“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of City Museum

City Museum
701 N 15th St, Saint Louis, MO 63103 (Downtown)
314 231 2489
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 131 Attractions in Saint Louis
Type: Children's Museums, Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Don’t take the name so literally. We're about fun. Not your white walls, walk around, and be quiet museum. If you want to climb around, get active with your kids or are a big kid at heart, we're the place. If you get freaked out easily, you might not want to come. We’re four floors filled with miles of tunnels, a full cave system, over 30 slides, a circus, an arts area, a large outdoor climbing space, Architectural Museum, a Cabin that serves adult beverages, a Museum of Mayhem, Mirth and Mystery, and a ton more. Also, there’s the roof with a Ferris Wheel and a bus hanging off its edge. Finally, just so you’re aware, The World Aquarium is not part of City Museum, but a non-profit located within us. There is an additional charge to go in their space.
MN
6 attraction reviews
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We took a short trip to St Louis last year and when my wife told me we were going to the City Museum I was not really thrilled. I thought it was a an actual museum and being from the remote parts of MN I am really not a city person, much less do I like museums, Well since it was a family trip I said I would do it for the kids. As soon as we got there and entered I was a bit confused. Well anyway what a GREAT time we had with the kids. I should have agreed to a full day. A must see if you are in the area!

Visited November 2012

Layton, Utah
“Creative Amazement and delightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

What a fun place to experience! In town on business and do not have my children with me...this is still a place to visit and enjoy!

Memphis, TN
26 attraction reviews
“Funhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We spend about 4 hours here, and had a lot of fun for two adults. If you have kids, plan on staying all day. This place is truly unique. We enjoyed the aquarium, and felt it was worth the extra cost. We did not go to the rooftop, but will definitely go back to experience the rooftop. It was fairly crowded on a Saturday afternoon. Food prices were surprisingly affordable, not the usual amusement park prices. Put this on your list of must-do's for St. Louis.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“SO MUCH FUN!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We are a couple in our mid-twenties, and found the City Museum to be one of the most fun things we've ever done. We've traveled all over the world, and the City Museum would definitely rank in the top 3 things (for my husband it was #1... this beat out the Great Wall of China, cruises to the Caribbean, and was way better than Disney). So yes, we were super impressed!I love that we didn't even realize how much exercise we were getting!

We love adventure, exploration, and getting the chance to be a kid again. My husband loves climbing, so he was in lala land. The staff was nice and helpful & the food inside of the museum was delicious and reasonably priced. Admission was also a great price (and the roof was worth it). Especially considering that we spent 4.5 hours there. Also, the coat check was only $1, not bad at all! The only reason we didn't stay longer was because we were getting too worn out.

My only warnings:
1) We should have listened to the guy who wrote a review about knee pads. I didn't realize it during the time we were at the Museum, but the day after my legs were completed bruised & we were both super sore.
2) It messes with your head. In the days following our time at the museum, we forgot we weren't at the museum anymore and couldn't climb on whatever we wanted, or couldn't explore a crack/hole in the ground/wall. It was difficult for us to walk along the streets and not go and climb up the electric pole, etc. Our mindset wasn't quite with it... (but don't worry, we didn't give into the temptations).

Chicago, Illinois
66 attraction reviews
“One of a kind museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Amazing museum using urban building materials to construct a giant playground for children of all ages. Spent hours there with our grandchildren who loved it. Also has an interesting aquarium and a rooftop Ferris wheel.