“Best Experience Ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Joseph
Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast
You added Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
809 Hall Street, Saint Joseph, MO 64501   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Saint Joseph B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Best Experience Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed at The Shakespeare Chateau this weekend. The architecture in this mansion is incredible. The foyer is fascinating and you have to keep looking to find all the hidden treasures in this room. From Shakespeare face on the fireplace, to the dragons on the staircase and the 47 stained glass windows this place is awesome. It’s like eye candy and you can’t stop looking. My favorite pieces are the long stained glass windows on the floor with the bedrooms. The stained glass windows of night and day. I sat on the fainting couch and admired the sun shining through these windows. It was so serene! We stayed in the Romeo and Juliet room. This room is huge with a jacuzzi in it and another room attached. I loved the jacuzzi and so did my granddaughter. Waking up to the sun shining in the stained glass windows in the room was warming and our breakfast was delicious. Isobel showed us around and was very knowledgeable of the history of the mansion and attractions around town. We thank you Isobel for the best hospitality ever! Kevin, LuAnn & Brooklyn

Room Tip: The Romeo and Juliet room is the best, but the other rooms are just as inviting and beautiful!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Thank you, LuAnn and Kevin, for visiting Saint Joseph and the Shakespeare Chateau! And thanks for bringing that dear little Brookie along, too! I had a great time showing you around. Hope you can visit again soon, maybe for a hunting trip!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Choctaw, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

When you first walk in into the foyer, you're immediately in awe of the beautiful cherry wood and ceramic fireplace. The twin dragons on the stairwell are phenomenal. The entire house is nothing short of amazing!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thanks for visiting the mansion here in St. Joseph, Missouri. I hope you'll tell your friends and family about us. Check our website for great special deals, too!
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I drove past the Shakespeare Chateau by chance on a recent visit to St. Joseph and promptly planned a surprise getaway for my family with a one-night stay at the Chateau. The moment I walked into the foyer, my jaw dropped. The completeness of its richly decorated interiors from 1885 is just amazing: the elaborately carved wood everywhere, stained glass windows everywhere you look, the expensive tile. We stayed in the Romeo and Juliet Suite, which was nicely appointed with a modern whirlpool spa built elegantly right into the bedroom (with wood columns copying the Victorian details of the room). The fireplace and surrounds appeared original. All the furniture itself is worthy of a museum. Innkeeper Isobel immediately gave us a tour of the mansion upon our arrival. She also accommodated our vegetarian diet with a very delicious breakfast the next morning and took the time to talk to us while we ate. I just wish I could have left our 15-month-old son at home so I could have spent more time with Isobel. I will be back soon!

Room Tip: Romeo and Juliet Suite was excellent to enjoy some quiet time watching a movie while our son was sle...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
I really enjoyed hosting you and your family, Slavik! You were very knowledgeable about many of the historic details about the house. I hope that we'll have a chance to meet again and maybe work together as service providers for weddings.
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The reviews listed here are so true to the character of this Grand home and It's keeper! If you are a lover of History, fine Architecture and detail this is a must see. Our room was beautiful and breakfast was delish! Looking forward to seeing Ms.Isobel again and seeing the progress of this Mansion and grounds. We enjoyed our stay very much. Will most certainly be visiting again!

Room Tip: We stayed in The Verona... Very nice!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you, Shannon, for the great review! I certainly enjoyed meeting and hosting you. I hope you'll visit again soon at the Shakespeare Chateau, just one of the great "Gilded Age" mansions here in the Hall Street Historic District!
Saint Joseph, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed the night here for her birthday and we had a great time. The innkeeper Isobel gave us a detailed tour of the home and told us the history of it and the surrounding area. All of the suites were large, private & well decorated. Breakfast was very delicious. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks, Derek! We love hosting folks from right here in the St. Joseph Missouri area, and we hope you'll visit the Shakespeare Chateau and the Hall Street Historic District again soon!
Kearney, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed in the Twelfth Night room. The new shower has three body sprays and is beautifully tiled. I’ve never seen one like it. We have stayed in the Chateau several times and it is always so exciting to see the progress Isabel has made on the rest of the house. I can't wait to go for a stroll out back when it is done this summer! Well Done!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
It was great to see you and your daughter at the Shakespeare Chateau again. I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to seeing you back again soon!
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

What a beautiful place. The renovation is very impressive and our suite was spacious and perfect for a weekend away from the city. The service knew every last inch of the place and was full of interesting information if asked, but still respected our privacy enough to leave us to our own devices for the majority of the visit. Get here soon while it's still relatively unknown, or wait months to book here. This place is going to be BIG in the bed and breakfast circles.

Room Tip: The Verona is the one you want. Although all the rooms are well appointed.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much, Staci! I strive to strike the right balance between privacy for my guests, and providing information and services that will make their stay more comfortable and enjoyable. I'm delighted to hear that it turned out just right for you. I hope you'll come back and stay with us again soon. Check out our "Sweetheart Package" deal running right now through the end of May. Perfect for a birthday, anniversary, or just to say "I Love You!"

Been to Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!