“St. Joe art museum is a great visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 25 Attractions in Saint Joseph
Type: Art Museums, Museums
Omaha NE
83 attraction reviews
“St. Joe art museum is a great visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I’ve never considered myself a fan of the classics when it comes to art. I’ve preferred visiting living history museums rather than museums loaded with paintings and the like.

I’m not sure why I continue saying that, because each time I go to a museum with classical and modern art pieces, I find myself impressed and amazed with the talent. So, I guess I have to stop saying that.

Especially after enjoying our visit to the Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art in St. Joseph. The museum has more than 3,000 pieces on display.

The museum focuses on American art from the 18th century through today. The pieces feature artwork involving oils, as well as pencil. Sculptures tend to focus on the western stories.

One of my favorite pieces at the Albrecht-Kemper was Lago di Como. The 1995 piece by Ken Moylan used Masonite, wood veneers, oil paints and modeling paste to create an almost lifelike view out of an Italian chateau.

The main gallery features oil paintings of significant American figures from the 18th century, including George Washington and John Law.

A painting featuring a Native American with pilgrims was impressive to view.

A break from classic artwork shows a painted cow that was part of a community project.

I was super impressed with artwork based on pencil drawings. The drawings looked lifelike. They almost resembled photographs.

I liked the angle of a sculpture of a runaway horse in front of a painting of Native Americans.

The museum had two special exhibits during our visit.

The first features modern African-American paintings. “Naturally Human” by Kwanzaa Humphrey highlights people in natural acts via colorful paintings. One of my favorite was an older man holding a lit cigarette between his fingers. It looked real. Photos were not allowed in the exhibit.

Humphrey is a Kansas City-based artist, who studied at Missouri Western State University in St. Joseph.

The second display focused on quilts. “Pattern: Repeat” features quilts designed by artists Tula Pink and Luke Haynes.

Pink, a graduate from the Otis School of Art and Design in Los Angeles, is recognized her work with fabrics and textiles.

Haynes is an LA-based designer, who seeks to educate people through utility objects.

The Albrecht-Kemper museum is located in the former William Albrecht mansion.

The museum grounds are as well decorated as the art collections.

A small waterfall highlights a landscape feature.

The entrance to the museum features a fountain, bordered by landscape.

After enjoying our visit to the Albrecht-Kemper, I will officially stop saying I do not care for classic art. I am now an art fan. It really is pretty neat to think about how old some of our art is, and amazed at how it continues to survive.

I recommend visiting the Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art when in St. Joe. You won’t be disappointed. You can probably spend 1-3 hours there.

Visited July 2014

Atlanta, GA
15 attraction reviews
“Enjoyable for folks aged 10-50”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

My 10-yr old niece and I met one of her friends and that girl's mom and took in everything, including the gift shop. We were disappointed that the cafe was not open, even for grab and go food items. The museum was quiet, not a lot of traffic, but we liked it that way. I would go again for sure, maybe on a day the cafe is open next time.

Visited May 2014
Washington, DC
13 attraction reviews
“Amazing Art in the American heartland (St. Joseph, Missouri)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Finding beauty in your hometown is always fun, and for me to enter the Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art for the first time in 2013 was amazing. I was born in St. Joe and my father's government career took us across the US. I continued travelling/living internationally in Latin America, Euorpe, and Asia. Last year, while home in St. Joe, we visited the Albright-Kemper for the fist time! Although I am not an art expert, I was amazed by the collection and felt as if I were in a space that provided an experience that approximates some of the other great art museums in Paris, Washington, London, etc.

I recommend other travelers to STRETCH out to find some less well known gems!

Visited May 2013
Saint Joseph, Missouri
12 attraction reviews
“NOT TO BE MISSED!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

There are art museums and then there are ART MUSEUMS. The Albrecht-Kemper is simply wonderful. Any trip to Saint Joseph should have this museum high on the list of priorities. Don't miss the Stuart paintings... and always a nice travelling exhibit. Mid week they serve a wonderful luncheon.

Visited June 2013
La Vernia, Texas
48 attraction reviews
“Art museum”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Nice art museum with place to hold special events and functions. The staff does a nice job. They do serve liquor which is nice addition to enjoying the artwork.