“Back Home Catfish Meal” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Auxvasse
“Back Home Catfish Meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

It feels like a hole in the wall as you drive up to it. Then you walk in and there is no mistaking that you are in a theme restaurant. The shelf and junk for sale really give it away. We were there early in the evening and were quickly shown to a table. The waitress were real. They were home town girls with very little training but nice. One of them even snorted when I asked what Beers they have on tap. There is no alcohol in this place.
The food. Not bad. Not great. The fish was crispy and good. I have had better, but it was still good. Pork was interesting. They asked if I wanted it sliced or chopped. I chose chopped. It came looking like dog food, but it tasted very good. I was expecting no texture, but there was some, it just looked nasty. My son had the ribs. He said they tasted good, but were chewy. Some people like chewy. Baked potato was wonderful. Beans were good.
Yes, I will come back when I am in the area.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Crocker, Missouri
“Perfect blend Breaded Catfish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have been going to this establishment since it was first opened by Kevin Dowd several years ago. Until food prices got so high(every where), I averaged dining there once a week and the quality was excellent. It has changed owners, and has been remodeled but the quality has stayed very near the same. The catfish filets have perfect blend breading and is almost always cooked to perfection. I have not tried the BBQ, but family members rate it as "very good". They generally have a rather steady flow of customers and the service is regulated accordingly. Servers are cheerful and courteous.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jefferson City
“One of our favorites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Don't make it to Dowd's often, but it is always so good. Catfish is perfectly breaded and fried. You get 3 sides and we've tried most all of which are delicious. Service is fast and decent. Not overly impressed with service, but usually busy so I think its lack of time not anything with servers per say. All in all we love it and will continue to come back

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Family lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We were in Lebanon today and it was cloee to lunch time so we were looking for somewhere to go, my wife said how about Dowds. I was in the mood for fish and my son really like ribs so Dowds was our choice. We were seated right away and drinks brought quickly. My son wanted ribs but the kids menue rib meal only had two ribs included so he and I split a 1/2 slab with two sides (fries and side salad) my wife had the tenderloin sandwich.
The ribs had very good flavor and the fries were very good, my wifes sandwich was good no complants it was what she was wanting. The ribs however were a little on the tough side, my son and I did bring 2 of the six home with us. His eyes are bigger than his stomach. As my wife and I were sitting there an order of catfish was brought out to the table next to us and we both thought that looks good, so we broke down and ordered 2 pieces of fish. Just what we wanted, hot fast and delicious.
We will be back sometime and the service was great (thanks Sara, I think that was her name). I would recommend they have a great selection of food and you will leave full.

Camdenton, Missouri
“Our favorite place in Lebanon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and son love the catfish with a big baked potato, and beans. My favorite is the smoked brisket.The green beans are real good. Onions rings very big. The service is very good fast , friendly, and very good about refills. What more can I say it is very awesome!

• Visited February 2013