I have visited this resort several times as a child, and I had wanted to bring my own children back for many years, but I was hesitant because of all the reviews stating the place was seriously outdated. I normally prefer luxury hotels, but when I am at the lake (we also have our own home on the lake of the Ozarks) I don't mind a little more rustic or retro accomodations (its like a little trip back in time). We finally ended up coming to TanTara for a convention my husband was attending, and the kids and I had so much fun, we came back again last summer so that my husband could enjoy the resort with us.
We have stayed in both the estates complex and the main building, and I although did prefer the room in the estates complex because it was more spacious and updated, I had no problem with the main complex room, perhaps because it reminded me of my childhood stays. The main reason I come here is to have as many activities as possible without having to drive all over town just to do them. I certainly don't mind paying a little more for the convienence.
The pool(s) are fabulous, and if you are looking to save money, they can entertian kids (at least my kids) all day, especially the Arrowhead pool with its awesome slide. I love that I can get poolside drinks and snacks (you can even have a pizza delivered). There are ample lounge chairs and deck space, so you don't have to fight for a place to lay out and read, and the views of the lake from the Arrowhead pool are fabulous.
Yes, the indoor waterpark is pricey, but if you go early, you can spend plenty of time there. The slides are really fun and it was never crowded. The only downside is that the lazy river is a little shallow, but it is still enjoyable as long as you don't let your feet drag! There is plenty to do there to make it worth the price.
We also enjoyed the Tropic Island cruise (try the Grasshooper-a delicious frozen minty cocktail), horseback riding, mini golf, and renting a golf cart to explore the beautiful property.
The food at the BlackBear lodge is a little pricey, but it is good, and, again, the convienence of not having to drive to town is worth it. The pizza is also a quick option, and we LOVE the ice cream and souvineir shops in the main building!
We are going back this week, and I can't wait to see the newly renovated lobby, although I am of the opinion that the older style of property's buildings and interiors only add to it's charm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Tan-Tar-A Resort, we provide guests endless excitement with an abundance of year roundrecreational activities in a casual and relaxed resort setting with an experienced team offriendly staff. Conveniently located on the shores of the Lake of the Ozarks in Central Missouri,Tan-Tar-A Resort offers a great value for families, couples, and conference attendees with:- Exciting water adventures including wave runners, and ski, pontoon & paddle boatrentals- Wet, wild indoor family fun at Timber Falls Indoor Waterpark- 27 holes of championship golf with tree-lined fairways, rolling hills and breathtakingvistas of the Lake of the Ozarks- The “Bears Den” Arcade, guided horseback trail rides, miniature golf, a bowling alley andtwo outdoor tennis courts provide guests of all ages a variety of fun experiences- Seasonal supervised fun for kids ages 4-12 at “Kids Kabin” and “Camp Tan-Tar-A”. Whilethe adults are golfing or enjoying a romantic day at the spa, the kids can have the timesof their lives with a variety of affordable fun activities2- Windjammer Spa and Salon is the place to spend a day nourishing your body and soul inan intimate, relaxed setting- 9 restaurants & lounges available to suit every palate and pocketbook, from hardycasual Ozark favorites to lakeside dining- Over 90,000 square feet of customizable indoor meeting space with 30 meeting rooms,as well as multiple scenic outdoor venues- Experienced, down-to-earth conference planning team offering solutions to unique groupevents- Personalized, custom wedding services, down to the last detail ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tan-Tar-a Resort, Golf Club, Marina And Indoor Waterpark
- Tan-Tar-a Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark Hotel Osage Beach
- Osage Beach Tan Tar a Resort
- Tan Tara Resort
- Tan Tar Hotel Osage Beach
- Tan Tar Resort Osage Beach
- Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark Lake Of The Ozarks/Osage Beach, MO