“Nice Indiana State Park” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 11 things to do in Liberty
Frankfort, in
29 attraction reviews
“Nice Indiana State Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Very nice state park with family cabins. 200 acre lake that is restricted to trolling motor, canoe, rowboat, paddle boats only. Nice camping area with both electric and non-electric hook ups. Nine miles of trails. Also has horse trail rides. Has really nice cabins for rent. Nice beach with swimming and a nice bath house. Hornbeam Nature Preserve is within the park.

Visited June 2014

Chattanooga, TN
17 attraction reviews
“The worst state park experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Since it was Memorial Day Weekend, I expected a crowded and less-than-perfect campground, but this reached far beyond that--downwards. First, my assigned space was occupied by the people next door. It took me an hour to find a staff person who could investigate. He said they'd move--but they really didn't clear out, leaving toys and bikes and trash in my space. Although I was told by staff that there were no more spaces of any kind, I found several unoccupied tent sites. The occupants had probably left--possibly in disgust. Loud music continued long after quiet hours, and the park staff was not around to ask for quiet. I wasn't going to ask folks who were obviously quite drunk to chill, and it wasn't my responsibility anyway. But things got worse! In the women's rooms--all of them I could find--I had to roll up my pants to wade through the overflowing fecal-laden toilets. There was no toilet paper, but plenty of used "sanitary" napkins spilling out of every receptacle. No doubt the holiday crowds challenged the staff's capacity, but something had to be done, even if that meant hiring extra help, because this state park was a health hazard that night. I am not exaggerating. Incidentally, the Indiana DNR web site is extremely difficult to use and offers little information, but I assumed the facilities would be more competently run. I was wrong--at least about this park.

Visited May 2014
Fairfield, Ohio
“Great Place for Family Camping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We had a great experience this past weekend in our popup. Although a bit dated, the bathrooms and showers were clean and stocked. Th e staff were friendly and helpful at check-in and the scheduled activities (it was snake weekend!). The beach was clean and the kids played in the water for hours. The campsite itself was a good size and matched the description on the reservation systems. The playgrounds were plentiful and safe.

Visited June 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Trashy - stay away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

We took the kids camping for the weekend. Thought we would try someplace new. What a mistake. The old man at check in station has business being in there by himself. He was totally clueless. Took over 20 minutes to check in we even had a reservation. Was camped across from bathhouse (if that is what you call it) I never saw anyone cleaning it all weekend. It was the worse bathhouse I ever saw. I couldn't believe this is a state park. No one at this park takes any pride in their job. I would recommend staying at Mounds down the road or even a local dumpster would be cleaner than this place.

Visited April 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Couldn't wait to leave”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

My son Mark and I were exploring places to go camping nearby the Civil War reenactment in Connorsville. It was fun because we didn't have reservations and had time to drive around a bit. The attendant at the state park gate took forever with some issue he was working; and failed to acknowledge us in any way ... which took some effort seeing that we were idling right next to him with our suburban firing on all 8 cylinders and 30" travel trailer. When it came time to acknowledge us; I said we just wanted to check out the campground to see if we wanted to stay there. He made us pay $7 which I thought was absurd. I paid it and then approached another attendant at the entrance to the campground. I explained that we wanted to check it out and you would had thought I had three heads as if that was some kind of bizarre request. He told us sternly that we could pass through but we must not set up. I "promised" him we wouldn't set up. The park seemed like a total bore and was depressing. There was no one there and it seemed depressing and lonely. The clouds seemed darker overhead. We couldn't leave soon enough. I did stop by the first attendant on the way out and requested my $7 back for the 9 minutes we were in the park. The attendant asked for my receipt as if he had never seen me before. After fishing through the car I produced the receipt which he examined as if making sure it wasn't a forgery from my state park receipt making empire. The only positive thing was getting my $7 back. Couldn't leave soon enough. We ended up at robinsons whitewater river campground which has been great! I will separately review robinsons.

Visited April 2014