We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights while moving our child into Washington Univ. It had it's good and bad points, which travelers must realize before booking this hotel. I'm a long time user of tripadvisor.com, and I advise all readers to carefully read the bad reviews, because they are gold mines of good information and insights.
First the good:
1. The building is new, clean, spacious, beautiful lobby.
2. The rooms are equally beautiful and clean. We stayed in a 2-room suite (similar to an Embassy Suites) because we had our teens with us who require some space. The suite had small kitchenette with microwave and fridge. Beds were comfortable to us (although some other reviewers thought they were too firm).
3. Parking is free and secure ... which is required, given the neighborhood.
4. The attached Italian restaurant seemed very nice. They had a nice bar (which is their substitute for the lack of a lobby bar) and a nice outdoor patio facing the noisy and polluted freeway.
Now the bad:
1. It's not in a good neighborhood. Very congested, crowded. No where to safely walk to or eat out. Our room overlooked the noisy freeway; there's a train track nearby; the pool overlooked an old neighborhood with small homes right next to the hotel. It's virtually impossible to find via GPS if you are traveling city streets.
2. The air conditioning unit was the type that sits on the floor under a window. Why don't hotels install "central" air in a brand new building? The unit was loud and did NOT cool down the outer living room. Between the air conditioning, the freeway , and the trains, one could NOT GET A GOOD NIGHT'S REST! Isn't that the purpose of staying at a good hotel?
3. The "hot" breakfast was inedible. For the first time in my life, I guiltily threw away an entire plate of food. So the "free" breakfast was neither hot nor edible nor free.
4. The 'free" evening reception featured Bud Light on tap and very low quality liquor and wine. The snacks were actually better than the breakfast (nachos, cheese dip, veggies and dip).
5. Here's the kicker ... our 2-room suite was expensive! We paid $189 / night for our "suite" and it wasn't worth it! For the same price, we could have stayed at a full service hotel.
6. Went down to the pool to enjoy some relaxation time and sun. It was horrible. The pool overlooked someone's backyard ... and it wasn't a nice backyard.
7. One day, the housekeeping staff didn't feel like cleaning our room, so they took our "Do Not Disturb" sign from INSIDE OF OUR ROOM, and placed it outside, and then left an apologetic note on our door saying they couldn't clean our room. I've been a frequent flyer / traveler for 25 years, and this is the first time this has happened to me. It's quite clever, actually.
Next time we visit our son, we'll check out the new Homewood Suites near the St. Louis Galleria. It's closer to restaurants and shopping. Although like the majority of St. Louis, it's under heavy construction in the area.
- Also Known As:
- Drury Inn And Suites Forest Park
- Drury Inn & Suites Forest Park Hotel
- Drury Inn & Suites Forest Park Hotel Saint Louis
- Drury Inn Forest Park
- Drury Inn Saint Louis
- Drury Saint Louis
- Saint Louis Drury
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Forest Park is more than a swing set and a frisbee field. Featuring a free zoo, art & history museum, bike trails and more, Forest Park makes Central Park blush. Drury Inn & Suites offers its guests a variety of free extras – take, for example, our free hot breakfast. At Drury, “hot” means scrambled eggs, biscuits & gravy, sausage and make-your-own Belgian waffles. In the evening, join us at our 5:30 Kickback® for free hot food and cold beverages. Our rotating menu features a variety of hot foods, baked potatoes, garden salad, beer, wine, mixed drinks and more! To burn off all of those free extras, Drury has a 24-hour exercise center and a parking lot to jog around. Lastly, Drury’s free wireless Internet and free long distance calls will ensure you can keep tabs on all of your posse back home. Drury Inn & Suites Forest Park is conveniently located just one mile from “The Hill”, where you can enjoy the taste of St Louis' finest Italian restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Drury Hotels Company, LLC, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Drury Inn & Suites Forest Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.