“Great value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Evansville, IN
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

This was our first stay at a Drury and we were very pleased. We stayed in a suite, which was very spacious and had lots of counter space, a refrigerator, & a microwave. The happy hour reception is great, especially for the kids. They had pasta with meatballs and marinara, hot dogs, chips/salsa/cheese, baked potatoes, salad, and soup. Not bad for a mid-scale hotel.........nothing too fancy but we felt like we got a lot for the price. We typically stay at Hampton's or Marriott's but we'll start putting Drury in the mix after this trip.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

First the good... We stayed for 4 nights to visit the St. Louis sites. The location to all the popular family attractions is excellent. The breakfast was a big plus. Lots of options, eggs, biscuit, sausage, waffles, yogurt, cereal, donuts. The kids loved it. We also liked the layout of the room. Lots of counter space, bathroom size was perfect, shower was clean, beds were comfortable, and the fridge worked great.

The not so good... The cleanliness of the room was disappointing- specifically the bedding. Upon opening the sofa bed for one of our children to use, we found popcorn under the mattress, the mattress pad on the sofa bed was dirty, hair on it, stains, etc. I called down to get a replacement mattress pad. It was sent up promptly with an apology. Then when I took the bedding out of the closet I found the sheets to be less than clean. I took it down to the front desk and asked for new sheets. I was given an apology and offered a discount off the rate for the night. After now changing the bedding myself, I found the blanket to have a large gross stain on it. I again... went down to the front desk for a replacement. It wasn't a good way to start. For the next three days housekeeping was fine. On the fourth day housekeeping changed the sheets. That night I found the blanket on one bed to have brown debris on it. Gross. Not sure what it was- I did not want to know... Because it was our last night I took it off the bed and slept without the blanket and was ready to go.

The pool was a big disappointment. It is small for this size hotel, and very crowded. The water is gross, cloudy, and had stuff floating in it. The chlorine was so strong it hurt your eyes to be in the room for more than 30 minutes. The floor is very slippery and towels were lacking. After one swim, our kids did not want to go back in it.

The 5:30 kick back food is so-so. The offerings are the same night to night and are basically frozen food heated. Many families used it as their dinner meal which makes it crowded and a bit hectic. It is a nice perk, and if intended for snacks- great. Not great for full family meals.

All in all, this was an average hotel with a great location, and comfortable beds. The management needs to give more attention to cleanliness, especially on the bedding and a changing of the pool water, and it would be a big improvement.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Forest Park, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay with us. I am happy that you enjoyed our location and our breakfast. I do, however, apologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced while a guest at our hotel. Cleanliness issues are taken seriously at our hotel and we have shared your feedback with our housekeeping team to use it as a training tool during our daily huddle to ensure that this does not happen again. Our pool is very popular and when a large amount of people are in the pool, sometimes the water does tend to get cloudy. Our pool equipment works hard to keep chemicals in the pool resulting in a strong chlorine odor sometimes. Again, we will share your comments with our team to help us improve. I hope that when you return to St. Louis you will give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs and stay with us again.

James Vavak
Georgetown, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The hotel is nice, and the location was convenient. Drury's breakfast, afternoon food, and free soda is always great. We did have a couple of housekeeping glitches that left me feeling less than thrilled with the stay though. When we checked into our room, dirty towels and trash had been left in the closet. 1 day of our 3 night stay, our room was not cleaned. When we returned that evening and found the room not cleaned, I called down to the service desk to ask for some clean towels to be sent up - the towels never arrived, so we had to go down to ask for them 2 hours later. Not a big deal, but definitely not the level of service that I expect.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Forest Park, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the housekeeping glitches you experienced while a guest at our hotel. We have discussed your comments with our housekeeping and front desk teams to help prevent this from happening again in the future. We hope that if your travel brings you back to St. Louis that you will give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs and deliver an outstanding guest experience.

James Vavak
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

This was my 2nd stay at this location; we stayed for a week this time. We use to live in STL, so when we return, we like to have a good location. This one fits the bill as it's right next to 44 and close to Forest Park, downtown, and 270. Overall, I'd say it's my 2nd choice, though, as I really like the Drury in Valley Park.

WHY IT'S NOT A 5 STAR REVIEW: This Drury Inn is always busy/crowded and sometimes the lady at the front desk lacks expertise in customer service (even though she's been employed since 2010). The pool area is too small and a few times I think capacity was reached. Additionally, the pool towels are ridiculously small, though a perfect size for a 7 year old. Breakfast is always crowded, too, though they will open the convention area if it gets too bad. Only a couple mornings did I find some food items out of stock due to the volume of people eating. There will always be tons of people in the elevator or slamming doors in the wee hours of the night/morning. Obviously, it's a popular hotel; however, I found the 'crowds' to be annoying. Then, one morning the front desk lady seemed unable to multitask with multiple guests needing to check in or find a missing item etc. Worse though- she seemed unconcerned with the obvious distress/annoyance she was causing.

THE GOOD: The amenities of a Drury can't be beat, and that is why we always choose this brand when we travel to STL. I've stayed in 5 locations around the city and this one is my 2nd choice. The rooms are nice, the lobby is large, and breakfast/happy hour is plentiful. If you want to go to Forest Park or the Hill or Downtown, then this is a perfect choice. I also find the housekeeping crew to be very efficient, friendly, and hard working... more so than any other location I've been to.

We will be back.

York, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

A great spot for families outside the city, close to Forest Park and the Zoo. Clean rooms, exceptionally helpful staff, quality breakfast. We'd give it 5 stars, but the water in the pool seems to be lacking in freshness. The afternoon snack was decent enough for a kids dinner (chicken fingers, hot dogs, nachos) so we brought carry-out barbeque from Pappy's for me and my wife to enjoy while our girls ate at the Drury.

Stayed June 2014
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

On a recent trip that took us to St. Louis, we stayed one night at the Drury Inn and Suites in Forest Park. This was our first stay at a a Drury, and we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is not new, but it was built with quality materials and maintained very well. The bathroom and its fixtures especially were of very high quality. The rooms are large and pleasant, and very clean. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and very helpful. We had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
RHOME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Have stayed here 3 times and love it! Clean and friendly! We travel with our dog and their pet friendly rooms don't smell like so many other places. The food and free drinks are a great touch and always fresh. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Drury Inn & Suites Forest Park? Share your experiences!