“Amazing Food, 1st class service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Prince of Wales, Kenfig

The Prince of Wales, Kenfig
Ton Kenfig | Nr Porthcawl Nr Bridgend Mid Glam, Kenfig, Porthcawl CF33 4PR, Wales
+44 1656 740356
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Kenfig
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Set on the edge of the beautiful Kenfig Nature Reserve and on the South Wales Coastal Path this Award winning family run free house is an icon of the Great British Pub. With a good selection of Regional and Local Guest Ales, all bar food is sourced as locally as possible and prepared freshly daily. Two open wood burning fires glow during the winter month, to give a very warm welcome to all travellers. The Pub is a place of special historic interest, showing many pictures of Local Shipwrecks and disasters, upstairs visit the Old Town Hall of the Ancient Norman City of Kenfig as shown on Time Team 2013. Visited by HRH Prince Charles 2013 New Zealand All blacks 2014 and many more
Bridgend,South Wales
“Amazing Food, 1st class service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Myself and my partner have been visiting here for the last 5 years, since moving to the area. The staff are so friendly and very polite.We have eaten at the restaurant many times and tonight was fantastic, the fish and chips are outstanding. My partner had a mixed grill and the meat well cooked and of a high quality.
The young lady serivg our meal was very attentive and there is awlays a warm welcome and great atmosphere.
If you enjoy a local, tasty well cooked meal please try here,ist a million miles away from the generic slop you have in may restaurants.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
timmyprince, Owner at The Prince of Wales, Kenfig, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonder full review, it means so much to us a business .
I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to you calling in the future

Many Thanks

London, United Kingdom
“A potentially good pub - but hospitality and service let's it down.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We booked a table for 5 adults and 1 toddler for fathers day.

Firstly - not the pub owners issue at all, but parking was a nightmare with a child and a disabled elderly man in tow. Other customers had basically parked like idiots meaning the car park was blocked up with many cars taking two spaces because of their bad parking so my husband dropped us and had to park on the main road - something to be aware of at busy times.

Secondly - This pub was not equipped to deal effectively with the volume of bookings it had taken today for Sunday lunch. Tables were squashed in, meaning that when 'anyone' in the room stood up, arrived or left, other people had to put their forks down and move the cumbersome chairs out of the way. Waitresses kind of had to lean over people and pass their meals along which I don't think is ideal.

Thirdly - The quality of food was OK. Nothing special and perhaps not as reliable in quality as a 'Toby' might be for a similar price.

My fourth and biggest issue was the service which I see many others have mentioned. Awful from the moment we walked in through the door. While trying to nudge past a very busy bar and locate other members of our party some rude barmaid snarled at my 2 year old and myself that "All 'em tables in 'ere are fully booked luv" - Indeed one was, by us. After squeezing into our seats no one came forth with a menu so my husband wondered about a bit and found one lying in a fireplace - We then ordered our meals at the bar - Apparently there was waitress service, but to be frank, the sardine can style setting meant she wouldn't have been able to deal with us at the table effectively anyway - well at least not without forcing one of us to put our head into their armpit. No one collected the menus, so we had to stack them on a table that was filled with dirty dishes.

When the meal arrived we were told bluntly to "Move yer stuff will ya cos there's a lotter veg to come" before plonking it down and vanishing. No one checked that the meal was OK. No one offered any condiments. Indeed no one asked if a highchair was required. No one asked if we were OK for drinks. Funny enough we didn't fancy desert and deserted the place as soon as we could.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
timmyprince, Owner at The Prince of Wales, Kenfig, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your honest appraisel of your visit, Firstly Car Parking when busy can be a nightmare and you only need one customer to just park without care for anyone else and then you have chaos.
I take your comments on over filling the Restaurant and agree and although it was Fathers Day and I we did try to accommodate everyone, Normally parties are between 4 and 6 but due to Fathers Day they were larger, However I have removed a full table from the Restaurant and it is much easier for both customers and staff to work .

You give us a great review on your first visit back last year and I hope that you again call to see us again

Again thank you your review and hope you will come back to try us again.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Pub's dont get better than this !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

First visit to Porthcawl/Kenfig area. They say you can't eat history, but if you want the most excellent fish and chips ever ( better even than the vaunted Beales @ Porthcawl !) and you want to experience what a local hostelry used to offer weary travellers over the ages, then go to this pub. The atmosphere is warm and genuine. Everything on the varied menu is of local provenance and home cooked. The apple pie with local cream is to die for.
The landlord, Gareth, is happpy to share his extensive knowledge of the buried Kenfigg town's medieval history, of which this pub is the survivor. The patina on the wooden chairs and tables is a subtle testimony to this pub having been at the heart of its community for generations, and with the range of local foods on the menu, it is sure to continue to be so.
I also cannot wait to return and discover more of everything.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much for your very honest review, it was great to hear that you enjoyed the deep sense on community that we have with the Pub, which has evolved with the fantastic history that we have and the love that not only I have but also the regulars in telling people about our past.

For this reason on July 5th just gone HRH Prince Charles visited us to as you did have a tour of the historic building and an insight to the history and stories that surround us.

If you look on our website in the next few days Pics of that will appear.
Christchurch
“What to say about one of the most amazing nights out EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

To Gareth and your lovely lady (the Publicans of the Prince of Wales), Ceri and Paul, 'Leaky' the plumber and all the wonderful people we met a few weeks ago a huge thank you. From the moment of entering we felt the incredible atmosphere of the pub and the people. The meal was fantastic, the tour so much fun and the funniest but interesting history lesson I have ever had Gareth. What to say about the kareoke - it was more of a concert performance with song after song performed by locals whose talent was astounding and I was truly humbled to be given the job of ringing the bell, although have to say I was a little worried it was the last drinks bell as I did not want the night to end! Thank you so much, we left a little of our hearts in Wales. Arohanui, Rosie and Doug Hohepa and Mary Baker

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much for your great review, it was a great night and myself and Julie really enjoyed your company and please when back come and see us.

In the meantime take care

Once again thank you very much for your company

Exeter, United Kingdom
“The Best Ever!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was absolutely the BEST experience I have had in any eating establishment while living in the UK. The owners are second to none. They made every effort to see that we were happy with our food. Everyone treated us like we were long time friends. The Welsh, I've discovered are wonderful people, friendly, outgoing and a joy to be around. The food was wonderful as well, but I was so grateful for the whole atmosphere and attitude of the people around us. No stiff upper lips, just plain old goodness.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
timmyprince, Owner at The Prince of Wales, Kenfig, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
I remember your visit very well, thank you so much for your excellent review, we did speak about
the importance of good service and I learned quite a lot from our conversation as well, so for that thank You.

It was great showing you the old town hall and speaking of the great History that we have in this area..

I hope you had a safe journey home to Exeter and please when you go home across the big Pond tell them to visit the Prince.

You have a good day, and thank you