“Average, at best.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 16 Restaurants in Saint James
Cuisines: Mexican
“Average, at best.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Food, Service and Quality is average, at best. Nothing was really bad, but nothing to brag about. Pretty bland food, not what I am used to for Mexican. We may eat here again, but not on the top of our list.

Palo Alto, California, United States
“Yummy Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Great service, food and price. Being from the Bay Area, California we are used to really good Mexican food restaurants and this was great! Enchiladas and Carne Asada Burrito special were great. Chips were fresh, salsa was the only thing that was just ok. This restaurant was refreshing after way too many "country buffets" around here. Some reviews are complaining about the atmosphere. Not sure why. Murals were lovely. We would go here often if we lived around here.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Charles, Missouri
“Typical Midwestern Mexican Fare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have eaten here a few times. This is very typical of the hundreds of Mexican places that have appeared over the past few years, all with different names but surprisingly similar menus. Don't get me wrong, I happen to like these restaurants, so we go to quite a few. It seems the only thing that distinguishes these places are the chips and salsa. La Cabana is in an old family restaurant building, so some of the wildlife murals on the walls are left over from that. Not Mexican themed, but I see why they kept them, as they were very well done and I would find it hard to paint over them. The beef in all these type restuarants needs more spice in my opinion, and this one is no different. I use the salsa very generously on anything I order. Everything here is "typical" of these type restaurants. Nothing too awesome, but nothing bad. Just a good place to get my Mexican food fix. The service is good and the food comes out fast.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Carlisle, Ohio
“Save your money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We ate at La Cabana because it was the only restaurant close to our hotel that sounded appetizing. We went there with our three kids. On first entering the restaurant, the lights are super bright, and the walls are super white. The atmosphere is the furthest thing from feeling like a Mexican restaurant. The menu looked promising, but once the food came out, we thought otherwise. The hamburger was grey and mush in my daughter's taco salad and the chorizo was tasteless in my husband's burrito. Our kids barely touched their food, and even my husband left over half of his burrito. We paid $50 for our entire meal, where we would have been better off getting value meals from McDonald's. We do not recommend this restaurant for the food or atmosphere. The manager was very friendly and welcoming and seemed to know everyone that walked in the door. They really need to rethink their food and atmoshphere, and maybe they can turn that place around.

• Visited June 2012