“run baby run” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada St Joseph

You added Ramada St Joseph to your Saves list
Ramada St Joseph
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4016 Frederick Boulevard, I-29, Exit 47, Saint Joseph, MO 64506   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Saint Joseph
loganville
“run baby run”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

planned a nice fathers day week with my dad and son,used to live in st.joe,and the ramada was ok,let me tell how that has changed. this place is very musty and moldy.they have let this place run down to nothing.no security at door 5 no locks,do not need a pass key,people with their children inside, anybody can walk right in.day 2they gave my room to someone else,very awkward at 11pm. this place is dirty and needs to many things for me to list.manager was never told of problems,went i got back to atlanta ,icalled and she offered to take the room safe off of my bill,and give them another chance next time i was in town. good luck with that. run from this place as fast as you can!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Aurora, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

I stayed here May 15-18 and was rather nervous given the reviews. We had 3 rooms and didn't have any of the issues with bedbugs or other bugs; the hotel is dated and as a result a bit grimy but not horrible -- and what do you really expect for 80 a night? We stayed primarily to take the little kids to the water park and they loved it; the water park isn't included in the rack rate but it's $20 for 5 people if your staying vs 20+ per person if you get a day pass so well worth it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
St. Joseph, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

My family and I checked into the Ramada on November the 22nd for my neice's 4th birthday party. There was 4 adults with 5 children, so we had 2 adjoining rooms. Early in the evening after swimming for a while we put my 2 neices in the bath tub. My sister had to clean the bath tub before she could even put the girls into it. It was filthy. Within a few minutes my oldest neice started to scream due to a rather large cockroach that was crawling up the wall. My aunt went to the front desk and complained. They offered to move us, but our rooms would not be together, and we had already decorated for the party, so we opted to stay put. They did credit back 1/3 of our bill to our credit card. While getting the girls out of the tub we realized the water was not draining. So we then went from having 2 showers for 9 people to only 1 shower for 9 people.
At about 5AM my 2 year old son woke up screaming and crying. When I approached his bed I actually seen a bug crawling off of him onto the bed. I managed to grab the bug and put it into some tissue paper. When I picked my son up I immediatly noticed that he had blood on his back above his diaper, I was horrified. I shouted for my daughter who was sleeping in the same bed to get up, and we turned on all of the lights. We observed an other bug in the bed. I threw all of the covers on to the floor and flipped the boxsprings up. The bed was infested with bedbugs! There was small transparent ones, full grown ones, and dead ones. And in the mix of all of this there was a pair of dirty ladies underpants just laying there from someone else who had stayed there god only knows when.
We took my son to the front desk along with the bug we found on him in the bloody tissue. The lady working at the time did not seem to be suprised or upset in the least bit. She offered us some antiseptic medicine to clean the bite. We demanded that she come to the room to see for herself what we had found and she stated that she did not to see the bugs, she believed us. We went back to our room and started moving all of our belongings to the hallway and getting the little ones dressed to leave. I couldn't help myself, I had to know, so I flipped the boxsprings from the 3 other beds in the rooms, they were all infested. And I found long hairs in between the sheets and comforter on a bed that none of us had even been in yet. I called the lady at the front desk and asked her to come to the room again. When she arrived she acted like it was no big deal. I asked her to call her manager, she refused. She said she was the person to deal with. We demanded a full refund, asked for a luggage cart, someone to help us out with everything, and bags to place the bugs in. She informed us that the hotel had no luggage carts, and she was the only person working at the time. There are 161 rooms, and only 1 employee???? She did meet us in passing in the hallway as we were trying to get 5 kids, luggage, and tons of birthday gifts into our car at 5:20 in the morning and handed us our receipt showing a full refund that stated "problem with room" and 2 plastic bags. They also called a cab for a few of our family members to go home in, and paid the 7.oo charge.
We had to leave all of our belongings outside or in the car, including the birthday gifts, until everything could be cleaned and laundered properly. We had to strip our children down and put them in the bath tub so they could safely go to their own beds to go back to sleep. It was a nightmare experience for everyone.
My son was seen by a doctor. The bugs got inside of his diaper and bit him in some very unpleasent places, he also had bites on his foot, both legs, stomach, back, arm, and face. My son has had on-going health problems for a while now. I felt I was taking him to a clean, safe, and healthy environment. If I wanted to take a chance of him being exposed to filth and insects we would have went camping.
We called the healthboard and they investigated the rooms. They found blood traces, dead bugs, and live bugs. The manager stated to the local tv station that the mattresses had been burned. We found the mattresses in the dumpster, not burned. We were told by an exterminator that it was reasonable to say that because of finding the baby bugs, adult bugs, and dead bugs, that they had been in that mattress for more that 30 days.
There was no phone calls from management all day Sunday or Monday morning to check on my son or apoligize for what had happened. When we went to the hotel at noon on Monday the manager stated to us that they did not have bugs, their rooms were cleaned throughly, and that she had no idea what we were talking about. Supposedly the lady working the night of the incident just told her boss that there was an incident involving a "bug" in a room, and she refunded the guest their money. When I asked her the last time the room had been sprayed for bugs she said she didn't know.
To say the least we will never be going back to the Ramada. It's bad enough what happened, but the way we were treated by the staff is completly unexcusable and unforgiveable. They treated us as if we did something wrong. If the beds had been cleaned properly they probably would have noticed atleast the dead bugs and the dirty underwear before we checked in. Their idea of a family friendly place is just digusting to me.

Stayed November 2008
Saint Joseph
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

My daughter had her 5th birthday party at Monkey Cove water park. I had rented out the party room for 1 hour. Upon arrival my room was not ready, and we missed 10 minutes of her party waiting for plates and silverware for their cake. I overlooked this, all in all my daughter really enjoyed the water park. Adults dont plan to swim in deep water. The deepest there is , is 3 foot. The hot tub is nice though, its 4 feet deep and fits 20 people or a little less. But dont forget for check out to bring cash. I was charged twice on my credit card, the amount of the party, and 41.00 on top of that for clerical errors due to the staff. I tried to have this fixed, but I now have to wait 7 days to get my money back on my account. Usually that would not be a problem, but in this case I used what was left on a debit card for an account I was closing. Now I will have to deal with overdraft charges, and did the nice people at Ramada care that they screwed up. NO!!!!! Please remember cash because it sounds like this happens often.

• Liked — The water park since I have a child
  • Disliked — Being overcharged, and the staff not caring
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sturgis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

Worst hotel we have stayed in, in a very long time. Dirty carpet,musty smokey rooms ,and a mildew smell was what greeted us upon entering our room. I asked for a nonsmoking room upon check -in. When I called the front desk about the stinky smells he (Daren) said he couldn't help it if the previous guest smoked in the room. I told him not only the smoke smell, but the over all room was stinky. He was short with me and I then asked for a different room.He took my husband to look at 2 different rooms and one of them had another guest in it when he opened the door!!! The next room was a little better, not as smokey but when I went into the bathroom there was dirty water coming up from the sink...weird.

My husband went out to our car and met a man who was complaining that his son got locked in the bathroom and after 10 min. housekeeping still had not arrived to help. He called down to the front desk and told them he was going to break the door down if someone didn't get his son out. They told him, if he broke the door down they would call the police.

This hotel does have a small waterpark that was filled to the brim with kids having fun. We didn't try the waterpark so, I can't comment on that.

This hotel is tired and worn out. The pictures on the website are not from the hotel we stayed at.

We did have dinner at the hotel and it was just ok. When we left the next morning(not fast enough) There was trash all over the paking lot. papers , beer can, bottles.

All in all. I would never stay here again. There is a Hampton Inn right next door, that looks very nice. Happy Trails

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brier, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

From the pictures online it looked like this hotel was newly remodeled and nice. But the disappointment started at checkin at 1:30am, when the desk clerk told me that our room rate did not include the waterpark and it would be an additional $20/day for the 4 of us to swim! I stated that the rate I paid through Expedia ($82/nt) was $7 more/nt than they had listed on their website, so how could it not cover swimming, plus there was no mention on their website, the corporate Ramada site or the Expedia site that the waterpark was not included? She said that I should talk to the manager - that she was just doing as she was told.

Next, we entered the room to find that our "Non Smoking" room reeked with smoke and mildew. The wallpaper was cut and curling and the floors did not look vacuumed. The advertised pillow-top mattresses were very hard with no pillow-top. And in the morning, we discovered that the drain in the tub/shower was extremely slow so we stood in calf-deep dirty water to shower.

I talked to the manager the following morning and did get swimming passes at no extra charge. However, my son was scraped, cut and bruised after swimming in the waterpark for 3 days. It is clear that they have not safety tested the park or done simple things like round over the edges of the pvc drain covers in the decking.

The rest of our family who also stayed at this hotel (4 different rooms around the hotel) also had similar experiences. So please - stay at another hotel in town and go to the city's public waterpark!

• Liked — Same location as my Grandma's birthday party & easy wireless internet access
  • Disliked — The staff, the room, the pool, the unreplenished breakfast buffet.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cameron
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

Trying to keep it short. ! called the motel direct to make reservations the night before our arrival for 2 nights, 1 room, 2 queen beds, 2 adults, 3 children, and 1 small pet; spoke with 1 person to make the reservation. Questioned about a hot tub and fitness room; Yes they have all that along with the new monkey cove water park, was given the web site to check it all out. Upon check in we found there was 3 rooms total reserved: 1 room and 1 room with an ajoining room. That was taken care of on the spot. Got to our room with 2 full size beds and a safe in the room, We delt with that. The hall ways were in critical need of sweeping which had not been done for several days before or during our stay. The air conditioner worked on high or not at all, we didn't realize that until our 2nd night and figured we would all snuggle, which was a fun story time for all of us. There was no fitness room found by us, the hot tub is being replaced or repaired and has been in the process for several days and will be for several more days, so no hot tub (we were told there was a hot tub - just wasn't told it wasn't usable). The monkey cove water area is really nice and great for the children, they had hours of fun. The spider that was freely using out bathroom was very unwelcome considering it was a brown recluse and a crushed one after it met the shoe. The free breakfast was all around great. The staff was friendly. Upon check out bill was not what we were qupted. Including tax we were overcharged a total of $30.91. That could not be corrected until the next shift takes over later that day. Upon getting home and examining the bill closer we were charged for the safe in the room, which neither of us were told about nor did we use it. We have to wait until tomorrow to find out exactly what our credit card is going to be charged! We have taken all the necessary steps to protect ourselves on that.

• Liked — staff at the free breakfast and the food prepared for the breakfast
  • Disliked — staff inability to properly handle the reservation, incorrect information given and check out inability to get the charges correct and telling me it will be later that day to get it corrected
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ramada St Joseph? Share your experiences!