“Zoo exhibits were excellent even though it was a rainy day!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 319 things to do in Saint Louis
Activities: Viewing wildlife, Birdwatching, Leisure education
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Visitors are wowed by this zoo that has 6,600 animals and 15 major exhibit areas.
southwest missouri
“Zoo exhibits were excellent even though it was a rainy day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

We took the whole family to the zoo and had a great time despite the rain. The exhibits were amazing. Our youngest child loved the monkeys, zebras, elephants, and hippos. There were very few things that weren't out due to the time of year. We look forward to going back again. When we were going to leave at closing, we had car trouble and the zoo rangers let us stay inside until our ride came. What more could you ask for when on vacation.

• Polish first
Kalamazoo
“Didn't live up to the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

I really enjoy zoo and was looking forward to seeing "one of the best zoos in the world." I was very disappointed. I think one mistake was mine for going a couple days after a big snow. There was almost no staff on the premises that I noticed and everything was shut down. All of the little shops and concessions were closed that were not part of larger building. Most animals were not outside. The animals were kept in small enclosures inside. The one part of the zoo that I was looking forward to the most was entirely closed "due to icy conditions." I would be willing to give this zoo another chance during warmer weather, but I have definitely seen better zoos than this. (Ft. Wayne Zoo and Toledo Zoo come to mind).

Kansas City, Kansas
“Lots of recent deaths and health issues”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

I would say the zoo overall is fine however, I was totally taken aback by the small size of the elephant enclosure and the obvious medical issue of one elephant in particular. We also learned that they have a deadly herpes virus within their elephant group. That sounds not so healthy.

They are also completely without any polar bears due to deaths last year and two primates also died in 2009.

Have to wonder with all the deaths and health issues what is going on at the St. Louis Zoo.

Grand Rapids, MI
141 attraction reviews
“Awesome zoo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

My expectations were blown away by this zoo. It was huge! And free! We went early and rode the carousel and went to the Children's Zoo for free (there's usually a charge for those). We were there all day and didn't finish the whole zoo. The habitats are beautiful. Not sure if it was allowed, but we had no problem bringing in our own lunch. Bring bathing suits/towels for little kids - there is a nice splashpad in the kiddie zoo. Staff was very nice.

Kentucky
6 attraction reviews
“Nice Free Stop for Families and Animal Lovers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

Great zoo! They have plenty of exhibits and admission is completely free. It is a nice place to spend the afternoon if you enjoy zoos.