“Not what I expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis to your Saves list
Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   191 Westport Plaza, Maryland Heights, Saint Louis, MO 63146   |
Ranked #11 of 16 hotels in Maryland Heights
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“Not what I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton recently for a conference. I do not usually write long reviews, but this one needs to be written out. I tried to be fair about the experience....

The hotel overall is nice looking and appears to be kept up well for the most part. The meeting areas were nice, but a bit difficult to get from one place to another as you had to go outside (during cold weather, this was a problem) or walk all the way back up, through the lobby, down a long hall, etc... It is located in an area close to several nice eating places which you can easily walk to (they are right outside the hotel and part of the overall property).

I was on a club floor and had access to the club lounge. This was a nice touch as you were able to get cold water or drinks, breakfast in the AM (which was pretty standard, but good) and evening appetizers (OK). The staff in the club lounge were friendly and there is a nice view of the lake from it.

The room was spacious with a very comfortable bed. Bathroom small, but really didn't matter to me. There was a small balcony I did not use due to the weather being cold. The wifi was in and out, but there was a ethernet wire in the room which was great and solved the issue.

The cons: Housekeeping. Although my room was pretty clean (you could see dust around the shelving in the bathroom and around the corners but not a huge issue), dirty dishes (which were not mine) sat outside of it on the floor until the next day (and housekeeping was in the room next door when I came in, so I was surprised they did not pick these up). The second day, due to a business call I had to hang the privacy sign on the door until noon. I left and housekeeping was on the floor still. I was surprised to find my room three hours later had not been touched - apparently when they saw the privacy sign on the door, they didn't bother to check back. The next day, I came back to my room at 2 PM and no housekeeping (no sign was put on the door this day). I had to call the front desk and request it. To their credit, someone did come up but did a spotty job (left dirty cups and plates in the room clearly set off to the side to be taken out - I had to ask them to take the dirty dishes - must be some sort of issue for them..?).

My friend was sent to a room which had not even been cleaned yet and had to be moved to another room. Her new "clean room" was great except there were hypodermic needles in the recycle container and she had to call the front desk a COUPLE OF TIMES to get this resolved (the desk clerk asked her "what to you want me to do about it?" when she called the first time). To be fair, they did finally come up and remove the recycle container and offered her compensation (however....they first offered to comp the room but it was already paid for...so they next offered her a desert..??!..which she declined...finally they did try to make it right by giving her a free night stay elsewhere). I would not include this in my review if I had not been present to witness it. My recommendation is the management address housekeeping issues as well as the response to major housekeeping issues (as a person with a doctorate in health care, I can tell you that hypodermic needles in a recycle container or ANYWHERE in a room is a reason to respond swiftly due to the health problems this presents). To be fair, I did not have any major health hazards in my room.

The other con - the food for room service and in the restaurant in the hotel was not good and way overpriced. I was surprised. Some of it was OK, but the room service menu was not good (I ordered a couple of overpriced items and they were not good). The servers in the dining room (not the bar area - the bar servers were great) were less than enthusiastic about helping you and almost appeared irritated to seat us which I found odd as the lunch was a buffet and they were only responsible for drinks. It seemed to be a problem to bring you iced tea or diet coke. Will not be eating there again.

So, to sum up - overall nice hotel, nice room (if you can get a clean one), club lounge is good. Recommend going out to eat at other places on the property and ensuring you do not have any dirty dishes (or anything else) in your room as they will not be taken away until you specifically ask. Would I stay again? I might...but I would make sure my room was clean before I accepted and I would not eat in the hotel building.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Westport Hotels for your recent stay and for your feedback.

I would like take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience you encountered during your recent stay. Here at the Sheraton Westport, we understand that our guest want a clean comfortable room and everything in working order. We regret the inconvenience that was caused and want to assure you that steps have been taken to ensure that similar situations do not re-occur.

Once again please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that was caused but truly appreciate your efforts in bringing this to our attention. I also would like to assure you that all of us here at The Sheraton Westport are dedicated to complete customer satisfaction.

We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate this commitment again.

246 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Vandalia, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We always choose this hotel when in the St. Louis area. Can't say enough about it. The rooms are clean, spacious and the beds are WONDERFUL. Have never run into a staff member who wasn't courteous and would go out of their way to help you. Hotel is close to numerous good restaurants as well as a comedy club. Shuttle to airport available

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonWestportPlz, Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear allthetimefun,

Thank you so much for the review! We sincerely appreciate and value your feedback. I will share your comments with our team and thank them for providing such personal service. The Sheraton Westport Hotels is dedicated to exceeding our guests' expectations and providing above and beyond service. We are delighted that you will be visiting us again and we stand ready for your arrival!

Thank you!
Hartsville, South Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My company puts us up in this hotel often. I've been here probably 12 separate times. The location is good. Lots of restaurant options, comedy club and bars within 400 feet of the front door. Nice employees but there are much nicer hotel options available.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Thomasja37,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us

We are pleased to hear that you enjoy our property and the Westport plaza with lots of eating options, comedy club & Jazz & blues club.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel! We really appreciate it
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed here on a four-night business trip. Check-in went quickly, I got a nice large room with a king-size bed, desk and comfy sofa. The room was clean and also had a coffee machine and a classy closet.
I had a couple of beers at the hotel bar on two nights, where the friendly ladies served us with a smile and a chat. I used the breakfast buffet only once there, it has enough choices and it's enough to start your day with good energy.
The location is close to the airport and the Westport area adjacent to the hotel has lots of bars and restaurants where you can spent your evening after a hard and long working day.
Overall a good stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The evening manager, a younger woman whose name unfortunately I can't recall, was just wonderful. When we had a problem (the hotel's shuttle didn't run early in the morning which we didn't know although the info is on their website), she fixed everything and had a taxi waiting for us at the appropriate time. She gave us a clean and quiet room in an updated area of the hotel and essentially made us happy. I will never forget her kindness. Cost was low compared to many other hotels that night (the Blues v. Blackhawks game was that night), and the bed was very comfortable. I'd stay here again if I needed to be in this part of St. Louis.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear TookT,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Westport for your recent stay and taking the time to provide your review! I will share your comments with our staff and thank them for their service!

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and all the amenities we offer. For future reference our shuttles start at 6:30am and stop at 11PM daily

We look forward to connecting with you in the near future

Thank you again for your time!
St. Louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We hosted a sci-fi convention here in early 2012. It was more expensive than any other hotel we'd used, but we made the concession because we needed more space. At first, it seemed okay. They were a little odd about allowing us to bring all of our staff on a tour of the place, but overall, the contracting process was fine. I figured, since I'd seen another sci-fi con here, it would be great.

Then things started to go wrong. The week before the convention, my catering manager started making demands on me - extra meetings, extra paperwork. I obliged because, hey, at least I wouldn't have to do it all again next year, right? There was one problem after another during the convention. The hotel staff had communication problems, so I was constantly called down to the catering manager's office because of some miscommunicated complaint or another. Besides that, I rarely saw the staff. They didn't clean anything unless I asked them at least to take out the garbage. They weren't around asking if we needed anything. They were just, well, absent. Also, it took over an hour to get the airwall opened and then closed the one time we needed it ALTHOUGH IT WAS RIGHT THERE ON THE BEOs!

About the space... the spaces themselves are lovely, particularly the ballroom, but there is NO WAY to get between the main ballroom and the secondary ballroom without going up a flight of stairs, down a long hallway, across the lobby, and down another flight of stairs. The hotel decided midday on Saturday that they didn't like that people were walking across the lobby in costume despite there being no other way to get between the ballrooms. Also, for someone in a wheelchair, there's no way int the second ballroom at all except to take this convoluted ramp/hallway/lift combo that wastes a lot of time. Not a good layout at all, and all it would take to fix it is knocking out a couple of walls and adding a short hallway between.

Now for the way we were treated... like I said, we got complaints about people in the lobby in costume. This had not been a problem when I visited during Archon, as far as I know, but apparently when we were there, they were trying to impress some other groups staying at the hotel and didn't like how weird we all looked. When we first arrived, they made us bring everything in through the loading dock, which was okay, but then they tried to tell us only to use the loading dock when we were checking out with our personal stuff despite the inconvenience. I think they don't like seeing people dragging luggage across the lobby because it... looks bad? I mean... it IS a hotel.

Then, when the con was over, we were told that the only way we could come back is if we used only a small portion of the hotel and forbade people from crossing the lobby in costume. No thanks. That's not how conventions work, and the Sheraton needs to learn it.

I did find that we're not the only group to have had this problem. I have been there for two fannish events since and gotten shouted at for walking across the lobby in costume both times, each being a trip to my car.

Their suites are very nice, though. Big kitchens and private bedrooms.

Room Tip: The suites are really excellent!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you kindly for your feedback regarding the convention you held here at the Sheraton Hotels in Westport. My apologies that you felt as if the hotel did not treat you properly during your event. At the conclusion of your event we were under the impression that things had gone quite well as you asked us numerous times to rebook your convention, I can only apologize that you did not feel the same way. There were multiple complaints from other guests staying at the Sheraton that were not with your convention throughout your event, some of which were shared with you. It is a standard during any convention that we discuss any issues with the main contact for the convention in order to help resolve any issues and best serve all of our guests needs. We do strive for excellent guest service here at the Sheraton in Westport and can only apologize that we did not seem to provide our typical standard of service throughout your event. Thank you again for your feedback it is truly appreciated!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Centrally located at Westport plaza, the Chalet is a good safe bet if you like nicer hotels. Rooms are updated and bed is comfy. Service is decent, and if you get a good deal it's well worth it rather than risk it at an area motel. There are no refrigerators or microwaves or complimentary breakfast and room service is highway robbery of course. But there is a Panera nearby and a Mc Ds across the street.
A nice hotel experience in a great location.

• Stayed March 2013
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Jenisgirls,

Thank you for staying with us and for your positive feedback

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our property, we are conveniently located in Westport Plaza where there is lots of bars and restaurants all within walking distance from the hotel. Our beds are made specifically for Sheraton hotels and we are pleased you rested well.
Refrigerators are avaliable upon request and some of our rates do include breakfast for next time you stay with us.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to serving you in the near future.

Been to Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!