“Great Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Saint Charles
Minnesota
“Great Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the St. Charles Embassy Suites. This is a top notch hotel. We have stayed at many Embassy Suites and this is one of the best. The hotel is 3 years old. The hotel is featured on the front cover of the 2009 Embassy Suites Directory. The decor throughout the hotel is very attractive. The front desk was fine, perhaps a bit too professional. The breakfast staff made standing in line for the cooked to order entrees worth the wait. They made it actually fun to stand in line and they made sure to talk to all of the children in line. The breakfast was superb. Different pancake options were offered that we have not seen at other Embassy's. The wait staff in the dining room where attentive and very polite. We stayed and visited with friends each day and we never felt rushed out. The Manager's Reception was typical Embassy Suite style, however our friends arrived at 7:32 and the staff had already shut down the bar and removed the snacks. (Although the popcorn machine was still 1/2 full of popcorn)

The room was smaller than typical Embassy's. There was no extra sink in the bedroom nor a breakfast table in the living area. There was a desk instead of a table with a desk chair and 2 table chairs. However, the room was much larger than the St. Louis Airport location. The room was VERY clean and it was obvious that the maid staff had cleaned up after our messes. We enjoyed the swan shaped hand clothes in the bathroom. The shampoos etc. were replenished each day. There were two previous reviews that referred to bed bugs. This greatly concerned us. I called the manager directly and asked. The manager denied the reports and assured me that there had been no such thing. We had booked 3 rooms and each room was bed bug free and very clean. The pool area was clean and well stocked with towels. The excercise room was very nice with more machines than typically seen in a small excercise room. This a great hotel with not a terribly long drive to the sights. We enjoyed the nice selection of nearby restaurants.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

My husband, 7 year old daughter and I stayed at the Embassy Suites St. Charles for one night to break up a long trip to Tennessee. We had a nice stay. We had just stayed at the new Murfreesboro, Tennessee property which made this property seem a little dated. The best part here was the saltwater pool. The room was nice especially since our daughter had her own area with a door that closed between the two rooms. Breakfast was good but we had to wait in line which you really can't complain about because it's "free". The common areas did not seem very clean - there was quite a bit of debris on the hallway floors which I found odd. One other note, there isn't much in St. Charles at all. It is not a destination at all. The hotel is on the side of highway 70 and there's little if anything around it other than the casino. Granted, you are very close to St. Louis but be warned that there's not much else!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
just outside of St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

I stayed here with some girlfriends for a bachelorette party. The rooms are very spacious, we had the corner room which I would recommend for anyone wanting a little extra space. There were 2 full beds and a pull out couch and still tons of room for all of our clothes and girly stuff. Would be great if you had kids that needed some space to move around. Plus our room didn't face the highway and didn't have an internal window to face the lobby so it was pretty quiet too. I have also stayed here once before with my husband and we also had a good experience too. When we stayed we had a room with a window that faced the highway and the inside window faced the lobby so it got a little noisy at times.
The breakfast is unbeatable and the managers reception has just about any well drink you'd expect for free. We have stayed at other hotels with managers receptions but Embassy's is much better than all the rest!
The beds were comfortable, the rooms clean and the staff extremely helpful, even offering suggestions on places to eat (which we already knew about because we live in the area) They didn't just give us the "chain" restaraunts, they told us about all the good places! They also have a shuttle that will take you and pick you anywhere in 2 miles, which there is quite alot to do for the evening in 2 miles--casino, main street, bass pro, restaraunts, etc.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Southsea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

I was booked to stay at the Embassy Suites by the company I was visiting in St Louis and, having stayed in Embassy Suites in other locations, my expectations were high and this hotel exceeded them. The hotel itself is all-suite and furnished to a high and comfortable standard. The manager's reception and complimentary breakfast were both generous in quantity and very high in quality. The hotel runs a free shuttle bus for local journeys. The on site Spa was a relaxing retreat after a long days work and the restaurant served a good meal at a reasonable price. However, I was most impressed by the exceptional hospitality and service I received from the staff. My luggage and I parted company just before I arrived and the Front Desk could not have done more to help me. From providing essential toiletries, chasing the airline, and taking receipt of my bag in my absence, they were fantastic. My only regret was that I wasn't able to stay longer.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

We checked in at the Embassy Suites, St. Louis-St. Charles Hotel and Spa around 6PM on Wednesday, November 26, 2008. Upon checking in, we dropped our bags in the living room area of the suite and headed for dinner. Immediately after dinner we changed into our swim suits and headed to the pool with our children. It was approaching 9PM so we headed back to our room. A few months ago I had seen a special on TV regarding bedbugs in a person's home and how the New York hotels were having difficulties with this pest. I thought it would be prudent to look at the beds in the hotel room, not anticipating to see anything as the TV show mentioned how difficult it was to spot bedbugs.

I turned on the light on the stand between the beds and immediately saw what looked like a trail of brown/black dots leading to the crease of the bed skirt. Taking an even closer look I could see more trails and to my horror, actual BEDBUGS of all sizes. I immediately called to my wife not come in the bedroom and to start packing. I went to the manager to have him come to the room. With him in the room I had him confirm that these were bedbugs. Keep in mind we had not touched a mattress, sheet, anything. The bedbugs were out in the open. I lifted the bed skirt and dozens of tiny bedbugs went scurrying and there were many, many other trails around the sides of the box springs. Then we looked at the second bed and it was in the same terrible condition.

The manager apologized and wanted to switch us to another room. I informed him we would not be staying in this hotel at all as it was apparent the room was severely infested. He wanted to put us up at another hotel but my wife and I agreed we would not be able to sleep in any hotel after this episode. We informed the family in the adjacent room what we had found and we decided to drive through the night to our Thanksgiving destination.

We have altered our upcoming travel plans to avoid Embassy Suites and now call hotels in advance to see what their implemented bedbug detection and preventions procedures are. Some are being very proactive while others are not. We have reduced our hotels stays to bare necessities while traveling. We have stayed at one other hotel since the St. Charles incident and we scoured the bed and surrounding area in great detail. We will be doing this for some time as this incident has greatly affected us in a negative way and changed the way we travel.

• Liked — Two-room Suites
  • Disliked — Bedbugs
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Staunton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

I took my wife here for our anniversary. I notified the hotel of the significance of our stay and we were greeted with an in-room welcome/congratulatory basket with snacks, goodies, and gift certificates. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable. In fact we liked every aspect of the room. The cooked to order breakfast was delicious and the managers reception was a nice touch. In fact, these last two items make the price more comparable to a 1 or 2 star hotel. Not that the price was that much to begin with. The food at the restaurant was delicious as well. In all our dealings with the staff, all were very courteous, attentive to needs, and eager to serve. Overall it was a wonderful stay. The spa was quite enjoyable as well and I would definitely recommend their services. Although it is relatively new, it is still clean and well maintained (as it should be for it's age). Convention center is attached. I suppose this could be a negative for anyone staying here while a large convention or event is going on, but besides getting a little busy during the managers reception due to a wedding party, we noticed no problems during our stay. Shopping at historic Main St., Casino, and major fishing/sporting goods store close by. I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel.

• Liked — Atmosphere, dining, size of the rooms, cleanliness, staff
  • Disliked — dessert delivered via room service late night was not at all good...no cake, all frosting.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

This IS the best U.S. Embassy Suites I've ever stayed at. It's fairly new and quite similar to the one in ABQ. It has a legitimate "spa" which is not typical of ES. Ten of us worked out of the Embassy Suites Sept. 29-Oct. 3 and everything, yes everything, was above average. Here are the scores: Hotel staff/service=A; Business center=A (no charges!) Room=A (new/fresh/roomy); Complimentary morning breakfast=A; Complimentary happy hour=A; Housekeeping=B (be sure to call if you need your room cleaned by specific time); Parking=C (Difficult to get parking near front door. Bulk of the parking is behind hotel and shared w/convention center.) To top it off, I left some items in my room and when I called the next day, they had the items and FedEx'd them to me overnight. Also, I had some unusual billing requirements and working w/Wendy on the phone, everything was straightened out and I got my HHonors points. Easy access to I-70, 15-20 mins to STL airport; 45 mins to the Arch. Other than the airport Rennaissance, this has got to be one of the best places to stay on west side of St. Louis.

• Liked — The fact that it lives up to it's title of "The Best Embassy Suites"
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel St. Louis/St. Charles? Share your experiences!