“Loved the Cottage” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ridgedale
Purcell, Missouri
“Loved the Cottage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

We stayed at Big Cedar for two nights during our wedding weekend. We booked the Knotty View cottages, and were lucky enough to stay at a cottage very close to the restaurants, marina, and main lodge. However, it could be possible to get a cabin a great distance from the main buildings. I would suggest checking the location of your cottage if at all possible prior to booking, or requesting a cottage in the low #500's. (We had # 503).
The room was very cozy and romantic. Be careful regarding the fireplace though. The firebox was not sealed very well, and smoked tended to leak into the room.
Overall, service was classy and fantastic, and Big Cedar has all the amenities for you to enjoy a weekend in the Ozarks.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Amelia Island, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

My wife and I just spent 3 nights at one of the Big Cedar Lodge's Thunderhead cabins. When I called for reservations, the Lodges were all filled up, however they had a Thunderhead cabin available for us, so we took it. Boy, was that a lucky break. While the cabin is quite basic, and certainly not cheap ($167/night), we had a beautiful view of the lake away from the hustle and bustle of the overdeveloped (my opinion) lodges/wilderness club area. The cabin was very peaceful and we enjoyed watching and listening to the birds.

We visited the Dogwood Canyon Park (rented bikes) which was nice, and had 2 dinners at the Devil's pool restaurant (also very good). Table Rock Lake is very beautiful, I'd encourage anyone to buy a local map and drive around. The nearby Twin Islands restaurant has a good breakfast. Enjoy!

• Liked — the lake view
  • Disliked — too many 6 story condo buildings
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

We have spent many Thanksgivings at Big Cedar and have always loved the festive, light adorned cabins and first class service. We just returned from our first springtime trip to the resort and it was just as wonderful. (And much less expensive than visiting in the summer or holiday season.)The property was ablaze with flowering trees and srping flowers. Our two-bedroom cabin was beautiful and we always appreciate the little extras like a water-stocked fridge and a basket full of complimentary goodies to munch on. There is so much to do for familes and couples that there is no reason to ever leave the resort and venture into the chaos of Branson. There are hiking trails, indoor and outdoor pools, a fabulous marina with free canoes and new boats to rent. The kids love just playing on the grounds, fishing and feeding the turtles. We love it there!

• Liked — The beautiful cabins, comfy beds and gorgwous grounds
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

We have stayed in some fabulous places and we love Big Cedar as much as any of them. It is owned by Bass Pro Shops and tucked away in the Ozark mountains on TableRock lake. The lodges, cabins, walking trails and lake are very similar to what you find in Lake Tahoe or the Adirondacks.

There are lots of things to do, but be sure to take advantage of the many complimentary activities - canoeing, badmitton, bon fires, tennis, mini golf, etc..

The Falls Lodge is our favorite lodging. It is beautiful and convenient. You can walk to anything. The cabins are nice, but some are a drive away from any activity. There is a free shuttle - but who wants to wait?

We've taken teenagers and grandchildren and older parents - and everyone has plenty to do. It's a safe place where you can let the older kids "roam".

Bring your bikes if you can and don't miss Dogwood Canyon.

The breakfast buffet at Devil's Pool is great (fried catfish, omlettes, etc.). It's $10.00 - but worth it - and you can eat late enough to avoid lunch.

Ask for specials and think about going mid-week. A Falls Lodge room might go for $300 / night on a weekend during spring break - but be available for $139 on a Wednesday or Thursday.

Even if you can just stay one night - go!

• Liked — Beautiful. Tranquil. Lots of activities.
  • Disliked — Wish it was cheaper...
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2007

My husband and I took our children, ages 16, 12, 10 to Big Cedar. We stayed in a one room cabin on the ridge across the lake from the Marina.. I can't say enough great things! From arriving and finding our complimentary welcome snack basket, to the deck with chairs, table, grill, etc...to the corner jacuzzi tub..everything was just awesome. The size of the cabin was perfect for our family of 5, although next time we may do the one room cabin with loft. We did not eat out during our 3 night stay..We went to town and bought groceries and grilled steaks, hamburgers, etc...Made it more homey and loved cooking out. The privacy of the cabin was good, we heard no noise from other people, etc..The attention to detail at Big Cedar is amazing, and we were extremely impressed. Yes, it is pricey...BUT it was worth it for us. The family bonding time was priceless..We checked out free games from the registration desk area and played games in our cabin, we played miniature golf at no charge, we went fishing, etc..All of us can not wait to go back! My husband and I did go to the Wilderness speach..Hey, for free coupons, I can sit through a speach and take a little tour. (If you don't like salespeople just decline the offer) Like the others we said no due to financial constraints, and yes the speaker got his boss to talk to us a little more. But we again said no, and there was no problem. We went and got our coupons and went shopping..Beautiful gift shop! Paid for our souvenir sweatshirts,etc.. ; ) I would HIGHLY recommend Big Cedar and yes we will be going there again very soon..

• Liked — The cleanliness, the jacuzzi tub, the awesome attention to detail..classy, classy place
  • Disliked — no complaints..
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled with family
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2007

My husband & I just got back from a 2 night stay at a cabin at Big Cedar Lodge. I had been there before about 15 years ago. It was my husbands first time & we both loved it!! We stayed in a one bedroom cabin. It was a small one room, basically, cabin, but the open floor plan made it feel a little bit bigger & very cozy. The time of year we can go is the slower time, so there aren't as many people, even though it was still busy. We got a great deal over email for $125/night, so we jumped on it. All the details of this place are really extravagant. I think it is a very pricey place, but for what you get, I can understand. It is spread out like others have said, but we had absolutely no wait time when we called for a shuttle. There were shuttles going constantly. Our cabin had a view through the trees, if they were in bloom, I would say no view. But that made it more private since you were right next to other cabins. The room service was fast, the maids were right on top of it. When I called for any information everyone talked with a smile in their voice & were very helpful. The cookie ladies and the turn down service was such a nice touch!
The only thing I didn't like, which we didn't expect, was the Wilderness Club. When we checked in the front desk guy rattled off a bunch of stuff about it, and all I heard, being a woman was $150 in free vouchers to spend anywhere on the property. I immediately booked a time, which they said would take about an hour, and then spent the $$ at the gift shop. The gift shop was awesome with all kinds of wonderful upscale clothing that was on sale!! I spent all the $$ in a matter of minutes! Then, the next morning we went to the Wilderness Club meeting. The guy we talked to was great, but he had me at hello! My husband was skeptical. We agreed to opt out, then told him no, he proceeded to get his boss, we told him no. Even though he gave us a much better price, we still couldn't afford it on one income! We even gave them our sad story of being broke. It seemed like we had won, then he took us out of the building to a seperate building & gave us the "trial period" talk, which my husband agreed to do. I was happy as a lark. Then I got home & read the reviews here about it & we have agreed that we will do the trial period, but that's it. I imagine it won't be that easy after hearing the reviews. I will let you know how it turns out.
Overall, high prices, but I have never seen such beautiful grounds, well kept, talked to such nice people, treated so well or eaten such good food. I felt like we were on a second honeymoon and it was much more romantic!! I did stay in a cabin, so it was private. I couldn't hear anything outside except the birds. I could go on all day about how nice it was....except for the Wilderness Club. I did like the fact that I could view the other rooms & cabins, but you could probably do that if there was one empty anyway. I would suggest, if you are dead set on saying no, sitting through it if you have 3 hours to kill in order to get the free $$ vouchers. Don't spend them until after you go through the meeting though, bc I am not so sure they would give them to you if you say no! I didn't mind it all that much, but my husband felt like he was backed into a corner & it actually started a small argument between us. So ladies, have fun with the bucks, but whoever is the stronger person should do all the talking & let the weaker one, me!, stay in the room or zip their mouths shut. Our sales guy was a super guy, but I think even he could've gotten ugly! I saw one sales guy walk out of their very pissed off after a couple said no.

Stayed February 2007
St.Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2006

We celebrated our 50th anniversary at Big Cedar Lodge with our children and grandchildren (10 people). The staff is friendly and efficient and the facilities excellent. Food is good but not great. Lots to do for all age groups. Close enough to Branson to get there easily if you are looking for "good tacky". We went to 2 shows and loved them. Everyone had a good time.

Been to Big Cedar Lodge? Share your experiences!