“Lovely view still” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Colosseum Luxury Hotel

You added Colosseum Luxury Hotel to your Saves list
Colosseum Luxury Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Century Way and Century Boulevard, Century City 7441, South Africa (Formerly Protea Hotel Colosseum)   |
Offers & Announcements
Winter Weekend Save 35%
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Century City
RSA
“Lovely view still”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed 1 night in August. Was a bit concerned about the construction taking place across the way, but you can see that it's not going any higher and that means that all the rooms still have a lovely view of Table Mountain. The guest rooms are all on the 4th and 5th floors (I think conference rooms on floors below that). We stayed in room 414 and although I was concerned that it was close to the elevators, I never heard them, however the elevator part of the building seems to jut out a bit and that does block your view toward the ocean (Table Bay). Nice balcony the length of the bedroom and lounge, so not a problem really.
The room (executive suite) was very spacious and modern with bathtub part of the room, the shower and toilet are behind heavy tinted glass which only allows shadows to be seen when using at night with the light on inside - just a bit of a warning in case you are sharing with someone who is not your partner. I had read other reviews before going, so just to say that now they do have full length mirrors inside one of the cupboard doors. Figuring out which light is which switch takes some doing, and never figured out how to switch off the little light behind the toilet at night. The bed was huge with a TV at your feet, plus TV in the lounge area. The lounge area also had a kitchenette with fridge and microwave and kettle with usual tea/coffee/milk, plates, cups, glasses all there. And downstairs is a Woolworths Food market, so that was very handy. Obviously Canal Walk shopping centre is right there too just a little walk away. Ratanga Junction open in the school holidays for those of you who are kids at heart.
Staff all very friendly. Just a pity we had to leave in a hurry and left a shirt in the cupboard which I reported the next day but they never got back to me. I would recommend this hotel again. Good location, quick and easy to get around from here if you have your own/hire car, but can also walk around to shops, gym & amusement park.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing Table Mountain and closer to the Ratanga side (if you don't mind walking up t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ColosseumLuxuryHotel, Manager at Colosseum Luxury Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your positive and complimentary feedback on our product and service and your overall stay with us at the Colosseum Luxury Hotel.

We apologise that you have not received any feedback regarding your shirt that was left behind in the room. It was handed into our lost and found property department. Kindly advise if you are able to arrange collection or if we may arrange for it to be delivered to your postal or physical address. You may email me to make the necessary arrangements to mich@singergroup.co.za

We hope to welcome you back again soon so you can once again experience our true hospitality. We truly value your support.

Kind regards,
Colosseum Luxury Hotel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Dear Mr Stuart,

You might agree with me when saying that patrons are often inclined to be rather quick to complain when service is poor, however fail to acknowledge when it is good.

It is for this reason that I wish to advise that I was most impressed by the pleasant and attentive disposition of your waitress, Audrey when recently dining at your exquisite establishment. It is seldom that one encounters individuals whose passion for their product is so eloquently displayed and reminiscent in their dealings with the patron. I subsequently feel honoured to publicly commend Audrey for outstanding service and faultless professional behaviour. Excellent service in the hospitality industry is truly a reflection of adequate and effective thought-leadership by management.

Herewith reiteration of my sincere appreciation for outstanding service and my commitment to influence family, colleagues and friends to consider your hotel as a first and superior choice.

Regards,
Denver Bolton
Platinum Procard Member

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cumbria, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Great rooms, luxury stay at a very competitive price.
My only criticism is the waitress staff at your ChinChin Restaurant, my guesses are still waiting for the correct order of drinks. Some training will go along way with her.
also, when handing out room cards, make sure the internet login details are with the card, had to call three time to reception to get a login for wifi.
Free wifi upto 500mb.
Otherwise, food was great and service overall was fantastic.

Will stay again for sure.

Room Tip: All great rooms from what I could see.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ColosseumLuxuryHotel, Manager at Colosseum Luxury Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Mark,

We have addressed these concerns with our different managers and we will commit to continual staff training and development in these areas. We are excited to announce our new Food & Beverage Manager who will be starting with us on next week.

I hope your business brings you back again soon so you can once again experience our true hospitality. We truly value your support.

Kind regards,
Colosseum Luxury Hotel Team
George, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Over the past couple of weekends my family has been down to Cape Town. We booked a suite at the the Colosseum Luxury Hotel. The hotel is centrally situated and easy to access. They also have easy access to the shopping centre which was great for us.

We booked a suite which was shared by 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 4 and 2) and we all comfortably fitted in the suite. The rooms were nice and spacious and not once did we feel claustrophobic (as you do in other hotels because the rooms are so small). They lounge area housed our kids and had its own TV, so they had their own entertainment in the mornings. The bath and shower area were nice and modern and the kids loved the bath. Only problem area was the basin... the tap fits right into the centre of the basin and it made it difficult to shave, but that was so minor in the greater scheme of things. We received a discounted weekend rate which included a fabulous breakfast.

In the Canal Walk area, this is by far the best value for money hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Great value for money, definitely not our last visit. Rooms are well equipted, neat and spacious . Hotel is very central and close to everything . The staff were very friendly and helpfull. Safe undercover parking.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of table Mountain
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Location: The hotel is in the Century City district and not especially close to the down town Cape Town bars, beaches and attractions but is convenient for many of the larger roads so it lends itself well to the business traveller who needs easy access to the Western Cape more than the city break vacationer. Close to the hotel is a large shopping mall with a variety of eateries to try out (see my other reviews). Also built into the ground floor of the same building as the hotel is a nice coffee shop, a Woolworths Food Store and an excellent bar which seems to be open very early to quite late who offer a delicious range of light meals at very good prices.

Accommodation: I stayed in an executive suite. My hosts picked up the bill for my stay but I understand that for my off-peak stay they were paying about 950 ZAR per night which comes out about £65. This does not at all reflect the size and specification of the room at all! I had a separate lounge area with kitchenette off, a widescreen TV, sofa, arm chair and table. From here we go through to the bedroom which is a large double with a large and comfortable double bed a desk to work at, another TV and DVD. A freestanding bath and sink are in the room while the WC and shower are located in a decent sized mini wet room. Both bedroom and lounge have double French door access to the large balcony which has a fantastic view of Table Mountain, The Lions Head and the harbour and on a clear day you can see right out into the South Atlantic over the city skyline. Sunset behind the mountain is breath taking. Sunrise is pretty special too.

Readers should note that at time of writing there are two construction projects taking place adjacent to the hotel and although these did not disturb my stay it can affect the “restfulness” of sitting on the balcony if they are doing heavy work at that time.

The rooms and public areas are finished in an attractive contemporary style with innovative use of finishes, materials and lighting.

My only complaint would be that some of the fixtures in the room were showing signs of wear (a cupboard door reluctant to stay closed, loose trim around the shower control, etc.) and that in common with most modern built hotels the walls between the guest rooms are very thin. This was not an issue for me but had I been unlucky enough to have a noisy nocturnal neighbour it could have been…

Dining: I ate in the hotel for breakfast every day and for evening meals on a couple of occasions when I was not meeting with people for business.

Breakfast is a hearty selection of sausages, bacon, eggs, beans even haddock and stir fry on occasion. There are also cold cuts, fruit and yoghurt etc. I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast and by the end of my stay the fellow on the egg station knew exactly how I like my eggs!

Evening meals are in the same mezzanine level. I was very impressed by the quality of the meat, the service and the price. I like to try “something different” and there were lots of options on the menu which were indeed different. I think the chef is indulging a creative flair. Some dishes may be a little “fussy” for Western European tastes where we say “Less is more” but you have to at least try fillet beef with Massaman curry sauce and a ginger mash potato. I have to report this was delicious. My pick has to be the filo parcels butternut squash & feta. These were divine. Dining alone a full three courses, plus complimentary appetiser and craft baked bread with beers or wine was coming out ZAR 220 – 240 which is around £16 - £18 GBP.

Other Facilities: I didn’t see a fitness suite or a swimming pool although I doubt I would have had time to use either if they had them anyway. This is a small-medium size business hotel. What they do have is an excellent Chinese massage suite which is ideal to work out the knots after a long haul flight into Cape Town! I got a very full working over by an adept Chinese masseuse for a reasonable ZAR 450 for 45 minutes. There is ample secure car parking on site. You get a voucher for 500Mb of WiFi and top ups are available.

Service: This hotel EXCELS at service. Without exception the staff (most of whom fall into the “young and enthusiastic” category) were helpful and approachable. There are also a lot of staff on hand compared to a European hotel. Everyone was very obliging. As I was conducting some business meetings in my room I was able to arrange housekeeping to come at specific times to suit me. They don’t just tell you where something is, they take you there. As it isn’t a very large hotel you quickly get to be recognised by the staff and you recognise them and many of them are very friendly and this is a real boon when you are travelling on your own as a friendly smile and a bit of chatter is very welcome.

I would be very happy to stay here again when business brings me back to Cape Town and would recommend it to other business travelers who don’t need to be in the heart of Cape Town’s central business district.

Room Tip: Executive rooms face out over Table Mountain.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ColosseumLuxuryHotel, General Manager at Colosseum Luxury Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Akku_Nottingham
Thank you so much for your comments on our product and service and your overall stay with us at the Colosseum Luxury Hotel. I hope your business brings you back again soon so you can once again experience those awesome sunsets and sunrises. We truly value your support.
Kindest regards
Stuart Twine
zen in nowhere
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The location of the hotel is the biggest drawback. They claim that it is conveniently located for either business or pleasure but that is very misleading. It's good only if you have to be there for work at the Century City. There is nothing much to do there. And given the lack of proper public transport, getting to and back from the city can be quite an adventure. We quickly realised that and rented a car - it was around the New Year and getting another hotel at that time wasn't a possibility. The hotel is good as a business hotel, with very large and contemporary rooms where you can almost call them service rooms with a separate living area and a bedroom - albeit no doors to separate. The bathtub outside in the bedroom was a surprise, so be careful you know who you are staying with! The staff are very helpful and that was the highlight of the stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Colosseum Luxury Hotel? Share your experiences!