantly complains to guest about how hard she is working while visiting with her friends in the club lounge. Park at the Mansion House Apartments complex 1 block north for $8 per night ($3 on Sat/Sun).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing our property and for commenting on the updates since we became a Hyatt. We underwent a complete room renovation and are proud of our updated rooms and great location. I am truly sorry to hear about your issues with our Regency Club. We use all guest feedback as training opportunities, and will share this review with members of our team in an effort to make our Regency Club as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. Please reach out to me directly at the hotel if there is anything I can do for you.

New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We booked a king/arch view (rate $175, pricey for us but hey, arch/river view and it's a Hyatt Regency, plus was for hubby's birthday); at check-in we were asked if we had requested an upgrade; we said no but would love one for no extra and got it, cool. Room was amazing! Had sexy/comfy/elegant decor, and was huge, immaculate, extremely luxurious; a corner room that looked and felt like an apartment, had big sectional seating with big low coffe table/bench near huge windows right beside river and arch, bed dressed gorgeously and angled dramatically, room had big flat-screen TV, separate private area with well-appointed bathroom on one side and a nice dressing room area with another vanity outside that.
Drawbacks: A major, and I do mean major, hike from elevator to room (my elderly mom or anyone with walking issues could not have made it), no free Internet (sinful!), and it cost $20 just to self-park in a garage, heard people fuss about it (and surely even more for valet parking there). A breakfast tip for you: We could have gotten breakfast for both of us for just $20 more, was a deal we didnt take. Would have been good since their breakfast buffet (which looked really nice when we peeked next morning) cost like $16.99 a person and there are no easy or good places to eat anywhere nearby so if you can get that $20 breakfast deal for two, do it.

Room Tip: If it's a special occasion, say so, might get best room or some extra treat.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, July 16, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, and for spending your hubby's birthday with us. Our hotel is built so that our corner rooms have the full panoramic Arch views; however, this makes these rooms located the furthest from the elevator. We do offer rooms near the elevator, as well as fully accessible rooms.

We hope you choose to spend your next special occasion with us, and we hope all of our guests let us know when they’re celebrating something special, so we can do our best to make their visit memorable.

Christopher.palid@hyat.com
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

My fiancé and I took a short trip to St. Louis in celebration of our 1 year anniversary and my birthday. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. We arrived at approximately 7:00 pm, as did 5 other hotel guests. The front desk staff immediately doubled, making check-in smooth. As a Hyatt Gold Passport member, Laura, our front desk representative, offered us 2 coupons for a free coffee at Starbucks. I asked a few other general questions about the area and Laura was not only informative, she was also very patient and courteous. As we got into our room, we noticed that it was clean and nicely updated, especially the bathroom. Everything was just as pictured.

Then we noticed a problem……..the carpet outside the bathroom was soaked! I actually stepped on the wet carpet in my socks; YUCK! I called the front desk and spoke with Andrew. He was just as nice as Laura; he immediately set us up with another room.

Once we were settled, we freshened up and headed downstairs to the Red Bar. Jenny, our bartender was awesome! The drinks were pretty good and somewhat reasonably priced especially for a hotel with Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse ($6.50 Beefeater’s gin and tonic, $4 Miller Lite). We also ordered a serving of Buffalo wings and the tomato and mozzarella salad; no complaints.

There is only one issue with this hotel; PARKING! After reading other traveler’s reviews, I was prepared for the cost of valet parking, $26! And because of the prime downtown location, I can see how that price can be somewhat justified. My fiancé was against it, but I am okay with paying for convenience and safety. Well, if I had it to do over again, I would have parked my own car. First of all valet is sooooo slow. Upon checkout, my fiancé went down to get the car while I checked out of the hotel and got my free Starbucks :-). I checked out at one of the convenient kiosks in the lobby; that process took about 3 minutes: PAINLESS. Then I walked a few paces to the coffee shop. I spent about 5-7 minutes there.

I walked down the stairs to the valet area (there is also an elevator) and my fiancé was patiently waiting for valet to retrieve our vehicle. So I joined him in waiting. Once there we waited and waited and waited. After an undetermined amount of time, I set a timer just to see how much longer we would wait. Fourteen (14) minutes later my car came zooming to the valet area. I believe that we waited around 25 to 30 minutes for our car. If valet had cost $12, I would probably not be perturbed, but for $26, I really need them to do better.

Once I got to my car, I was livid. When I handed my car over to valet, I disconnected my iPod and turned off the radio. At that point, my radio was set to AUX (auxiliary mode). When I got back into my car, Disc 4 (Jay Z) was blaring out of the speakers. The last disc I’d listened to was Disc 1 (Jill Scott). This means the valet driver went through Disc 2 (Michael Jackson) and Disc 3 (Stevie Wonder) before he found music suitable for car parking! The song that was playing on Disc 4 was like track 6 or 7. How long had he been listening? What in the world?!?!?

Also, in order to expedite our departure, my fiancé had brought down our big bag an hour before we actually checked out; that bag was not in the car when the car was brought around. So we had to wait again for the driver retrieve our luggage from the valet office. I begrudgingly tipped the valet and got into the car. Once we were settled in our car, we still had more waiting to do as we were sandwiched in by other cars loading and unloading. Luckily, the car behind us was as ready to leave as we were. After about 3 minutes they backed out and we followed suit.

Bottom line: Would we stay again? YES! Would we valet again? NO!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel and front desk, I am deeply sorry for the issues you experienced with our valet parking. I can assure you that this is an isolated incident, and not the service we are known for. I will follow up with our parking manager to make sure this issue is addressed. I would like to reach out to your further in person to make this right. Please contact me directly at the hotel at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

Maryville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

My wife and I just returned from St. Louis for the 4th of July weekend. This was our first trip to St. Louis, and we will definitely be back.

LOCATION
This is THE perfect place to stay for Fair St. Louis or any other events at the Arch.
You literally walk out of the hotel and are at the park in about 100 yards. It is also walking distance to Lacledes Landing (a waterfront bar/restaurant area similar to Savannah, though not quite as nice). The Old Courthouse (where Dred Scott cases were held) is right across the street, Busch Stadium is a short walk (maybe 10 minutes at most) and worth a visit even if they aren't playing, and there are several eateries in the area, such as Imo's (famous St. Louis style pizza). If you need to be near the Arch, definitely stay at the Hyatt!

PARKING
I've read a few people complaining about parking, but we found it to be very accessible. Being teachers on a limited budget, we didn't opt for the valet parking. Instead, we self-parked at a garage (I think called Mansion House Garage), which is about a 1 minute walk from the hotel. (The staff told us about it, which was a great money saver.) The weeknight rates are $8 and the weekend rates are $3. We arrived on Thursday and paid $8, and then our bill for Friday and Saturday was only $6 ($3 each night). Sunday night we actually found a spot on the street by the Old Courthouse, so we parked there as a policeman told us that would be ok for the 4th. So for the incredibly busy holiday weekend, we spent a total of $14 on parking.

ROOM
We didn't have an Arch-view room (perfectly ok as we were spending our time outside anyway), but we did have an awesome view of the water and bridge. This was nice as we could watch some of the planes practicing for the air shows. The bed was incredibly comfortable, and once we figured out the air-conditioning then I was able to get it frosty like I prefer. The bathroom was clean, and we had a mini-fridge, which was nice to keep a few drinks and left overs. As some others have mentioned, you can hear some doors slam but that was about it. For being such a busy weekend, we didn't hear many doors late at night or early in the morning. We can't speak much about maid service, as we always just put the privacy sign on the door since we didn't need our beds made up each day for us. We knew they were busy enough, and we just figured we'd ask for a towel or shampoos if we needed them. When we saw them in the hallways, though, they were always friendly and said "Hello." If there was anything to improve upon for the room it would be to have privacy signs that stay on the door easier (our seemed to fall off every time we opened the door) and to add some more channels to their cable package (no Comedy Central), Those were minor and trivial as everything else was top-notch.

SERVICE
We were just blown away by the friendliness and helpfulness of all of the staff at the Hyatt. Before checking in I talked with Andy (a concierge) and Chris (manager) who both went way out of their way to make sure we had a great experience in St. Louis. Victoria checked us in, and when she knew this was our first time to St. Louis then she took extra time to show us some areas on a map and give us some tips that the locals know (but I was sworn to secrecy so I can't tell them here). In the Regency Club all of the workers there were very pleasant and helpful and would often ask how the Hyatt was treating us and how they could help. For such a busy weekend (and it was packed!), everyone was just incredibly pleasant and just seemed happy to work there. We've stayed at Ritz Carltons, Swissotels, and other great hotels before (I haven't always been a teacher), but we have never stayed at a place where everyone we encountered was as friendly as the Hyatt at the Arch!

CONCLUSION
Before coming to St. Louis, we thought this trip would be fun but an "Ok, we can check it off the list now," kind of trip. After our fabulous stay at the Hyatt and visiting all of the great places to visit, it's now become a destination for us. Any time we travel near St. Louis in the future, we'll be certain to schedule in a couple of days to our itinerary to visit St. Louis again and stay at the Hyatt!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, July 9, 2011
Coach! Thank you for your great review and for spending your 4th of July weekend with us. St. Louis is truly a hidden gem as a summer getaway; we very much appreciate your business and your glowing review. Also thank you for reaching out to me prior to your trip, it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife, and to give you some of the inside scoop on what St. Louis has to offer.

Please visit St. Louis again, there's a lot to offer every weekend, and our concierge is more than happy to share her "local secrets". Again, thank you, and we look forward to your next visit.

Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

The hotel I normally stay at was sold out because American Idol was in town, so this is where I landed. I was told by a St. Louis native that this hotel was VERY OLD. This property has been renovated and nicely done. The decor is not so contemporary to be uncomfortable. The odor old hotels have is present but I'm not sure anything can be done about that.

The room layout was conducive to working and I had a nice view of the river and the arch. There was even some live bamboo in the bathroom that I thought was a nice touch. The only thing I noticed that stood out showing the hotel was older was that the doors to & in all the rooms were a wood grain popular in the 70s-80s and some of the laminate was peeling off around the door of the bathroom.

I ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was VERY good. The service was great but as is typical with hotels, expensive. While my omelett rocked, I'm not sure it was worth $22 after tip. There are plenty other places within walking distance I could have gotten breakfast from that would have been half the price.

Over all if my regular hotel was sold out again, I would rebook here with no qualms.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and for giving Hyatt your business since your regular St. Louis hotel was sold out. We are very proud of our recent extensive renovation, and offer some of the nicest suites and Arch view rooms in the city. We'd love you to choose Hyatt as your first choice, as we treat our regulars as VIPs, with access to our Regency Club lounge, and upgrades when available. Also we'd do our best to keep you from having to book elsewhere, even on sold out nights. Please contact me if you have any questions or comments. Thank you again for your review!

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

The temperature was 100 degrees and the humidity was high, high, high. The 900+ room hotel was at capacity each day we stayed there. One day a conference of 750 people checked out and an equal number of guests checked-in. At all times the staff was courteous and cheerful. Someone was always available to answer any questions that we had. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Hyatt-MGMT, Manager at Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Thank you for your review. It's crazy how hot St. Louis can be in the summer, even to someone from Texas! We appreciate you taking the time to comment on our service, and look forward to your next visit (it should cool down by October). Please contact me if there is anything I can do for you.

Christopher.palid@hyatt.com

Been to Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch? Share your experiences!