“A Midwinter Night's Dream” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Joseph
Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast
You added Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
809 Hall Street, Saint Joseph, MO 64501   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Saint Joseph B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
“A Midwinter Night's Dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

I could tell by just looking through the parlor window as we came up the driveway that this house would be special. We were warmly greeted on our arrival, by Isabelle, who obviously loves her job. She gave us a brief history of the Chateau beginning in the beautiful foyer which was paneled in cherry, with intricately carved wood work.

Each room was charming in its Victorian decor, and themed (ours was Twelfth Night -- the shower was fabulous and the bed was plush, but firm). Original stained glass windows (over 40 in all) graced each room of the house.

A fully equipped kitchen enabled us to continue our journey after a delicious breakfast. The proprietress graciously accommodated dietary restrictions.

Shakespeare Chateau was an attraction to lure us off our usual I-70 or I-80 route to Colorado. It looks like a tradition has been started! The Chateau's high ratings are well deserved.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
I was delighted to meet Barry and his wife on their journey to Colorado, and to offer them mid-trip accommodations and a recommendation to eat at one of my favorite local eateries, The Bad Art Bistro. I'm so happy to hear that the stay at the Shakespeare Chateau was enjoyable from start to finish. I look forward to hosting you (maybe in the Romeo & Juliet Suite next time?) on a return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Elkhorn, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Shakespeare Chateau on a Friday evening in December. I don't know how we stumbled upon this lovely bed and breakfast, but I am so happy we did. We stayed in the Romeo & Juliet room and from the moment we arrived we knew we were somewhere very special. The owner of the property (Isobel) was incredibly welcoming and made us feel right at home. She gave us a tour and took her time explaining the rich history of the house and went into detail about the many renovations she has done to preserve the home. From her recommendations of places to go in St. Joe to her delicious breakfast made especially for us, we enjoyed every moment of our stay. I especially appreciated that she asked us about dietary restrictions when we arrived -- we are vegetarians and thought it was very thoughtful of her to accommodate us. You can tell she has a passion for this house and for making sure her guests are treated like family. Thanks again, and we hope to be able to visit again in the future!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
I'm so happy you found me, and that you enjoyed your stay at the Shakespeare Chateau. I love recommending the other businesses in Saint Joseph - The Bad Art Bistro, Piatto 614, Mod Podge, The Lucky Tiger, The Gothic House, The J.C.Wyatt House, and more - and am so pleased that you had a good time here in our town. Thank you for posting your review - my guests tell me again and again that they "found me on TripAdvisor" and reviews like yours help me get the word out. I hope you'll come back and stay with me again soon!
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We were only in town for one night and I wish we could have extended our stay. The Romeo and Juliet room was beautiful and comfortable. I have stayed at many bed and breakfasts over the years and Shakespeare Chateau by far exceeded my expectations. Isabelle was a wonderful hostess...very knowledgeable about the history of the house and area and eager to provide whatever we needed while we were there. We look forward to an opportunity to stay at the Chateau again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Travelers like yourselves from around the MidWest - Omaha, Des Moines, Topeka, Kansas City, and more - find the Shakespeare Chateau to be a beautiful and relaxing opportunity to take some time away. I'm always delighted to meet people who have never been to Saint Joseph before, and have the chance to introduce this wonderful town. I hope you'll come back to stay again soon!
Maryville, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

My husband wasn't to keen on staying at a bed and breakfast but now he is telling people about Shakespeare Chateau for a getaway.When we arrived Isobel was there to greet us and give us a tour. The pride and work she has put into restoring the mansion is amazing.We stayed two nights. The first night it was just my husband and I, very nice romantic atmosphere. The second night our 9yr old daughter joined us.She had a great time exploring and is still talking about the stories Isobel told her about the mansion. From the delicious breakfast to the beautiful rooms and gracious host we truly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
I always enjoy showing children around the Shakespeare Chateau, and they always respond so well to the fabulous architecture and interior. Through stories and answers to questions, I hope to engage more young people to learn about the history of this mansion, of the historic Hall Street District, and of Saint Joseph. The future of our historic heritage is in their hands.
Morro Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

From the grand house to the lovely hostess our stay was a pleasure. Beds were great and decor sumptuous. Fun interaction with hostess and guests created a festive air. We will go again if anywhere close to the area. Also loved the history of the house as well as the town of St. Joseph.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
My mission here at the Shakespeare Chateau is to re-introduce this fabulous mansion home to the public. Although it was closed for over a decade, I'm thrilled to have successfully re-opened this jewel as a luxury bed-and-breakfast, event venue, wedding mansion, and tour home. Check our website for specials and offers, then give me a call to make your reservation!
Dayton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The workmanship in this place defies the imagination. The woodwork, done in the 1800's is something to behold. If you get an opportunity dont skip the Shakespeare Chateau, probably the best built home I have ever been in. The service was excellent.

Room Tip: Get the Romeo and Juliet room..
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
The Shakespeare Chateau is, indeed, one of the finest mansions standing - a true American treasure! I am proud to have the opportunity to be custodian of this house, and to give people a chance to visit. Thank you for staying with us!
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed at the Shakespeare Chateau in October 2013. We really enjoyed our stay. Usually my wife is more interested in bed and breakfast places than me. But, this place was great. I have been recommending it to my friends and would like to visit again myself. Every detail of the experience was perfect. The owner is providing a wonderful service by sharing her mansion, history, and food.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
I am so pleased to hear from guests like Bill, guests who are pleasantly surprised with their visit to the Shakespeare Chateau. We offer exceptional service and comfort to our overnight guests, as well as superb event hosting for weddings, dinners, company parties, business meetings, baby or wedding showers, and more. Call me today to book your weekend away or celebratory gathering!

Been to Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!