“A little different menu for a nice change with good food & a great atmosphere right on the sidewalk of downtown St Charles.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Magpie's Restaurant

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 225 Restaurants in Saint Charles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Adorable little sidewalk cafe w/seating both indoors & out.
A great menu w/a variety of salads, soups, quiche & sandwiches a little different than the same boring menu often found in the typical tearoom atmosphere.
The salads were great, but the sandwiches were just ok, notnecessarily memorable.
Service was ok, the waitress seemed a little stressed & irritated.
We were encouraged to leave when visiting b/c seating inside was not as plentiful & it was hot outside.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

“Summer lunch on patio...terrific!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

We stopped for lunch on a perfect summer day .The patio was charming but would probably not be as much fun either indoors or in nasty weather. Hubbie had Chef salad, Potato soup and spinich salad for me. Everything was fresh and done with a twist...loved the chives and bacon in the soup. We certainly had more than enough to eat! Service was fine even tho it appeared that they were short staffed.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great relaxing lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

A perfect day to sit on the patio. I had the baked Brie and it was a generous portion with fruit and French bread. My husband had 1/2 a sandwich and a salad. Make sure you save room for dessert because what we was and had was outstanding

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Collingswood, New Jersey
“Cute Outdoor seating, So-So fare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I really love how charming St. Charles main street is, and although not disappointed by Magpies, I would certainly not return for a second visit. I found the food to be bland and forgettable, but I enjoyed dining outdoors on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Lunch for our foursome consisted of soup, sandwiches and salads, each of us choosing a combo. I had the portobella mushroom 1/2 sammy with salad, and there was virtually no flavor on the sandwich, nor was it properly salted/peppered. I did like the salad, but it is summer, and it's hard to go wrong with summer veggies and vinaigrette.

Two of our friends got the potato soup, which was considered a favorite here. I tried it, and thought the roux tasted too much like uncooked flour, which distracted me from the overall seasoning of the soup. A few twitches to the menu and I think Magpies would be a cafe worth noting.

I did think the service was decent, as well as the prices. I had just been hoping that the food be as charming as the ambiance.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“I LOVE this place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great food and great atmosphere! We try to get there at least once per month. Don't forget to save room for dessert. The strawberry crepes are AWESOME!

Visited June 2013