“Great resort on the lake!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark

You added Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark to your Saves list
Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   494 Tan-Tar-A Drive, Osage Beach, MO 65065   |
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Osage Beach
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great resort on the lake!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I have visited this resort several times as a child, and I had wanted to bring my own children back for many years, but I was hesitant because of all the reviews stating the place was seriously outdated. I normally prefer luxury hotels, but when I am at the lake (we also have our own home on the lake of the Ozarks) I don't mind a little more rustic or retro accomodations (its like a little trip back in time). We finally ended up coming to TanTara for a convention my husband was attending, and the kids and I had so much fun, we came back again last summer so that my husband could enjoy the resort with us.

We have stayed in both the estates complex and the main building, and I although did prefer the room in the estates complex because it was more spacious and updated, I had no problem with the main complex room, perhaps because it reminded me of my childhood stays. The main reason I come here is to have as many activities as possible without having to drive all over town just to do them. I certainly don't mind paying a little more for the convienence.

The pool(s) are fabulous, and if you are looking to save money, they can entertian kids (at least my kids) all day, especially the Arrowhead pool with its awesome slide. I love that I can get poolside drinks and snacks (you can even have a pizza delivered). There are ample lounge chairs and deck space, so you don't have to fight for a place to lay out and read, and the views of the lake from the Arrowhead pool are fabulous.

Yes, the indoor waterpark is pricey, but if you go early, you can spend plenty of time there. The slides are really fun and it was never crowded. The only downside is that the lazy river is a little shallow, but it is still enjoyable as long as you don't let your feet drag! There is plenty to do there to make it worth the price.

We also enjoyed the Tropic Island cruise (try the Grasshooper-a delicious frozen minty cocktail), horseback riding, mini golf, and renting a golf cart to explore the beautiful property.

The food at the BlackBear lodge is a little pricey, but it is good, and, again, the convienence of not having to drive to town is worth it. The pizza is also a quick option, and we LOVE the ice cream and souvineir shops in the main building!

We are going back this week, and I can't wait to see the newly renovated lobby, although I am of the opinion that the older style of property's buildings and interiors only add to it's charm.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear B S,

Thank you for your five star review of our resort! Glad to hear that you have such fond childhood memories of Tan-Tar-A and are still making new ones!
We look forward to your return and can’t wait to hear what you think of our new look.

At your service,

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

It was a very pleasant surprise to see a very tired Lake of the Ozarks classic coming back to life with a much-needed renovation. The lobby welcomes you with a modern, yet lodge feel. A new grand ( and massive) stone fireplace is central to the new lobby. I can imagine how warm and welcoming it will feel when there is a chill in the air. Many of the guest rooms have been completely renovated with not one, but two king beds and leather pull out sofa. The lobby bar has been opened up to the hotel lobby with trendy deco that you'd find in many contemporary city bars. The lobby bar spills out to a shady patio complete with fire pit. Their sad garage level exhibit hall has also been transformed with a dropped ceiling and new carpeting. Great improvement!! We had dinner in TTA's upscale Windrose Restaurant, which was excellent. By far TTA's greatest asset is their service. The staff are all very friendly and accommodating. There is still more to do to bring this classic venue back, but they are well on their way. It's time to give her another chance to impress you.

• Stayed June 2014
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Linda O,

We absolutely enjoyed reading the details of your review! We appreciate your positive feedback regarding our renovations and associates. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience on TripAdvisor, and we look forward to the opportunity to have you stay with us again!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Was here for a conference and asked for a room in the main hotel for the conference. They said no problem. What I got was a room about as far from the conference as possible but it was considered part of the main hotel because it's connected by a labyrinth of hallways and 10 flights of steps. The room was musty and the resort needed some updating. The hotel lobby was actually undergoing modernization making dealings there very difficult. Plus in the midst of all this they forgot our conference breakfast. I will give them props on the fact that the food was good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear twinmom40,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our resort. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. We would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay.
Our resort features over 700 guest rooms. Unique in its design and layout, Tan-Tar-A offers a choice of two distinctly different guest accommodations, the Resort Complex and the Estates Complex. The Resort Complex consists of 500 guest rooms located in Buildings A, B, C, D, E, the Windrose Building as well as rooms and suites along the waterfront. The Estates Complex offers comfortable, relaxed accommodations in a neighborhood like setting. The Estates Complex is a 7-9 minute drive from the Resort Complex by shuttle or car.
At time of reservation, the agent might have assumed you were asking for the main Resort Complex instead of Building A (the resort’s main building). We apologize for the miscommunication.
We hope that you will give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. Please feel free to reach out to me by calling 1-800-826-8272 and I will make arrangements for your next stay.

Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I guess I am a bit spoiled to "resorts" since my stays at very nice very large resorts. While Tan Tar A has 3 pools they are all a bit small, in the busy season it would be very hard to find a spot to splash around. The indoor pool was in desperate need of a chemical balancing or cleaning as just walking into the room was enough to make your eyes turn red from all the chemical smells. The sandy beach was nothing more than than a couple hundred feet of sand dumped on a man-made barrier. The lake water doesn't touch the sand and you are not allowed to touch the water from this beach area. The resort does have two affordable budget restaurants.. Burger King and Sharro's Pizza. The little indoor water park is an extra charge so we skipped that as well as the onsite little bowling alley. I am not a golfer so have nothing to say about the course they have there, but the put put looked nice.
We stated in the Estates in room 6091. The room was very clean and very big with a nice back porch. There was a mini-fridge and coffee maker and ceiling fan. It could have used a microwave.
The grounds are clean and well maintained and the staff was friendly.
I could see enjoying this resort for a weekend but after that would run out of things to do and money since there are only a small handful of free things to do here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear kcwifle,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed our restaurants, your room, the grounds and our associates.
We apologize if you were under the impression that you could access the lake from our beach. It’s for the safety of our guests that you cannot swim off our sandy beach. We are located on the main channel of the lake and boat traffic can make it dangerous for swimmers.
We appreciate your business, and hope that you will consider a future stay with us.

Best regards,

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I have such a hard time finding a place to vacation that will be fun for my 13 and 15 year olds, this place was perfect! In fact I think it would be perfect for any ages!! We chose the price option of lake view and to be assigned at checkin. We got a room in Tar-Tar-A Estates, which is on property but not in the main buildings. Parking was very hard to find on Memorial Day weekend, but it was fine because they have a comp shuttle that is very prompt and will take you to and fro as much as you need. We started with the spa/salon. I had a massage by. Debbie that was the best I ever had!!!! Then I got a much needed hair cut and color and my son got a hair cut. My daughter also got her nails done. All that was $200. There are several pools, an indoor by the salon, an outdoor small one by the main buildings and then an awesome outdoor one down the hill with a water slide and a kiddie pool area, and a bar at the pool. Both pools overlook the lake. They literally opened the brand new lobby minutes before we arrived. It's gorgeous and has a very cool bar/lounge. Prepare to do some walking, even though the main buildings are all together, it is a huge property. The only negative experience I had was all the hills! They did have golf cart shuttles even for that but they were harder to come by on the fly. We did not do the water park, it was $17 and we didn't really want to be inside, plus my kids were a little too old for it. We had a blast at miniature golf, it was $7.50 per person, second game immediately was $3.75 ea. Building B has a very modern arcade, a 10 lane bowling alley, Sbarro, Burger King, a restaurant and a bar! The arcade was $10 for 600 points, the bigger games were 60-75 pts ea. we didn't bowl so I don't know the price for that. There is also a 9 hole golf course right there but we didn't do that either. You can rent a golf cart to just ride around the property, $150 per day I think. They also have a lot of water activities, like wave runners, pontoon boats, ski boats, parasailing, etc. I only did the ski boat with a tube. It was $75 per hour 2 hours min., plus $15 for the tube plus gas. It was about $60 for gas. The wave runner was $90 per hour, but I don't know the price on the rest. This resort seriously has something for everyone. It is not rundown, like some reviews say, it's just a bit outdated in areas but they are clearly remodeling all that. The Tan-Tar-A estates are made up of little houses. It's so beautiful in there. Our room was quite spacious and they promptly delivered a roll out bed when my kids didn't want to share a bed. The staff was exceptional, everyone we dealt with was friendly and service oriented. They had an awesome fireworks show for Memorial Day on Sunday night. It was a fabulous weekend!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear cheyanne040277,

Thank you for your business and for taking the time to review your recent stay at Tan-Tar-A Resort. We are so thrilled that you had a fabulous weekend with us and enjoyed several of our recreational activities. It’s exciting to hear that Debbie gave you the best massage you have even gotten!
We hope that your memorable visit will stay with you for a lifetime! Again, thank you for your wonderful review, and we hope to have the pleasure of your return!

St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed 2 nights in the Estates and had a wonderful time. Golf, swimming and relaxing on the deck with was great. The condo was well stocked with anything we needed and bed was comfortable. It was a little noisy at night but all noise stopped at 11:00.

• Stayed May 2014
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Linda C,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the pools, golf and the beautiful lakeview from your room during your stay at Tan-Tar-A. We appreciate your business and hope you get a chance to visit us again in the near future.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I attended an expo last year and won a weekend stay here. I must say this place is fantastic. We will definitely be back. We had a great time, everyone was very nice and helpful. The grounds were beautiful. We got to stay in the new rooms, with a balcony and lake view. The rooms were clean and fresh, room service was awesome but a little high as expected. Talk about spoiled! There is a bar, restaurant, bowling alley, pizza place, gift shops, boutiques and water park. We will be back for sure, I highly recommend.

In addition, if you choose to leave the resort looking for snacks, maybe a cheap bottle of wine, or what have you, there is a service station that is right across the street from the resort. You literally don't have to go anywhere. No 20 minute drive into town, right across the street.

Thanks Tan-Tar-A!!

Room Tip: Ask for the new rooms with a lake view. You may get an older one if you don't.