“Great Hotel - Excellent Stay” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Moragolla KT 12070, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Moragolla
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Colombo
“Great Hotel - Excellent Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Cinnamon Bey is an exquisite hotel located in Beruwala. My wife, toddler baby and I went to the hotel over the week end. The entrance was wide and spacious and checking in to the hotel was a breeze. We got a room very close to the baby pool so our toddler son had a fantastic time there. The garden is still up and coming since the hotel is new, but they have done a great job with the grass and the layout around the hotel. The gym facilities seems reasonable as there were few elyptical machins, running machines and free weights. The Spa azmara was always busy and we were not able to get a treatment, but from what we heard they were absolutely great.

The beach was Ok nothing to brag about, there were so many beach boys which really did not sit well with us so we were discouraged from going to the beach.

The room we stayed in was spacious and had all the amnesties. Our kid loved the pool area and he had a great time playing in the pool.

the dinning area is well located, while there are few signature restaurants in the hotel. The lunch, dinner and breakfast had a wide variety of foods from Western, to Indian to Thai and Sri Lankan while action stations were placed in the corner of the dinning area and always had something good to offer.

the staff were excellent and courteous and always had a smile on their face and went out of their way to help us even if our kid was making a mess of the dinner table :)

Loved the experience and will go again for sure!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
BEYCHRIS1, General Manager at Cinnamon Bey Beruwala, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to read that you and your family had a wonderful time at Cinnamon Bey and that our Team Members contributed to this experience. We are sorry that our Azmaraa Spa did not have any availability to suit your request. If you are planning to travel next time to the Resort, please do not hesitate to call us in advance and we will book a Spa treatment in advance for you.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome back you soon with your family.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

my husband and i stayed at Cinnamon bey 19th Mar to 22nd Mar for our first wedding anniversary. what an incredible time we had.

Mornings started with a wonderful breakfast buffet and a smiling greeting from waiters, a leisurely lunch was taken on the deck by the pool side bar and was always delicious and the evening dinners was the best dinners so far. 2nd we had BBQ which was arranged my R&B manager Namal, we enjoyed every bit of it.. it was a very nice surprise for me from my husband and Namal arranged it very well. thank you
hotels pay attention to the guests need from checking to check-out we was delighted by the friendliness of the associates. specially f&b staffs. all the people in the bar and very special that Meneka (barman Grain bar)
we will definitely go back for a longer stay.

thank you so much all the associates of Cinnamon bey

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your praised about our Team Members and we are delighted that Namal turned your birthday into an exceptional one. We are also pleased that the friendliness of our staff contributed to this exceptional moment.

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor and we hope to welcome you back in the near future or possibility for your next birthday.

Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Looks like a huge resort. Yes we had to walk to 5 mins to get to our room 118. Several gorgeous swimming pools dotted around the place. Many restaurants and cafes. We should want for nothing. Great jumping off point for other beaches of Bentota and Hikkaduwa. Not that the beach here falls short of any others.
Very welcoming reception, icy cool towelettes and a fruit cocktail, smooth efficient check in. Mini-gripe: unpainted concrete pillars and beams, neutral walls gives the appearance of an aging building, but this is a brand new hotel. If you look closely at the floor tiling, you'll notice badly smeared gum/grouting and the muted/faded colours again contributing to an impression of an aging building. It's probably all deliberate. Also important to note that none of this detracts from the enjoyment of the hotel.
Large comfy room. Opens to a private terrace with lawns and ocean views. All the mod cons. Strong included WiFi in the room. Minor gripe - only 2 packs of coffee - really need 2 per cup to make a drinkable cuppa. Evening shower - gushing hot water and delectable toiletries. Towels only a 6 on a scale of 10 - large, good nap but previous skid marks not totally removed. Off to the "BUFE" for dinner with great expectations of the "world famous, highly regarded buffet dinner". Sadly, this is where the wheels fall off - not all, maybe 2. The buffet is OK - OK spread/selection, starters well thought out, an excellent sausage tidbit, a thimble of roasted chicken, wide selection of crunchy veggies. Wide selection of breads. Asian noodles for main was delicious as was the sear fish in a wasabi sauce and the dish of sautéed eggplant with an Italian leaning. Not so much the roast pork or the meats. On to the curries and again the experience was mixed. Fluffy rice, my wife took the inedible, tough beef, I enjoyed the curried fish, dhal, sautéed beans, mallun (go Google it), pappadams and a variety of chutneys and pickles. The desserts were your stock cakey soldiers, but the fruit was good as well as the banana in butterscotch sauce. Yum. Coffee was surprisingly drinkable. So, as I said, overall OK but nowhere close to the reviewed raves I had read. Could be because it was Sunday night and the place was just a third full. The other wobbly wheel was the service, or lack of it. Real friendly staff - when you catch their attention: my dry martini wasn't, my wife's coke was dropped at her side without being opened, my beer must have had to be ordered from Colombo. Not once did anyone so much as ask us if we would like another drink. And they tried to take my plate away while I was still eating. Hate that. Gotta put it down to the newness of the establishment; they can only get better. I hope. Quick word about the music combo: excellent guitarist - when he played solo. Violinist reminded me of my neighbour Mrs Peerce's cat when he got his tail caught in her push bike wheel spokes. Enough said.
By the way, the setting is very prettily lit and the whole atmosphere with the swimming pools and discrete lighting and the banging of the waves, is really relaxing.
Day 2 - 1 sachet a cup morning kick start coffee - ACK!! At least the milk was real milk from real Sri Lankan cows - WHY do hoteliers around the world give you this weak rubbish? Why do I keep forgetting to bring extra sachets?
Breakfast buffet at BUFE. WOW!! What the world-famous dinner buffet lacked, this one kicked (not allowed to say what). What a spread: crisp varti hoppers and leaky egg-hoppers, seeni sambal and a pol sambal to burn you an extra one. Then on to the string hoppers, with freshly made oggarulung (my misspelling of Sri Lankan scrambled eggs with lots of relishes mixed in), creamy yellow kiri hothi, sambals, to which my wife added some of the many curries (beef, fish, pork, chicken) on offer. Eyed the other spreads - extensive collection of cereals, breads, pastries, cheeses, yoghurts and a range of fresh fruit. And more curries and Asian dishes too. Man! This is a spread to make your eyes water and want to make you cancel all your appointments for the rest of the day. What a diff from last night. And the attentiveness of the staff had risen a couple of notches off last night's bottom effort.
Allow me a niggle: the cleaners had been to the room BUT DID NOT REPLENISH the mini bar items we used (don't they want to sell more?) also no hand-towels, and also not the tiny weenie toiletry bottles. Unacceptable! However caught the cleaners two door down and they handed me the replacements. Aside note re these toiletries, they are the best i've come across, "Spa Ceylon", i think. .
Off for a day long tour of the Bawas' legacy gardens and houses.
Back hot and sweaty. Sat down at the poolside bar. MAN! The staff have taken their attentiveness pills: excellent, at your elbow when you want them! The draft beer was heaven sent and the Singapore Slings like my mother didn't made them.
Fabulous sunset but the poor staff had to dismantle the entire BBQ buffet they were building poolside because one with a direct line to you know who had heard to would rain. Shame.
Back to the room for a shower (what a great gushing shower of hot water) and off to dinner. The buffet had migrated to the large undercover pool side area and was well patronized. We decided to try Fire, found it sadly nearly empty. Decided to try it anyway, pork chops with a side of roasted mushrooms for me and for Memsaab, the beef burger with all the accoutrements. Wanted a gin but chose a grey goose for me (to avoid arguments about how to build an HTC) and a S.African Pino Grigio for Memsaab. Very surprised re how tiny the drinks were, had to order two of each to get to taste them. Memsaab's burger was good although they ignored her wish not to have tomato, and brought her sweet chilli sauce rather than chilli sauce. My chop was perfectly done, the sauce and the extra mushrooms too, but the so-called rocket leaves were too bitter to eat. Quite reasonably priced too, the food at R4000 but felt the tiny drinks were overpriced at R4000.
Finished off the meal with delicious ice cream from Ice bar, near the pool.
Day 3 - hate this 1-packet-a-cup coffee. Also find the 9am door knocking to check if we have laundry and today to check whether they could pick up our bags very annoying. Also the phone call at 11pm last night to inquire whether we were checking out at mid-night or at noon - ridiculous.
Great breakfast again (see above) but must make special mention of the kiribath; also the fact that although we arrive in the last 45 minutes of breakfast time, all the bain-maries were kept replenished. Very pleasing.
Bags packed and ready to go. Smooth and RUDE checkout. "I have your money so you can b_gger off!!" Not so much as a "Gidday" or "have a safe journey back" - bit of a sour end to a great break in a great beach hotel.

+s: top setting, views, many pools and the ocean as near background
-s: friendly but very immature service

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for your detailed comments posted on Trip Advisor in regards to your recent stay at the Cinnamon Bey Beruwala.

We are delighted to read that you had a good experience and that you particularly enjoyed the friendliness of our Team Members as well as the food at breakfast and dinner.

We appreciate constructive feedback from our guests and we are reviewing your feedback in great detail in order to constantly improve our service.

I have taken good note of your remarks in regards to the stock of coffee in the room as well as the bathroom towels and also the dinner on your first evening. I would also like to apologise for the late call received the evening prior to your departure and for the sour end upon your check-out.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your review on our property and hope to welcome you back to Cinnamon Bey when you decide to visit Sri Lanka again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is my second visit to this hotel and I can simply say it has been improved far better than my first visit which I went just after it's opening. Had a good welcome from the reception and directed to the room by them selves. Room is excellent with a balcony opening to the sea and beach. Beach area is not as clean as bentota beach hotel, but you have enough space to have a walk. Pool is the coolest place here as you have more space. Food was excellent and tasty, but you might not have much varieties. Staff is really helpful and service was much better than my first visit. All in all, Cinnamon Bey is a place where you can have cool and calm stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience while staying at Cinnamon Bey for the second time.

We are pleased that you have noticed about the improvement in our service since your first stay. Our Chefs will be delighted to read that you have found the food tasty and excellent.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you soon for a third vist at cinnamon Bey.

Colombo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was a long awaited weekend getaway with 2 girlfriends of mine and It was fabulous!!! Cinnamon bey opened its doors only around 6 months ago so the hotel is in tip top shape. its uncluttered, clean decor and woven theme brings class and chic to the hotel!!! Its brilliant.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the hotel! but lets start to go through the points.

Check-in
Was fast, efficient and friendly. and we also received an early check in. which was great!!! The hotel isn't hard to find you can just follow the boards. We traveled by train so had to get off at aluthgama and take a tuk tuk which cost us Rs.300.

Room
Room wasn't screaming spacious However it was beautifully done up. the hotel has a theme running through. and it goes along to the rooms too. The bathroom and toilet was hidden away in a closet like manner which we found to be done in the most creative and innovative manner :D the couch outside in the balcony is great to have your morning coffee and breath in the fresh sea air.

FOOD/Restaurants
the most important, was SUPERB!!! and I don't usually say that for most places. the food was really good. the lunch and breakfast spreads were VERY VERY GOOD! I would give a tip of having green tea with your food which will make it go down easier and you wouldn't feel terribly guilty after :D. dinner spread was okay. nothing to write home about.
The hotel has around 9 restaurants. the main one bing Bufe, but off the top of my mind, there is raw, ice, 800 degrees and many more.

Entertainment
The sad part of this stay was the day we stayed there was no entertainment apart from a one man band. which wasn't bad. but still since it was a long weekend i would expect maybe something a bit more fun and active...

Pool/recreation/spa
pool is fantastic, the surrounding area is fantastic to just lounge around in chairs reading a book. there is a gym around in the back a few meters away from the spa. the spa, (well known azmaara spa) was packed to the hilt. so sadly we weren't able to use it :(((

Beach area
A sea pool is available due to a natural reef for about 500m in front of the hotel so its safe for swimmers and non swimmers alike to splash during these days when the sea is rough!!! one thing which made the three of us uncomfortable during our stay was when we decided to go to the beach in the evening the beach had quite a few "beach boys" hanging around staring in to the hotel, which was unnerving....

STAFF!!!
WE HAD NO COMPLAINTS... THE STAFF WAS AMAZING!!! ALL SMILES AND HELPFULNESS JUST ALL AROUND THE HOTEL!!! hope they keep it up!!!

The hotel was amazzing!!! beautiful, spacious and the staff was beyond fantastic!!!

Room Tip: Go for B&B and try our the restaurants...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Madam,

We are delighted that your weekend away to Cinnamon Bey was a successful one and that our Team Members contributed to this memorable time with your friends.

Thank you for your suggestion on the green tea!

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future at Cinnamon Bey.

With best regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Good five star resort in the beautiful part of south of Sri Lanka over looking Indian Ocean , enjoyed the stay with my family, good food at all restaurants, except poor service at the main restaurant .

Room Tip: Over looking the sea , above the pool
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased that you have enjoyed the food in our restaurants as well as the location of the hotel. We would like to apologize for the poor service you experienced at the main restaurant.

Thank you for your patronage and again please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Sincerely
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I spent a weekend here and it was such a great experience right from the start. The check in staff were very courteous ( special thanks to vinoda, hope your ankle has healed). Namal (FB manager) was a great host at mealtimes and only outdone by the sumptuous food on offer.

A very special mention to The room boy who found my phone. Your honesty is greatly appreciated. I can't thank you enough.

Looking forward to my next trip to cinnamon Bey !!!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted that our Team Members contributed to your memorable week-end at Cinnamon Bey.

Thank you again for your nice comments and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Been to Cinnamon Bey Beruwala? Share your experiences!