“Terrible service - will never return” 1 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   1 Ameristar Boulevard, Saint Charles, MO 63301   |
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Saint Charles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
minnesota
“Terrible service - will never return”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

I don't know where to start, but I'll offer up some thoughts for those who consider making the mistake of staying at this hotel.
Yes, the rooms were nice and the hotel had a full array of services including multiple restaurants, spa, etc. If these are the only things important to you, then pay the above average price and stay.
On the other hand, I have been traveling for years and have stayed in everything from one stars through the worlds finest properties.
The first night I decided to order room service. The phone rang over 50 times before the phone rolled over and I was told by the person on the other end that "the person responsible should be around". Without trying to help track this individual down, I was transfered back to the same extension. The phone rang forever. I put the phone down, waited five minutes and tried again. This time I was successful. After ordering from a verbal menu (the room service menu in the room was not current), I was told the order would take 30 minutes. After an hour, I decided to call to check on my order. I was told that the "cook made a mistake with the order and they would have to start over....It will be 15 minutes....." They then hung up on me with out an apology or a partial credit to accomodate the delay. The food did come within the new time. Again, no apology, explanation, etc. I was hungry. I wanted to go to sleep. These things happen from time to time.
Upon waking up (early), I called the front desk for a extended checkout. The checkout time was 11 AM and posted and I wanted to checkout at noon. In speaking with the first person I contacted at the front desk, I was told that "they had extended all the late checkouts that they could". Not only was the individual rude, but the night before I was told by the front desk that the hotel was relatively empty. I asked politely to speak with her manager as I had my young son with me and I needed the extra hour to pack, arrange my schedule, etc. Upon speaking with the supervisor, I was told, again that "no more extensions were being given....". I subsequently shared my experience from the night before, presented my reasons for the hour extension and asked again for the late check out. With that, she yelled at me and said "Fine" and hung up on me. At this point, I didn't care. I just wanted to get my day started.
The poor service wasn't limited to the front desk, room service and management only. My wife spend a couple of hours at the casino the first not. Not only did she lose, but she wasn't waited on and the floor waitress in the area ignored her and the others gambling in the same section. The casino, like the hotel was empty.
I would consider one of these events as one time events. I understand that "things happen", "people have a bad day", etc. These were not events, but key indicators of a hotel on the decline. I will never stay at this property again, not would I reommend this property to my colleagues or employees that travel to St. Louis.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Ameristar-Hotel-Mgmt, Management Team at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles, responded to this review, March 6, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. Ameristar strives to deliver the best guest service experiences and I apologize that we did not deliver that experience for you. We are continually making improvements and we would welcome a second chance to host you and your family. We have taken your feedback to assist us in providing a better guest experience in the future. Additionally, we are proud to announce that this year we earned our AAA Four Diamond Award status attributed to the services and amenities our facility provides. Thank you again for writing your review. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
The Heartland, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

Arrived in sportcoat and tie after eating a fine lunch at the diner just across the lobby. Very competent staff, check me right in. Room is excellent, very much like the Venetian in LV. Bathroom lovely with sunken jacuzzi and glass enclosed shower, excellent tile work all around. Attended a few meetings in the non-smoking portion of the facility and tried my hand at a few games of chance. Terrific perfect-sleeper king sized bed. Breakfast delivered on time. Eggs and bacon prepared better than my wife (as she never makes me eggs nor bacon so it was a real treat). Lovely place. I wish that oyster bar was open while I was there. Good value, good fun.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
St. Louis,MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

Gorgeous rooms. Nice and relaxing pool. Really enjoyed our stay

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

The hotel is indeed lovely. However, check-in is 3pm, and we arrived at 3:40 to be told our room was not ready (it was clean but had not been inspected yet), and to "go do something else for a while." We'd been hiking and were tired & wanted to freshen up, but no dice. The clerk printed directions to a nearby restaurant, but they were outdated as there is now a gas station there. We drove around and found another place, ate, and returned to the hotel to be told the room still was not ready. No apology or solution was offered. I had to ask that they find us a room that WAS ready because we were not going to wander around anymore. By the time we checked in it was after 5:30 pm. The room had no whirlpool tub, as I had been told when I booked. It was not properly stocked and we had to call down and request toilet paper. The complimentary newspaper never materialized. The pool looked nice, but since we could not check in until so much later, we had no time to use it. With no pool and no whirlpool, this place offered us nothing that the Embassy Suites down the road doesn't have, for a lot less $ -- and Embassy suites throws in a free breakfast and evening manager's reception. We chose to spend more on Ameristar since we were celebrating our anniversary and thought we'd splurge and feel pampered, and we ended up feeling cheated. They treated us like we just didn't matter. If I am going to spend this much on a hotel, I expect better. Heck, even at a cheap hotel, I expect to be able to check in at check-in time, and I expect management to make it right when they are unable to accommodate guests as promised.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Ameristar-Hotel-Mgmt, Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles, responded to this review, February 21, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We apologize that your experience at our property did not exceed your expectations. We can assure you that we appreciate your feedback and have focused on making improvements to address the concerns you have brought to our attention. . We hope that you will allow us a second chance in the future to provide a better guest experience. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I LOVED this hotel. I had absolutely no complaints. Everything was perfect. The decor is very trendy. The housekeeping staff is very good at their jobs. Since it's a casino, the rates for such a great room are really good. I think it cost us about $110 a night. I really wanted to go to the spa, but it was $85/person minimum. =/
But, of course, it's connected to the casino and there are several places to eat in the building. They also have a bakery, a few bars/clubs to hang out in, and an arcade.
I highly recommend staying here, even if you're not going to the casino. The place is huge!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Buffalo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

I was very surprised when my husband and I arrived at the hotel. When I first walked into the lobby area there was a strange smell that initally turned me off, but I found out it was the smell from the Mississippi River. I never smelled it again the entire stay. The hotel and the rooms were immaculate. I have a lot of phobias when traveling and this hotel is one that I would definetely stay in again. The room is spacious and the bathroom is HUGE! The only negatives I would say is the size of the closet if you are staying for a while and the TV in the bathroom had to much glare. You couldn't see the screen well. Other than that I say BOOK THIS HOTEL IT WILL NOT DISPLEASE YOU!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Ne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

This place is incredible. The rooms are very Vegas Venetian with a step down living room with large flatscreen TV, couch, coffee table and chairs. You can have a view of the river or of the 5th floor pool area. Very nice. The bedroom area was uber comfy with another large flat screen TV, great mattress and pillows. The bathroom was huge with tub, seperate stand up shower, two sinks, separate toilet area and another TV. Yes, I had them all on during the Federer/Roddick match at Wimbledon. The service here is amazing. I left a bag there, and they mailed it to me for free. Nice workout room with Cardio Theater machines. All in all, a great stay.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles? Share your experiences!