“Great catfish, sides need work” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great catfish, sides need work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Just as the title states, the sides are mediocre, otherwise I could rate this higher... I have been here a few times and tried various sides and been disappointed, especially since the catfish itself is great... Step your game up!

Visited August 2013

Tel Aviv, Israel
“Excellent place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

very nice place in Lebanon, MO, right on Route 66. Excellent smoked BBQ ribs. Try also the fried pickles. The hospitality was excellent.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Des Moines, IA
“Not As Good As Expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Having grown up in an area with catfish as a regular part of the menu, I have pretty high standards. Many of the reviews and the numerous billboards in the area touted Dowds as having the best catfish in the area. The fist was coated and fried in the proper coating. However the coating was a little thick for my taste. The meals come with three sides. My fries had been cooked earlier and then had sat around for awhile and were cool and rubbery. The Cole Slaw was excellent and a side salad was passable. The service was quick. The clientele was mostly older. Overall it was okay, but nothing I would drive out of my way for.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Springfield, Missouri
“Loved the catfish!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Had lunch there with a large group of guys after we floated the Niangua river. I had the catfish and was delighted I did - very tasty! With the slaw, fries & beans I had more than enough to eat. Very pleasant server who kept my drink refilled promptly, always a plus for me, even though there was 13 of us eating! Looking forward to a return visit!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Camdenton, Missouri
“Best Catfish House in the Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Great food and great people. I always take my out of town business guests to Dowds for some "local" food. The catfish is great and reminds me of some of the best Fish Houses in Arkansas and futher south.

• Visited July 2013