“Nice hotel in great location” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nebraska
“Nice hotel in great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This hotel seemed very new; our room was very clean and spacious. It is near many restaurants and close to the interstate making it very convenient. Overall, I was very happy with our stay and I will stay here again when I'm in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Travis P, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites St Joseph, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
On behalf of the staff and myself I would like to thank you for your kind words. We are more than happy your experience at this hotel was more than satisfactory. We also love the fact we could meet all your needs. We look forward to seeing you next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed in 5 different hotels, 3 of them Candlewoods. This was by far the best of the lot. It was in an easy to find location, very clean, with a very helpful staff. I don't think you'll be disappointed in your stay. Just wish Candlewoods served breakfast!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Travis P, General Manager at Candlewood Suites St Joseph, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
On the behalf of my staff and myself would like to say thank you for your kind words. As an extended stay hotel we take pride in being our guests home away from home. I really love hearing our guests feedback and am overjoyed when we make a positive impact. Customer service is our #1 goal here at the Candlewood Suites St Joseph and with feedback such as yours we can continue our way to being the best.
Sioux City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

This is a nice Candlewood Suites. I was passing through for business. Usually I would have stayed at the Comfort Suites, but they were renovating. I like the layout of the room, but it was only a queen. I also thought the price was high for not having breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
I want to say from everyone here at the Candlewood Suites St Joseph would like to thank you very much for all the kind words. We are overjoyed to know that we were able to make your experience enjoyable. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Upon staying there, I found it was really close to shops, restaurants and the highway. The rooms look like new, the beds are super clean and comfy, bathrooms are modern (I dont like the water softener tho, and have told them for the last two years that it takes me twice the time to rinse clean..makes you feel slimy) but they cant do much about that.
I dont like that the maid only comes in once a week to clean the garbage and make up the bed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
On behalf of the staff and myself we would like to thank you for the wonderful words. We love to hear great feedback and we love to know that we met all your needs. Our goal is to make everyone's experience as amazing as yours.
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed just one night, on a Saturday night after a long day of antique shopping at a large outdoor venue. I had requested a room on the 4th floor, so we could have relative quiet, but it was not available at check-in, so we were given a 3rd floor room which faces a noisy street. The room was quite lovely, but the walls are so thin that as you walk down the hall by each door, you can hear the television or even the people talking inside. Besides the thin walls, the laminate or wood floors increase the noise volume in the entry/kitchen area. There are no ice machines, no pop machines either. They don't have regular daily maid service and the utensils supplied in the kitchen were literally two forks, two spoons, two knives, etc. and a dishwasher is included so you can wash your own dishes. For a long stay, you'd be running the dishwasher every day. No lotion in the bathroom...things you come to expect at hotels whether they are long-stay, suites, etc. (And no, I don't want to have to ask for basics or buy them from their onsite store). We had to call the night desk clerk at 11:30 p.m. as it sounded like an elephant was dancing above us and our light fixtures were even shaking! I don't understand why anyone would build a new hotel and have it be so poorly constructed that you can hear through the walls to the people talking next door or have to listen to their television (which, by the way is placed in an odd area kitty-corner in the room and is small by our standards). When you lie on the bed, you are looking directly at a framed picture. Unfortunately, there is only one slow elevator in the entire hotel. Workers building new hoels nearby stay at this hotel and spend a lot of their time lounging in the lobby. While we were there, it was always filled with the workers.....no room for anyone else on the couches. At a hotel, I don't want to have to make my own ice in the refrigerator/freezer in the room.....who has time for that? We called downstairs and begged for some ice and we received a small bag of it that they got out of a conference room. Overall, it seems that they are cheap and do only the absolute minimum at this otherwise lovely- looking hotel. The front desk gal was not friendly or courteous.....she would get you an extra towel, etc., but she never smiled or was friendly in any way. This hotel is in a nice area with shops and restaurants right by the interstate. It is probably the best hotel one can find in St. Joe, but I will stay elsewhere once the other new hotels are built. Oh, no free breakfast either. It was like staying at someone else's home where the host hadn't prepared for your visit. We had to ask for ice, eat breakfast at a nearby establishment, and wait for the elevator whenever we left to dine, etc. In the morning the staff that do clean rooms of guests who leave were loudly talking in the hall saying, "there's always something with "these people", this room smells like body odor" and they talked unprofessionally about the guests so loudly that I had to open my door and say, "could you hold it down out there?" and they did then hold their nasty tongues. No tip for those maids! We thought this would be a good stay, but instead it was a lesson in what not to do if we ever build a hotel :o) Does it cost extra to hire friendly and courteous staff? How much is a bottle of lotion? A combination shampoo/conditioner of the lowest quality is supplied which I've never seen in a hotel since the '90s! The room we stayed in was a queen but the bed was so short our feet hung over the end (we are both 5'10") and on the recliner as well, we felt like it was built for hobbits. When in the recline position, if you move your feet, the recliner will shut even though you don't want it to. Bathroom shower/tub is small. So sad that this hotel had such potential but they made so many errors in its design and service omissions. A huge desk area is provided which is excessive, (it is like 10 feet long) in my opinion, a table with four chairs is more necessary for eating and then one wouldn't have to stare at the wall when eating. I prefer a free breakfast, courteous and smiling hospitality-trained staff, ice machines on the floor I'm staying on, more than one elevator, good shampoo, conditioner and lotion, thick, quiet walls, more dishes/utensils, quiet and respectful maids in the morning and a lobby that is not occupied by local workers as if it is their own space--don't they have rooms? I've stayed at many other competitive hotels that are older and have everything one expects in a hotel including breakfast, the basics, and basic hospitality too. So sad, as we were hoping this would be our new place to stay in St. Joe, but if you can't get sleep due to the noise, what is the point? If you have to ask for every minor convenience, it is just not worth it to us.

Room Tip: Fourth floor rooms, even numbered, to be away from the street noise. Even if they say they will gi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We are truly sorry for your experience at our hotel. We are sorry to hear you were expecting more of a transient hotel rather than our extended stay hotel. Our #1 goal is to make everyone's stay exceptional from check in to check out. its unacceptable to know we couldn't satisfy your every need. If you are every back in this area we would like to do whatever we can to make it up to you.
Olathe,KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was my second stay at this new hotel---quiet. Nice kitchen area if longer stays. Room is spacious...I stayed in King rm which had long desk work area and a sitting chair.. did not feel crowded at all.You are within 5 minutes of numerous dining options and some shopping. Will return here when again in the St. Jospeh area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
We would like to take time out and say thanks for these kinds words. We would also like to say thanks for the loyalty to us. Our #1 priority is our customer service and we are pleased to hear we have taken care of you. We hope to make our hotel your home away from home.
Franklin, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed for just one night, but this hotel is one of the nicest we've stayed in... it could have been our home for a week and we would have enjoyed it. Brand new... the room was well equipped and very comfortable - even had a reclining chair!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Travis P, General Manager at Candlewood Suites St Joseph, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
ecfackler,

On behalf of the staff and myself I would like to thank you for your comments. As an extended stay hotel we take pride in being our guests home away from home. We also want to make our short term stays feel just as comfortable. I really love hearing our guests feedback and am overjoyed when we make a positive impact. Customer service is our #1 goal here at the Candlewood Suites St Joseph and with feedback such as yours we can continue our way to being the best.

Thanks again,

Travis Perkins

Been to Candlewood Suites St Joseph? Share your experiences!