“(New) La Mesa - Mitchell Ave. Not worth the trip” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #57 of 156 Restaurants in Saint Joseph
Cuisines: Mexican
King City, Missouri, United States
“(New) La Mesa - Mitchell Ave. Not worth the trip”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stopped at the new La Mesa on Mitchell Ave in St. Joseph Saturday, Jan. 19 for lunch. I ordered a Burrito De La Mesa and my fiancee ordered a Chimichanga. Both meals were cold when they arrived. The waitress very cordially discounted my entree on our bill. The manager came to ask what my complaint was and when I told him the meal was cold he assured me all of their hot food was kept at 140 degrees. Possible, but by the time it got to the table it was cold.
We've NEVER had a bad experience at the North Belt location.

South La Mesa no more...

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Saint Joseph, Missouri
“Que sabroso!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I always have the same thing: chile verde with pork and corn tortillas. Brilliant. I tear up the tortillas and scoop up the meat with my fingers to get the full effect. Their iced tea is strong, unsweetened black tea that goes marvelously with their thoroughly respectable food. Can't wait to try their new store going up at Belt & Mitchell!

Visited September 2012
Saint Joseph, Missouri
“The food is just alright... not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

The food at La Mesa was alright but not memorable, at all. The service was fine/good and the restaurant was clean.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Missoula, Montana
“Is all Missouri Mexican this bad?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

A slanted review since we are from Texas.

Pros:
Nice looking place
Ok service

Cons:
Very bland food
Salsa is just the worse
Terrible beans

Visited July 2011
Gladstone
“Used to be good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

I grew up in this town and this was my favorite restaurant until I moved away about 10 years ago. My parents still live in the area and so I am in town a bit each year. I have eaten here twice in the last year and the food and drink have really taken a dive. There used to be a bartender named Julio who made the most amazing margaritas he is gone and with him went the good drink. The salsa is still good as I read in another review as is the queso but is this really how you judge a mexican restaurant? The fajitas were too waterlogged and floppy they didnt have a crisp flavor like they just left the grill. The chips weren't warm like they used to be. I was dissapointed in what I used to think of as the best mexican food.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere