“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Activities: Viewing wildlife, Birdwatching, Leisure education
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Visitors are wowed by this zoo that has 6,600 animals and 15 major exhibit areas.
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I had an amazing time taking our 2 small children to this zoo. The zoo opened at 9 but we got there at about 8:20 so we ended up not having to pay the $15 for parking. We bought Safari passes so the train, motion simulator, children's zoo, and carousel were inclusive. The sea lion exhibit was under construction but I think normally the sea lion show is included also with the Safari pass. Food wasn't incredibly overpriced like it tends to be at other zoos either. My only complaint would be that our seats on the motion simulator had to be turned off because our kids were too short but I suppose those rules are there for a reason so I can't really complain. Excellent trip, I would reccommend anyone visiting St. Louis to go.

• Polish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
21 attraction reviews
“Best Zoo in the US.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

As a Travel Agent, I travel all the time. And I have visited zoos all over and not a one of them can hold a candle to my hometown zoo. Clean, Great Animals, Love the shows. The eating areas have great atmosphere. Its FREE!!! Still has a train that takes you around to get an overview of the park. Love to have a picnic at Forest Park right outside the doors of the zoo. Malybe a little trip to the Museum up the hill. Just can't be beat!!!

Visited August 2011
Pensacola, Florida
42 attraction reviews
“Skip the petting zoo and spend more time at the Hippos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We took our grandson to the Children's zoo first and found it to be a waste of time. Who needs to groom a goat when there are so many exotic creatures to be seen. He really enjoyed watching the hippos swim from the underwater view. The zoo is free but the parking lot is $15 unless you are a member or park on the street.

Visited April 2012
Rock Island, Illinois
9 attraction reviews
“fun day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

don't go on days when there is no school in the spring or in the summer if you don't have kids with you----otherwise it's fun to just walk, relax and enjoy the animals

Visited August 2011
Indiana, USA
7 attraction reviews
“Major parking hassle and disappointing zoo.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We had heard that the St. Louis zoo was worth visiting, but were very disappointed. First of all, the parking situation is a complete nightmare. Granted, it was a summer weekend. However, the traffic was backed up for miles. Given the size of the green space located around the zoo, it amazes me that they don't have a decent size area to park. If I had been impressed with the zoo itself, it might have made up for the problems with parking. However, we found that there seemed to be more time walking and walking and walking than there was time looking at animals. Often, the enclosures would be identified with nothing more than the animal's name on sign -- no information about were the animal was from, what it's diet consists of, habits in the wild, etc. If you are visiting for the botanical views, you will be happy. It has a nice appearance. It just seemed low on animals. Plus, there were several big exhibits that you had to pay extra to see. I wasn't expecting to compare it to a world-renowned zoo, like San Diego (which is amazing!), but the animals it contained paled in comparison to the Louisville zoo near our home.

Visited July 2011