“Slow down & enjoy the evening with a great storyteller!!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Tours
Attraction Details
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 attraction reviews
“Slow down & enjoy the evening with a great storyteller!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My families experience with Mike & his Spirits:
Let me start from the beginning...My husband & I needed a evening activity to occupy 2 very depressed teens. Our 15 year old daughters (twins) were upset about not being able to attend "the party of the year" that a classmate was having for her 16th birthday. There were rumors of alcohol & marijuana being at the party. My girls did not want to put themselves in a position of getting in trouble so they passed on attending & were honest about it with us. This prompted a search, by myself, for a fun activity for my family that would be suitable for the girls and their 9 year old sister. We wanted to reward them for their wise choice & keep them occupied during the party night, so that they wouldn't be depressed about missing it.
Well, if anyone has tried to find something fun to do, on a Saturday NIGHT with teens/tweens, you know the choices are slim. A movie, City museum, Dave & Busters...that is it. Well, be SURE to add ST. Charles Ghost Tours to that list!!! This was an unique, fun, AND, wait for it....EDUCATIONAL activity that made everyone in the family happy!!

RESERVATIONS/ARRANGEMENTS:
Very easy to plan. One phone call, answered on the first attempt. Courteous & informative, the owner answered all of my questions as did the website after reading each section. (previous negative reviewers: if you READ the information on the website, EVERYTHING is explained. There are no surprises or misinformation. Take the time to PLAN your event, by actually READING the website & you will know what to expect.) Gave my credit card # over the phone to hold my reservation, but paid cash upon arrival. The only thing I would change on the website is the recommendation that the tour be attended by those age 14 and up. In my honest opinion, this tour is suitable for ages 10 & up. While, possibly being a tad boring at times for the younger ones, if you remind them to listen carefully to the stories, they will find it interesting. As far as the scare factor, it is not very scary. The streets are dimly lit & the guide keeps it light & even funny. There is an occasional mention of prostitution/bordello's, as this is part of the historical story of several of the buildings. (The other thing I would change: I would put a bold, cap sentence telling possible attendees to READ the entire website BEFORE booking their tour! Sorry if I seem aggravated, but the stupid negative complaints from previous reviewers caused me to almost not book this tour! I would have truly MISSED OUT if I hadn't booked it. )
THE GUIDE:
Michael Henry has been ghost hunting for more than 30 years. He has been a professor, teacher, historical researcher, has several degrees & has traveled the world. He is born & raised in the Midwest & has apparently been in the St. Charles area since he was a child. He is the author of the book, Ghosts Of St. Charles. (You can purchase his book for $20 and he will autograph it for you) He definitely fits the part, with white hair & beard, pointy eyebrows, interesting voice & slightly unsteady gait. He has a sense of humor & obvious love of history & architecture.
THE TOUR:
The tour is suppose to last 90 minutes to 2 hours. We were part of a group of eleven. About halfway through the tour, he told us he was running behind & ask if we wanted to speed things up. As we were all thoroughly enjoying the tour, we all agreed there was no rush. If you are the type of person who likes to rush through life, this tour may not be for you. You have to be willing to slow down, open your senses & appreciate a leisurely night of strolling, storytelling & imagining. You need to set yourself up to imagine what is was like to be walking those streets back in the days of their creation...or, what it IS like to be a lingering energy inhabiting the area, many years after your physical being has left this world....Maawaaaahaaahaaa {scary laugh}
The tour is a well documented historical AND paranormal tour of the Historic District in St. Charles, MO. Will you see a ghost? No, you probably won't. Will you gain valuable information about the history of sightings, myths, and paranormal experiences of the area? Yes, most definitely. The guide will bring several ghost hunting tools, i.e. E.M.F. detectors, that he will let the group take turns using. We did get some readings in several spots & this was VERY COOL!! Bring a good camera, as the guide will give you instructions as to how to try & catch a paranormal image or orbs. A phone camera is not adequate & he explains why. I have not gotten the chance to examine my images yet. If I find something interesting I will update this review.
The area of the tour, St. Charles Main Street, is an area that I frequent often. I shop the quaint shops, attend the festivals and have hit the bar scene on occasion. I work in the casino just a few blocks away. The information I received on this tour was amazing. I only wish I had done it a long time ago. I will carry it with me from now on, looking at Main Street & its buildings in a completely enhanced light!! If you are a regular on Main Street, this tour is a must, if you enjoy & appreciate knowing the history of the area you have frequented for years. If you are visiting our area, it really will add a lot to your experience & appreciation of our quaint little historical area!!
The tour lasted over 2 hours & we definitely feel like we got our money's worth. It was a beautiful night & a waning moon. My kids didn't think about the "party of the year" that they missed & really enjoyed their evening. They even said to me, "Mom, you really know how to pick fun things to do." Now, if you know teenagers at all, you know how AMAZING that statement is!!! And, it speaks volumes about this tour.
Slow down for an evening. Grab some dinner at one of the restaurants on Main Street. Have a cocktail, loosen up, open your senses & go on this tour. Stroll leisurely, listen to the history, enjoy the night air...or go home & flip channels after dinner. Think about it.

Visited August 2013

Ofallon
“Very Hokey Storytelling”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Basically. this supposed ghost tour is nothing more than a historical background of the area.
The host tries to invoke spiritual "happenings" into a rather boring st`orytelling that is more befit
for scouting campfire "stories".
You dont enter any buildings or see any graveyards; only a place where a graveyard used to be.
It's strictly a walking tour where the darkness of night (lit up by the raucous bars) combined
with pretty fair STORYTELLING, is supposed to awaken your imagination skills into believing
that this is a REAL GHOST TOUR! Get serious, nothing more than a historical account flavored
with archaic storytelling skills. You will not be impressed unless you are very easily duped!

Visited July 2013
wizardonmain, Owner at St Charles Ghost Tours, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
It seems that this person has watched too many of the “ghost hunter” shows on TV. We do not try to “invoke” anything, this is a REAL ghost tour, and I guess that is the problem.

To be accurate, the tour is limited to public areas; it would be pretty impolite to simply .walk into someone’s business, interrupt them and not buy anything. We do visit two graveyards, and thankfully they have been cleaned up. You will be impressed if you are not looking to see people in bad makeup jumping from behind bushes, or actors with technical equipment they do not understand.

It should be understood, ghost stories are always stories. The history is essential. We find that intelligent adults always enjoy our experience.
Saint Charles, Missouri
7 attraction reviews
“Very informative.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Very interesting tour that not only had some great stories on the history of St. Charles but also gave background information on a lot of the buildings as well. Well worth it.

Visited October 2012
O'Fallon, Missouri, United States
“Rude Response”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Contacted the email address on the site.......asked 3 questions and the response was that it was to many questions and to check the website. My response was to remove the email address from the site, it was not of much use. He prefers "personal contact"...and answers are on the website.......again remove the email address........will not be including this in the company's picnic plans!!

Visited May 2013
wizardonmain, Owner at St Charles Ghost Tours, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Wow! I guess "personal attention" is too much for some people. I always make every effort to meet my clients Personal needs.

Here is a copy of the Email I sent, answering the questions. I don't see the "rude" here. Correct me if I am wrong...

****
I prefer personal contact. eMail and texting leads to errors.
Besides, all of your questions are answered on the website.

In any case, tour runs 1-1/2 to 2 hours long, walk is a little less than 1 mile and is set up for people with limited mobility.
Tours run every Friday and Saturday at 7:00, 9:30 and Midnight, depending on demand.
Cost is $20 per person.
Tours are by reservation - you must call, no reservations can be made over the internet (for your protection)
****

Perhaps this review was posted before my eMail was received. As you can see, I answered every question - Politely.

Go to TripAdvisor | Unsubscribe | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Please do not reply directly to this
Indiana
19 attraction reviews
“A must if in St. Charles!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Me and a group of friends did this tour not knowing what to expect. I enjoyed hearing the history of the town and the ghost stories. Price is very reasonable! I even bought the tour guide's book abt The Hauntings in St. Charles. Would recommend doing this for fun!

Visited June 2012