“Stay Away! (Currently named: Country Hearth Inn)” 1 of 5 stars

Country Hearth Inn & Suites
900 Vance Road, Mexico, MO 65265   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Mexico
Southeast Michigan
“Stay Away! (Currently named: Country Hearth Inn)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

I attempted to stay at the property, now called the Country Hearth Inn, in June of 2007. Though I had changed my reservation for arrival a day later via the toll free number, upon check in was informed I would be charged for the night before my arrival. When I suggested that I would choose to stay elsewhere, clerk smirked and said "You won't be able to find another room."

Another call to the toll-free number and I was advised that she is incorrect to charge me, but that I should take it up with the property owner directly and call the corporate HQ to complain. Clerk informed me that the property owner was "out of town" and would not be back. I decided to check in despite the problem (it has the only pool in town) and then the clerk made a point of giving me a second floor room (no elevator--warning if you are disabled). I was with 2 young children and had a lot to carry. I demanded a first floor room and then clerk said that I was no longer welcome and she was canceling the reservation so that she would not have to "deal with me" for the next 4 days! She was so awful that I actually called her some choice words--in front of my children!

I refused to leave until she refunded any money charged; she agreed to do so and showed me a statement with a zero balance. I now find that my money was not refunded and I filed a complaint with my credit card company.

Oddly, upon checking in to the Days Inn down the road, I encountered a former guest of Country Hearth who had had a very similar experience--and never got his money back. Beware...the pool is not worth supporting this kind of business! I am sending a letter of complaint to the corporate office. Will update with any useful information.

• Liked — Indoor pool
  • Disliked — The crazy woman at the front desk
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wichita KS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

We occasionally travel to Mexico, MO. For us it's long enough drive we often end up spending the night in a hotel for one night before returning home. Most of the time, I prefer a little nicer accomadations than economy but, for one night I figured saving $40 to $60 would be worth it.

As an economy hotel Amerisuites is very nice, clean and quite. The rooms are basic and do have a single cup coffee maker. There is a nice but small indoor pool and hot tub. The front desk is not manned 24/7 but there is a courtisy phone if you need assitance. They also offer a continental breakfast starting at 06:00 AM in the morning.

However, this is definately an economy hotel and if you're use to Hilton's or Marriott's you might not be happy. We were in a first floor room (105) and, while it was quite, the curtains did not block out the parking lot lights so it was not as dark as we would like. We also found the beds to be inexpensive mattresses which were harder than either of us care for. Thus, we did not get a good nights sleep. It also took a very long time for the water to warm up at 04:00 for shower and when it did, it wasn't very warm.

Overall this is a very nice hotel if you're looking for something inexpensive. It is clean and well maintained. However, it's just not what we're looking for at our age in a hotel and next time I'll spend the extra $$ for a litte nicerroom, a little nicer bed and maybe a room with curtains that are large enough to block out the parking lot lights.

• Liked — Very clean accomadations, well maintained property
  • Disliked — economy bedding, luke warm bath water, curtains didn't block out parking lot lights
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2005

We only live 30 miles from the motel, but decided to stop there for the evening after a long day of traveling. The manager and front desk personel were very nice and the stay was nice. Unfortunatly I can't comment on the pool, as we were all too tired to leave the room. We will probably return someday to visit the pool. I would recommend the motel.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
st. louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2005

Our visit to this Amerihost was wonderful, the owner was very sweet and very accomidating, she and her staff went out of their way to see that all of our needs were mwt. Yes I would definetly stay here again

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2004

We stayed in the jacuzzi suite and it was beautiful, the staff was wonderful, indoor swimming pool, breakfast was excellent.

Been to Country Hearth Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!