“Unique restaurant with great food!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Cave Restaurant & Resort

The Cave Restaurant & Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Richland
The Cave Restaurant & Resort
You added The Cave Restaurant & Resort to your Saves list
26880 Rochester Rd, Richland, MO 65556   |
Columbia, Missouri
“Unique restaurant with great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Food was great. There were 11 of us, most of us had steak.

Service was great. Price was very reasonable for being such a unique location.

Decor was not as nice as I imagined. Could use some updating.

But it's in a cave! View outside restaurant was great.

We only went to the restaurant, not sure about their cabins or floating trip quality.

Worth the drive to go there. We were staying at another resort near Camdenton in Lake of the Ozark, took us an hour to drive to this restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Spartanburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I lucked up on this unique restaurant through the recommendation of a local antique dealer. Built in a cave several stories above a scenic river, this eatery is accessed by long stairs or freight elevator. The resort caters to family-style log cabin rentals, kayak, canoeing, and river floating. After speaking with the new owner, we discovered that he has worked hard to overcome rocky beginnings over major repairs and getting the old restaurant back up to quality. By asking what his specialty was, we ordered the fried catfish plate - the best we've had in many years. While other reviewers did not have as good an experience as we did, I would suggest that if you are passing through the area, this cavernous eatery is worth the stop, even if just to enjoy the scenery.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

You get to eat in a cave restaurant! That's about it the end of the positive. Uncaring employees, unkept, make sure u you have plenty of time cause no one is in a hurry. Oh and germx would not be a bad thing to bring along.

• Stayed July 2013
Independence, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were not impressed. We were a party of 3 adults and 3 children. I think the owners must have been having a bad day because as I read all the other reviews I wonder if these people actually went to the same place we did. The property was unorganized and run-down. The food at the cave was tasty but we waited too long for our food and it was brought to us cold. I have never had cold french fries before now. We were not offered a discount when we expressed dissatisfaction with our food.

I would not consider this a "resort". Our cabin did have two bedroom with two beds in each room but one of the beds fell in when we sat on it. The owner was apologetic and said that the maintenance man had been fired the night before and someone did come and fix the bed. However, we all smelled a very unpleasant smell in the cabin like a combination of sewage and lysol. When my sister found hair on her pillow before she laid down in the bed we decided we would not spend the night and we turned in our key and stayed at the Sleep Inn and Camdenton.

Room Tip: We had cabin number 5.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have been to the Cave 3 times in the last 5 years and this last time was the best ever, they have since changed ownership since the last visit and they did so for the better because the service and food was awesome. The steak was the star of the night, great seasoning and cooked perfect.
It is a bit tricky to get here so have a good gps but overall worth the drive!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ridgeway, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

To start it was a beautiful scenic drive to the cave. After you park you can wait for a shuttle to the restaurant or take a 5 min walk. Then you take an elevator ride to the restaurant then you're greeted by some of the nicest staff ever... hope you're lucky enough to get Debbie as your server she's sweeter then the to die for bread pudding (highly recommend) My steak I ordered medium rare it was one of the best i've had... awesome flavor! We were so glad we decided to stop... They need one of these in Wisconsin! Thanks so much for the hospitality and amazing memories!

• Stayed July 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My coworker and I went here for dinner the other night (5/8/2013). We decided to walk up to the restaurant instead of waiting for the shuttle. It was a pleasant walk, looking at the various cabins and geological features. The climb up into the restaurant is a little harrowing for those afraid of heights, but nothing too horrible. We were seated quickly and our waitress was very friendly and nice. My coworker is gluten intolerant, so he was a little disappointed that they didn't have anything set up specifically for gluten intolerance, but it is a relatively new thing, and this is rural Missouri. Anyway, I ordered the fried pickles, which were tasty and came out quickly, and my main course was a chicken sandwich. The sandwich and my coworkers order took a bit to come out, but the wait wasn't overly long. We enjoyed looking around the interior of the restaurant, view the different features of the cave, taking pictures etc. The prices were reasonable too, maybe a little on the high side, but it is probably a pain to bring provisions up there. The food was decent, nothing to write home about. The chicken was moist and seasoned well, and the roll it was on was nicely toasted. The sauce they used also had a nice flavor. It was a bit salty, but I expect that these days with chicken. Overall it was an enjoyable experience, but again, nothing extraordinary.

Room Tip: Didn't utilize the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Cave Restaurant & Resort? Share your experiences!