“Almost Vegas” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 19 hotels in Saint Charles
Kansas City
“Almost Vegas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I booked a king non-smoking room the morning of my stay. Upon arriving about 8 hours later, they only had (2) queen non-smoking rooms. I did not mind since I was by myself on business. I could see this being more of a problem if circumstances were different.

The rooms are very much like the Venetian rooms in Vegas. The bathroom has a separate shower and tub, two sinks, television and small room for the water closet. You then step into the bed area with dresser and television. Past the beds you step down into a living room area with couch, extra seating, and another television. The décor is dark and modern with a very relaxing feel.

Not all of the restaurants are open every evening. After a little bit of gambling, the buffet and sports bar were my only options. I chose the buffet for speed and was pleasantly surprised. Even though it was near closing and most of the food was likely prepared hours before, it all was fresh, visually appetizing and well prepared. I do not usually partake in buffets but enjoyed this one.

I pretty much played craps most of the evening so I cannot comment on the other gaming. It is a very large casino. They offered 10X odds which is much better than most Vegas casinos. I did manage to find one $5 minimum table with another $10 minimum regular table and $10 minimum crap-less table. I live in Kansas City and know that Missouri allows smoking in their casinos. There appears to be more people that enjoy smoking in St. Louis. It did bother me most of the evening.

If I weren't traveling alone, there was and indoor and outdoor pool, arcade and spa that would interest my family. I am not sure I would bring them here just from the smoke and the possibility of a room reassignment. The rooms are very nice but a little on the pricey side.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

329 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We chose this hotel based on reviews from various websites and we were disappointed to say the least. Upon arrival, we were crunched for time and had an appointment at the spa. I explained this to the valet and asked what was the fastest way to park so we could make our appointment. He talked for what seemed like 5 minutes, trying to be helpful but in the end, just ended up taking the car and parking it for us. We ended up having to grab our own bags. We ran in to drop them off at the check in with the hope of picking them up after the appointment and completing the check in process then.

The attendant basically made us go through the check in process which obviously took longer. We had asked for a river view room, towards the end of the hall, preferably away from people because we have small kids and didn't want them to wake up when folks come back from a late night out. Based on our request, she first tried to give us a room on the same floor as the pool/spa/gym (obviously that would have been noisy and busy) but then thought a better idea was to give us a pool view room 2 doors from the elevator a couple stories up.

We then went back and asked if we could switch rooms for the very same reasons we mentioned. This time speaking to a different person. We did ultimately get a room that met our requested qualifications. The rooms themselves seemed decently appointed and had enough space in the 2 queen room for a family of 4. However, unfortunately not very clean. My wife literally had to walk to the house keeping cart that was coming down the hall, took some supplies, brought them back to our room to clean the dust rhinos, hair, pieces of an old brush, etc. off the floor. All the while, the house keeping staff was yelling at my wife to come back with their stuff. Really, did you think she was going to try to steal your mop in front of you, while staying as a guest in the hotel? Instead, you could have offered to rectify the situation. Day 3, I killed a roach off the window...really, 20+ stories up, a roach.

Went to use the pool. The card reader didn't work so the person nearest to the door kept having to get out of the pool to let people in. Could have been left open, could have set a pool attendant, could have fixed the card reader, etc. While it was a nice size and did have a hot tub area that seated several people, it was an indoor/outdoor pool. Essentially, there was supposed to be several plastic pieces that hung as a curtain covering a connection from inside to outside. Had all the pieces of plastic been intact, I'm sure this would have been much more effected at preventing 30 degree air from blowing in every time someone opened the door. Despite that, the water was a decent temp. The pool was 4 feet deep which isn't exactly friendly for small kids.

On check out, we mentioned some of the disappointments we had during our stay and for our trouble, they offered to pay for breakfast as we were leaving after 10AM. If you read our review of the Falcon Diner, you can imagine my response. Considering how much we paid to stay there, that it was allegedly a 4 star hotel and that our experience was sub par to say the least, I would have expected them to offer at least one of our nights free or something that was more of a substantial gesture than the empty offer of breakfast after we had already checked out and it was almost time for lunch. By the way, 3 of the 4 restaurants are closed on Sunday and Monday (and for breakfast). Not that it mattered because we left the hotel to eat but having stayed at other similar hotels, it was not something we thought we needed to ask about when booking our reservation.

After sharing our experience with other friends that have stayed in the area, we will not be going back there; nor will be recommend it to any of our friends. I've had much better stays at much lower rated hotels. They should be embarrassed to charge that much for that kind of experience.

By the way, in case you were traveling from out of state and weren't aware, people can smoke indoors in Missouri hotels, restaurants, etc. so you may want to keep that in mind as you make your travel plans. It's been a while since I had to request a non-smoking table or room. I never realized how pleasant it was to be in a smoke free environment until I was exposed to the smoke again rolling my kids in their stroller through the lobby/hallway/restaurants of the hotel.

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We came here after leaving another casino hotel on the same short trip. The room was beautiful, very roomy, even for a family of 5. The only issue we had is that we came with a family of five and booked a double bed room. When my husband got to the front desk, the lady said she was out of double beds but would see what she could do. Because the room was booked under my name, my husband came to the car to be with the kids and sent me in. The lady told me that we were being set up in a King room and was sending a cot up. I asked if she had talked to my husband about this and if he was ok with it and she said yes.

When I went to get the rest of my family to head up to the room, he said that the lady had told him she would see what she could do about getting us two beds, not that she was going to send a cot up to the room. It ended up working since our youngest is a baby and was able to sleep in our pack n' play. One kid slept on the cot and the other slept on the couch. This was the only disappointing part of our stay.

When we got to our room, maintenance was setting the cot up. We asked for another but he said he only had three in the whole hotel and couldn't bring more. He was very friendly and brought more blankets and pillows up however.

The pool was very nice. I'd love to visit in the summer time when the outdoor pool is open. The pool is part indoor, part outdoor, with a large hot tub that most people stayed in. We did get in the cold pool but not for long, it was still pretty cold even though it was indoors!

The location was great - we took the kids to Dave & Buster's, which was the next exit down. If traveling adults only though, the downtown St. Charles area is very charming. I would love to spend time in this area someday.

Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Nice casino visited on my Birthday they give you a big set of beads. Grabbed something to eat at Ameristar sports bar good food and lots of big screens great for watching NCAA games. Did not stay at the Hotel only visited the Casino.

Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

My wife who is 4 months pregnant and I have been going to Ameristar for years and thought we would go again for our 5 year anniversary. We aren't big time gamblers, but like the hotel and restaurants so we were expecting another nice stay, and everything was going as planned, but that quickly changed as we started walking around the complex. The first thing was that the diner was closed okay that’s fine we will try the sports bar wrong okay the seafood place wrong again. We knew the other restaurants were closed because of Sunday limiting the options but now everything was closed except the buffet. We went to the front desk and just quickly asked is everything going to be closed, and answer was "yes" not sorry for the inconvenience just "yes"! I told my wife that is fine we will see when we get to the room we can order room service before we go to the casino, well, closed due to weather. At this point I am little upset about having no options available to us and called the front desk to check out after 45 minutes. The front desk agent answers and I ask if we can check out, to my surprise not why are you checking out just "okay." I asked would we be charged the 129. 00 room rate for this, and this time I don't get quick answer I get put on hold. After about 7 or 8 minutes she gets back on the line telling me no charge which is one good thing. My wife is very upset at this time, and I even asked is there anything can be done like lower room rate and again quick answer "no". When we brought our keys down to the front desk my wife now goes to talk to the front desk and asks for a supervisor which this takes about 15 minutes for her to arrive. I am so upset at this point I walk away leaving my wife to talk to the supervisor which quickly puts my wife into tears because of the cold and inconsiderate front desk. After all of this the reason for all the outlets being closed is that they are running on half-staff, and basically tough deal with it. Long story short went down the road were everything was open at this Casino (snow must have been much worse a mile away at Ameristar), and had a great time lost money oh well, but had a good time. Ameristar train your staff and lose the attitude, and it make me glad that I am an assistant producer for a local radio show so I can have some material to have my guys talk about on air. Have your social media person ready to figure out which station I work for.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Megan A, Guest Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
I am so sorry to hear your experience was less than satisfactory. We want all of our guests to receive welcoming service and what you describe certainly does not meet our standard. I have reached out to the property management team on your behalf. Thank you for visiting our property and we sure do hope to have you back.
Saint Charles, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Very large rooms and beautiful view of the river. Feels very luxurious. The bathroom is unbelievable, spa tub. The bathroom is almost as big as most bedrooms. Pool area is very large as well as a large outdoor pool area. Very nice for the family. Well worth it.

• Stayed February 2014
New Port Richey, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Let me start with overall the 1 night stay was a nice visit. I was working a couple hours away from the STL airport and had a morning flight out to come home. Did my driving the evening before and stayed at Ameristar. Casino was nice, meal at the buffet was fine.

Upon check in I had an issue, the room price at the desk was not the price I remembered from when I booked several weeks earlier. I mentioned the rate did not sound right and intended to go back when I had the exact number from the reservation email. Went up to the room and booted computer. Lo and behold the email showed a reservation but where the room rate should have been inserted was blank. My recommendation - if the room rate is not on your email - call the hotel. Not calling seems to get you the rack rate.

Room Tip: No room tips to offer. Evening into night was spent in the casino and I was asleep within 3 minutes...