“Just Honk at the Back Door” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 27 Restaurants in Nevada
Cuisines: Hamburgers
Houston, Texas
“Just Honk at the Back Door”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I love the Grill. I grew up here and it's the first place I stop for a Vanilla Coke the minute I arrive in town. If you do nothing more than get off the new Interstate to pull up and honk for service and get a Vanilla Coke, do that! Just do it. While I'm home visiting family and friends you can find a Vanilla Coke in the cup holder of my car 99.9% of the time.

The burgers can be an acquired taste. They are greasy, very thin, never frozen patties of flavor. Please do not order anything but a hamburger or a cheeseburger "with" (grilled onions) because you will be disappointed. I read reviews here of people trying to eat something off the menu besides their burgers and not liking the place at all. So unless you are going for breakfast and get a "Mess" just order the burgers.

The suzies - long thin twists of freshly cut curly potatoes - are a must to share as well. They aren't nearly as greasy as I remember them being as a kid.

Why 4 stars instead of 5 since this place is a must for me? The last couple times I've been in the place has been, well, a filthy mess in the dining room area. Food on the floor, fries and crumbs on the booth seats, tables that hadn't been wiped off and general nastiness that could be so easy to remedy if someone just got a broom and a soapy rag every once in a while.

Stick to the pull up and honk drive through. I don't know if I can go back in again. It nearly ruined the sweet memories for me.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Springfield
“Nevada is my husbands hometown, even though he has no family here now we make excuses to return...just to have SUZY-Q's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband was born and raised in Nevada...no longer has family here, and he moved away in the 60's. We make any excuse to come back for the SUZIE-Q' s and a White Grill hamburger. They are fabulous!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nevada, Missouri
“Great Burger and Fries”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Home-style restaurant that reminds you of your home town burger shop. I heard around town that they created the orginal Suzy-Q fries. They were pretty good.

Visited March 2013
Cincinnati
“I Ate here Every Day for a Week! Any Questions?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

OMG! Now this place is why I travel to work. Order the 1/2 mess for breakfast, call work and tell them you'll be in after your nap. I never finished the whole thing, even after six tries. The cook prepared every meal from scratch, so if your in a hurry, give yourself plenty of time, to enjoy a feast. We were five minutes away from work, I arrived an hour early, after the first day, to enjoy my chow. I even mixed it up, customized my mess with different ingredients and each day, this was my highlight, to start a twelve hour gig. Order the biscuit grilled, by far one of the best biscuits I ever had. The same locals, are there in there same seats, every morning and the staff are really friendly.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fort Scott, Kansas
“Great hometown homecook food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This restaurant have the best homecooked food with the friendliest people. This service is extremely fast and then every one is always in a great mood. The workers and patrons seem like one big family.

Visited October 2012