“Very Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Evansville
“Very Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

This hotel is close to Forest Park. We had a King suite that had a room with the bed and another room with 2 recliners and a tv. The breakfast was excellent with a good selection and someone always there to fill whatever was empty. The hotel is right of interstate 44 and has a light to allow you to enter and exit the property easily.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

I just returned from staying a week at the Drury Inn & Suites Forest Park in St. Louis. I accompanied a family member who was hospitalized for tests nearby, and I couldn't be more pleased. As most everyone has said, the hotel is neat and clean and its furnishings and fixtures still seem to appear new and in working order, nearly all the staff I encountered were incredibly friendly and helpful, the breakfast in my opinion certainly beats cold cereal or toast, and I particularly liked the underground parking. The front desk staff worked with me on letting my family member check in early following discharge from the hospital and checking out late the following day, being unable to timely load the luggage, medical equipment and someone who just didn't feel well. My large, well-appointed room was pretty quiet but away from the interstate yet above the pool area. Can't say so much for the kids running around wild on Saturday night, though--but that's a parental thing.

For my purposes, the hotel was situated perfectly--close to the hospital, The Hill and the botanical gardens. When I return, I will stay there and also visit the nearby St. Louis Zoo and the several nearby museums. I had no trouble finding the location via my GPS, nor using my GPS getting to/from the Galleria and Frontenac malls. If you haven't heard of The Hill and its wonderful restaurants, bakeries and markets, you must given them a try. What fabulous Italian food. Admittedly, the vicinity of the hotel is in an older residential/commercial area, but it's a very proud Italian neighborhood where just about all the homes and yards are kept immaculate. It's really a lovely neighborhood to explore. On only a couple of occasions I encountered little difficulties at the hotel--I ventured downstairs for breakfast right at 9:30 and the waffle irons were shut off and the food staff wasn't too willing to stop and assist, they were more focused on cleaning the breakfast area up. Another day I left the room shortly before noon and returned about 3:00 but my room was not made up. A note was slipped under my door shortly after my return indicating housekeeping came by at 2:00 to clean but was unable to do so. Housekeeping did keep supplying me with bars of soap and bottles of shampoo, not to mention fresh towels. The little refrigerators and microwaves were so helpful so I could bring in and prepare special meals for my family member to eat. Also try the Italian restaurant on site. I carried out two meals from there and was extremely pleased. I did not use the pool or the work-out room. With all the other things I had to pack, I did not bring my laptop so didn't utilize the free Wi-Fi but did use one of the hotel's two computers in their business center. I also did not attend a happy hour but the popcorn smelled fabulous and I saw some of the appetizers others were carrying on their plates. I think I missed out!

I hate to let this secret out, but this property is a really good one.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Bowling Green, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

Stayed 3 nights with my husband and 3 yr old. The hotel itself is very nice. We had the two room suite, which was a bedroom with a separate living room area. This was definitely worth the extra charge for our situation. The bedroom had two queen beds and a flat screen tv. The living room area had a sofa with a pull-out bed, a nice recliner, coffee table and another flat screen tv. In between the two rooms on one side was the bathroom, with a long counter space area on the other side. This is where the microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, and an additional sink were located. The counter also had two bar stools. We found this arrangement very nice as it allowed us to put our 3 year old down for naps and bedtime in the bedroom, while my husband and I could stay up later in the living room without disturbing her. The extra tv also allowed her to watch cartoons anytime she pleased. The hotel and room were very clean and everything looked new and updated. The breakfast buffet was nice with several offerings that should please almost everyone. We didn't sample the free alcoholic beverages, but it was nice to have the sodas and popcorn in the afternoon. We used the pool on one afternoon, but the water was quite cold. The pool is half inside/half outside, so I'm not sure how they maintain the temperature during the Fall time of year. My husband also appreciated the free WiFi connection, which helped us locate alternate traffic routes and restaurant locations on his ITouch. My only complaint with the room was the traffic noise at night. The hotel is directly beside I-44, and our room was on the side of the hotel that faced the highway. Traffic was very noticeable all night long. I highly recommend that you request a room on the opposite side of the hotel. The hotel is also located in what appears to be an older residential neighborhood, but we didn't have any problems with security. The enclosed garage is very nice. As far as proximity to attractions & food, this hotel is great if you are visiting the zoo....you couldn't get any closer. Finding a wide array of restaurants is more difficult. There are several small, independently owned Italian restaurants in the vincinity, as well as a couple of fast food places (looked a little run down though). We ended up going to the Galleria area one night to eat and then we went down to the Kirkwood exit of I-44 a few other nights (about 8 miles away) where we were able to find a wide variety of chain restaurants (O'Charleys, Chili's, Texas Roadhouse, Uno Bar and Grill, etc). With the I-64 closures, travel is somewhat difficult around town. However, overall we had an enjoyable experience and would recommend this hotel if you don't mind the minor inconveniences of the location.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Evansville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

The hotel is very close to Forest Park, which makes it very convienient after a day at the zoo. It is very clean and relatively new. The service from all the employees was tremendous. Everyone was incredibly friendly. Parking in the underground garage was nice. The snacks that they served were very good. Breakfast was also very good. The waffles were great.

I was also very pleased with the room. It was spacious and was very clean. I think the bathroom was one of the larger hotel bathrooms I've ever seen.

All in all, this was a very nice stay for a good price. I will definitely stay here again whenever in St. Louis.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Springfield, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

My husband and I stayed 2 nights and took advantage of all the "extras that aren't extra". The free happy hour and breakfast were great. The indoor/outdoor pool was perfect and we were also able to park underground one night. We chose the hotel to be close to The Hill and it was certainly convenient.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights while moving our child into Washington Univ. It had it's good and bad points, which travelers must realize before booking this hotel. I'm a long time user of tripadvisor.com, and I advise all readers to carefully read the bad reviews, because they are gold mines of good information and insights.

First the good:
1. The building is new, clean, spacious, beautiful lobby.
2. The rooms are equally beautiful and clean. We stayed in a 2-room suite (similar to an Embassy Suites) because we had our teens with us who require some space. The suite had small kitchenette with microwave and fridge. Beds were comfortable to us (although some other reviewers thought they were too firm).
3. Parking is free and secure ... which is required, given the neighborhood.
4. The attached Italian restaurant seemed very nice. They had a nice bar (which is their substitute for the lack of a lobby bar) and a nice outdoor patio facing the noisy and polluted freeway.

Now the bad:
1. It's not in a good neighborhood. Very congested, crowded. No where to safely walk to or eat out. Our room overlooked the noisy freeway; there's a train track nearby; the pool overlooked an old neighborhood with small homes right next to the hotel. It's virtually impossible to find via GPS if you are traveling city streets.
2. The air conditioning unit was the type that sits on the floor under a window. Why don't hotels install "central" air in a brand new building? The unit was loud and did NOT cool down the outer living room. Between the air conditioning, the freeway , and the trains, one could NOT GET A GOOD NIGHT'S REST! Isn't that the purpose of staying at a good hotel?
3. The "hot" breakfast was inedible. For the first time in my life, I guiltily threw away an entire plate of food. So the "free" breakfast was neither hot nor edible nor free.
4. The 'free" evening reception featured Bud Light on tap and very low quality liquor and wine. The snacks were actually better than the breakfast (nachos, cheese dip, veggies and dip).
5. Here's the kicker ... our 2-room suite was expensive! We paid $189 / night for our "suite" and it wasn't worth it! For the same price, we could have stayed at a full service hotel.
6. Went down to the pool to enjoy some relaxation time and sun. It was horrible. The pool overlooked someone's backyard ... and it wasn't a nice backyard.
7. One day, the housekeeping staff didn't feel like cleaning our room, so they took our "Do Not Disturb" sign from INSIDE OF OUR ROOM, and placed it outside, and then left an apologetic note on our door saying they couldn't clean our room. I've been a frequent flyer / traveler for 25 years, and this is the first time this has happened to me. It's quite clever, actually.

Next time we visit our son, we'll check out the new Homewood Suites near the St. Louis Galleria. It's closer to restaurants and shopping. Although like the majority of St. Louis, it's under heavy construction in the area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
KimChappell, eMarketing Specialist at Drury Inn & Suites Forest Park, responded to this review, September 8, 2009
We appreciate hearing from our guests and thank you for the feedback on your recent stay at the Drury Inn & Suites Forest Park. Our hotel sits at the corner of Highway 44 and Hampton Avenue and is centrally located within 10 miles of Clayton, Downtown, and South Saint Louis. The hotel is nestled in a unique and eclectic historic area of southwest Saint Louis known as "The Hill." This urban community is the city's traditional Italian American neighborhood, famous for fantastic Italian restaurants, a strong history, and also for being a tight-knit community. We find that most of our guests find a fondness for the Hill's atmosphere and it's dozens of bakeries and family-owned restaurants. Bartolino's Osteria, the restaurant that is attached to the hotel, is just one of those secrets of Saint Louis. They moved from a corner of Hampton Avenue after 40 years to join us in opening this new hotel in 2008. Thank you for your kind words on the cleanliness of our hotel as well. We pride ourselves in having spotlessly clean rooms and public areas and we apologize that you encountered any troubles at all during your stay. If we may, we encourage you to please feel free to speak with any one of our team members about any hiccups that you may have during your stay. Our goal is to fix them before they become bothersome. If we do not know there is a problem, we are unable to fix it, so from our Management staff to you, thank you for your response. We hope you will return to our hotel next time you visit your soon!
jo913
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

This hotel had just opened in the spring. It was like something out of a magazine. Huge foyer, free internet in the lobby, beautiful breakfast area, up to 3 free drinks each night, free soft drinks & popcorn from 3-10 every night.
Beautiful indoor/outdoor pool, huge hot tub, laundry room. Convenient to everything that we wanted to see. I would recommend this Hotel to everyone, it even allows pets, which is getting harder to find.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Drury Inn & Suites Forest Park? Share your experiences!